Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

potty training

crazy_girlcrazy_girl
posted 9 years 9 months ago
hi..at what age is best to start potty training..i was thinking of buying a potty just for jessica to sit on so she gets used to it..then start potty training her in summer..is she too young to start??

what ages did u startpotty training your children?

GTTkelGTTkel
It depends on the child, girls usually do it alot more easily and earlier than boys. The thing is they are only able to do it when they physically have control over their bladders so regardless of how persistent you are if their body is not physically ready it wont happen. I trained my girl as soon as she had her second birthday and she got the hang of it within about 5 days. I will try my boy this summer when he's 2 but if he doesn't get the hang of it quickly I'll leave it again for a few months as everyone I have spoken to say with boys it's more like when they're 3. But of course you can get a potty and encourage her if you want to.

catgirl_872catgirl_872
does ur ticker say shes 10 months? if so then yes i would of thought shes a bit young but not really if u start in the summer cus my friend potty trained her daughter a couple of months b4 she turned two and did really well.
im gonna potty train kieran on the easter hols so hes not with the childminder when we try.
they say ur ment to train kids at 2 years and after because of control of the bladder or somethin xx

Irish_RoseIrish_Rose
Tara was just over a year old when i started to potty train her. I started by letting her sit on it and get used to it. She didnt succeed at the start so i left her for a while and tried her again and she did it she was about a year and a half at the time Very Happy

crazy_girlcrazy_girl

Irish_Rose said:
Tara was just over a year old when i started to potty train her. I started by letting her sit on it and get used to it. She didnt succeed at the start so i left her for a while and tried her again and she did it she was about a year and a half at the time Very Happy

yeah thats what i want to do with jessica..buy one and let her sit onit so she gets used to it..shes 11 months old...i want her to be potty trained early as other familt members whos 5 in two months are still in nappys and i dont want it with jessica

AlexAlex Moderator
I did Jospeh the month after he was 2 and he was done in 3 days. I stayed at home with him and left him running around with nothing on and kept saying wee wee and sitting him on the Potty. We were like that for 2 days and on the 3rd I went to my mums. And that was 2 and 1/2 years ago.

I wish I could get the night time to go as well. although that might be coming, he doesnt like the wt feeling of the pull ups and says he doesnt want to wear them. Wonder how I will be spending my easter holidays Rolling Eyes

candgsmumcandgsmum
I did Charlotte when she was 2yrs 3 months because she wasn't ready before that, we would just put her on the potty but she didn't really like it to begin with. We just left her one day with no pants and after a couple of accidents she would shout wee and we would put her on the potty. Within a few days she would get it herself and got the hang of it. The only thing we had problems with was pooing LOL. She was dry through the night about 1 week after learning to use the potty!

George is almost 20 months so we are leaving the potty around so he knows it's there as he follows Martin into the loo LOL, so we think he's just begining to start becoming interested in using the loo.

Lynn_OLynn_O
my DD is 18 months and i have shown her the potty and explained it to her, she pulls at her nappy half the time before she has a poo but if I show her the potty snd try take her nappy off she panics??

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
I tried with Aaralyn about 2 years old but she wasn't ready (she had access to a training potty from about 18 months old but never showed interest) at about 2 1/2 years old we started again on a Friday she got it by the end of that weekend with lots of changes of underpants! Cuckoo

She regressed a little about a month later and then was back on track completey again after an accident or 2.

She may be a little young yet so don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen right away Smile Good luck hun!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews