Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

9 year old shown a horror film on a sleepover

EsmereldaEsmerelda
posted 1 decade 1 year ago
My 9 year old daughter went on a sleepover. She was given nothing to eat for the 24 hours she was there and the parents disappeared after putting "The Omen" (Cert 18) on for the kids to watch.

I am furious but the parents, when confronted, didn't seem to think it a big deal. I am trying to find out what other people think or even if there have been laws broken. I want to have my say with the parents but need backup on my stance.

Irish_RoseIrish_Rose
Well i dont agree with showing a child a horror film for one gremlins scares tara. Some parents might think its ok. As for not giving a child something to eat for 24hours i think is rediculous Tounge Out

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
omg!!! id be blooming fuming too. i know what yr trying to say but unfortunately some ppl are like this. my ex husbands family used to watch horrors and his sisters were 14 and 7yrs old. i thought it was disgusting, but theres nothing you can do about it really. my DD is 12 in may and i still wont let her on a sleepover. i just dont trust ppl.

good luck though. i hope you find some other parents to back you up

mrsbonjovimrsbonjovi
oh my god, and these people call themselves parents???? katie loves a good scary film (shes 5 and gremlins is her fav) but i wouldnt dream about showing them to someone elses child

JOJOJOJO
think I would just not let her stay there anymore or even go round and leave it at that

candgsmumcandgsmum
I would be pretty fuming too! Charlotte gets scared at Harry Potter lol, so we are very careful on what we watch in front of her.

As for not feeding her, thats just silly. As JOJO suggested I probably would just explain to your daughter that she won't be allowed to stay there anymore.

GTTkelGTTkel
God if my kids have friends over even for a couple of hours I offer them food and drink. As for the film, well I wouldn't put it on for my kids for fear of scaring them and giving them nightmares, but I'd be even more wary of showing it to someone elses kids incase their parents had a go at me. So I would fully expect you to have a go at them.

YUMMYMUMMY83YUMMYMUMMY83
Wot gets me is if that if went on in one of the other little girls houses the parents in question would proberly go of on one. What a shame 4 your wee lass, im mad at the parents for not feeding her!and that sort of film at that age just isnt rite im 24yrs old and i wud've been scared i hate scary films. My wee girls just 2(going on 22 lol) and she loves a film at nite but recently she's bn sayn thers monsters under her bed bcoz of monsters inc so i dont let her watch it on her own bcoz she wakes up havn bad dreams Suspect

hapydazyhapydazy
Yea, I'd be really, really angry! Mad

They should not have left a young child alone to watch such a movie!! That movie scares the shikies outta me and I'm 38 years old! As for the no food, well I would call that abuse personally... What are these people like other wise? Seems to be a bit lacking in the good parenting department at their house!

Good luck and let us know how you got on with this situation if you end up bringing it up to them again.

waldopepperwaldopepper
Tounge Out sorry but i wudnt let my daughter stay over there again thats disgusting

kristagkristag
My daughter, who is 9 now, was being babysat by one of her friends parents whilst her dad went out and she told me they had let the kids watch Interview with the Vampire. I was a bit sceptical so asked her what it was about (kids often get glimpses of things on TV or in adverts) but she told me the story! She said the mum had told them when really scary bits were coming on so they could hide their eyes Tounge Out

As you can imagine, I phoned my ex-husband to see if he knew. He did not and was very angry and confronted them about it. Like lots of people said here, they didn't seem concerned so she does not go over there anymore.

Whilst mine is fine with things like Harry Potter and Hellboy (amazingly), I have friends of hers I know are scared of cartoons so we are always careful when they come round and I check with their parents if I am unsure of a film for them to see.

As for not feeding a child - what the hell is wrong with these people?

I'm not surprised you are mad. I think we all agree with you that you should be.

Good luck sorting it hon.

Hayley_KevHayley_Kev
personally i would not allow my child to stay around someones house unless i knew the parents or had spoken to them first! its how my parents have always done it with me and its the way i will do it.
that way i can get a feel of the sort of people i am allowing to be responsible for my child.
i understand that theyre your kids friends parents and that its nice for our kids to have sleepovers but these parents could be anybody!! having kids doesnt make em 'normal'!

wondermumwondermum
I would only let my children sleep over at someone's house if i knew them well enough. Children will at some point inevitably watch and hear things that we would rather they not. But I think that up to a certain age we still have a large degree of control over what they are exposed to. I think you are justified in how you feel. Maybe next time their friend to come and sleep over at yours and that way you'd know that they had eaten and what they are watching.

x

glowingsunglowingsun
Neglect is definitly one reason to give them a legal warning.
I ahve never seen the Omen myself but it sounds familiarly recent which means it probably had lots of gore and torture in it. Parents need to be alert at how different horror films are now compared to the ones we grew up with. Remember how we used to dress up in bedsheets and scared each other. Well, what are kids going to do to mimc what they see in the scenes of horror or gory movies today? I hope it never happens!

soupsoup
I would be fuming Mad

i would give her a right peice of my mind at how she treated my child.

SeaThreePeeOSeaThreePeeO
I would be fuming also, but sadly as far aqs making the parents see sense I think there is very little you can do. This is obviously normal behaviour for them.

I would do as the others have suggested. No longer allow your little girl over there to visit.

LucyLucy
i would not let my child go there again and i would be writing them a letter complaining that they let my child watch a film that was suitable for adults only.

The omen is an old film, i think there is a newer version, but that said its a horror film.

As for not feeding the child, i think that could be construed as nbeglect. Having said that the child was on a sleepover, unless they were being paid to look after your child i dont think there would be any laws broken

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews