Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Am i cheeky to ask...

WolfblassWolfblass
posted 1 decade 9 months ago
or even mention in my Personal Development Review on Monday for a pay rise? I've never had to ask/mention wages before but i feel for the job i do they are extremely low. Especially now i am a Duty Manager aswell.

I am an assistant Front Desk Manager (there are two of us below our manager and he stepped down to be in the same position as me 3 weeks after i started) He is still recieving the same salary he was as Manager which is 2.5k more than i. He also does Duty Manager shifts - however has been to HR and asked to drop back to just a receptionist and drop his DM shifts. He was told they wouldn't allow him to do so, becuase they couldn't drop his wages lower than a member of the reception team.

This member of our team is a 37 year old phillipino who works over here and sends half her wages back home. When this hotel was a family run hotel she was offered the position i now do, and offered a live in position in the then staff house. When the group took over last year, they were given extra money to cover travel too and from work and that little bit extra for the inconvenience of no longer living in house! However she failed in the positon and is just a receptionist now - yet earns 2k more than me even as a Duty Manager.

I do think it's unfair especially as my male colleague no longer wants to be here! He is totally disinterested, moans all the time, sulks, has no interest in helping to develop the team or department. Doesn't set a good example to the rest of the team and messes about with them. The receptionist i mentioned isn't particularly great at her job, and has had several formal complaints that she is rude to guests etc etc. And makes many many mistakes (hey we all do but not to that extent)

I have been here since Feb last year and achieved many things, i am not big headed, but proud to be in the position i have at the moment and have the respect i have earnt from Directors, Head office and our own General and Operations Manager - but the pay is always niggling in the back of my mind.

Is it okay to ask for a look at my wages? And how would i bring that into the conversation without sounding greedy, and like i am just here for the money?

RobRob Admin
- My blog
A lot of businesses want to get away with paying as little wages as possible - it's human nature! If they think you're happy with your current wage they'd likely not see any need to review it. So ask! It's hard, but my mum always told me 'If you don't ask, you don't get!' Wink

http://www.uknetguide.co.uk/Employment/Article/...Rise__and_Get_One!.html

(You'll have to copy and paste that url as it won't link properly Frustrated )

WolfblassWolfblass
So very true Rob! Thanks for the link - i'll check that out later!

candgsmumcandgsmum
Nope, I did and got one. I got 11% on my last annual wage rise Thumbs Up although i'm not exactly expecting them to do the same again this yr LOL.

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
Go for it Becs! You definately deserve it from how it sounds so I say ask and I bet you shall receive! Wink

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews