Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Getting 8 year old boys into bed

MrSammieMrSammie
posted 1 decade 9 months ago
Does any one have any idea's on this. Sofar tonight we have had a battle since 9 o'clock. It is now just gone 2am and he is refusing to go to bed. We have lost a stairgate and a vase in this battle and have other children to think about. Nothing me or my partner have tried is working. Does any one have any tips?

candgsmumcandgsmum
Well, tbh my 18 month old doesn't like bed either. We have had to remove the door handle from the inside his bedroom because he opens it and runs out laughing Rolling Eyes His new trick is to bang his head on the floor...all for attention! Me being me, I'm terrified that he will do some serious damage to himself and go up and move him back into bed. I've stopped talking to him now when I go put him back into bed. I don't say night night or tell him off, just pick him up and put him in bed and shut the door, it helps a little, as in he only tries it a couple of times again before deciding I'm not going to give in and take him back downstairs or in our bed. Sometimes he is in a mood to get what he wants but we try to stick to just putting him back into to bed. Its not too bad for me as George can't talk yet, but I could imagine an 8yr old being able to give a bit of verbal and be a lot harder to put back into to bed Frustrated

Good luck, I know it wasn't exactly fantastic advice, sorry

candgsmumcandgsmum
Yikes hun, is he always like that, or is it because he knows stuff is going on with his dad? Sad

candgsmumcandgsmum
No hun, it doesn't sound wrong to want them to have a dad. You already have a lot on your plate with two young ones yourself, and then trying to keep the boys together, I don't know how you manage it. Maybe he knows deep down that you do love him, but thought he would make sure, if you see what I mean? Him screaming and shouting as well maybe some sort of release for him? Hugs hun Hug Hug x

StewStew
posted 1 decade 8 months ago
Hi,

Ive two of the blighters (8 and 10) and I think that it makes it easier to get them to bed. They both go to bed at 8pm and share a room (but are just about to be split up) but can read in bed till 8.30. Cos they go to bed together they seem to live with it ok. On Fridays and saturdays or if a footy match is on then we let them stay up later.

However, if they are naughty then they go to bed earlier - usually at 7.30, which they hate and other fun things are removed for a day or two like time on the Wii or TV time.

It seems to work and I can reason with them both - now my two girls, well thats another story>>>>!!!!!

mumof2boysmumof2boys
posted 1 decade 7 months ago
we made the mistake of going to bed with our boys when they were young, now they are nearly 8 and 5 and we're still doing it! it ruins the night,by the time they go to sleep it's nearly time to go ourselves. sorry we ever started it.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews