Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Coming off benefits

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
posted 1 decade 5 months ago
I work 15 hours and I get to keep 75.50 of my wages each week and I get 17.50 from JSA a week. Got the letter today. As I get hardly anything from JSA I was thinking of coming off benefits and work 5 extra hours or so.

I know I'd have to pay some rent and council tax what I am find with because I'll get working tax credits.

Do you know what else I will be entitled to and do you think it is worth it as my BF is going to be in college for the next 2 years.

Thanks Kelly x

AlexAlex Moderator
you will get your working and child tax credits and help with childcare if you need it (up to 70%) you should also get help with rent and council tax. Will your BF be applying for bursaries and grants? If so I would say go for it. it is great knowing that all your money is your own and you have worked hard to get it.

Ask at the job centre if you can get any other help.

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
He gets £30 EMA a week.

I hate benefits, wanted to leave it awhile so I could spend time with Cait but I am sure she will appreciate me working when she is older. Will be great to have my own money and know that I am providing for my daughter not tax payers Very Happy

mumof2mumof2
i came off benefits in feb work 16 hours per week and receive working tax credits,child tax credits,get 8o% of my childcare paid and pay only something like £20 towards my rent and£12 towards council tax (if that) best thing i ever did.im by no means rich LOL but im definatly better off and feel alot better knowing ive worked for my money and can afford little extras

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
Is that a week or month for the rent and tax? And that is very good Thumbs Up

Gonna try and raise my hours again next year when Cait starts nursery Very Happy

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
O and someone from work said if you work more than 30 hours you get more working tax credit, is that right?

Hayley_KevHayley_Kev
im confused now... i packed in work to raise ethan... i only claim WT & CT... am i entitled to job seekers then?? as i got the impression u could only claim that for 6months and then u had to find employment - iv never signed on or nohting... am i missing out on anything??

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
Does your partner work?

I can claim job seekers cause I am doing 15 hours and you gotta be doing 16 to come off & I am the main worker as my BF is studying.

Hayley_KevHayley_Kev
he works yes - full time.

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
I don't think you can get it, cause to get JSA you've got to be looking for a job.

You can ask the job centre

miarubymiaruby
- My blog

Hayley_Kev said:
im confused now... i packed in work to raise ethan... i only claim WT & CT... am i entitled to job seekers then?? as i got the impression u could only claim that for 6months and then u had to find employment - iv never signed on or nohting... am i missing out on anything??

No hunnie your not entitled to it as your partner works and because you claim WT, I am in the same situation so I rung and asked about it and they said if dave worked less that 16 hours we could claim job seekers but would have to stop claiming WT, hope that helps xx

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
Good luck to ya Kelly, I think it's great that you're going to give it a go with out the assistance, but remember it's there if you need it and there's nothing wrong with accepting the benefits, especially being a single mother on your own, it ain't easy as you know but I'm wishing you the best Smile

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
Thanks Tammy

orc30orc30
Hi

You can claim working family tax credit as long as you are working more than 16 hours a week. At that point, depending on your income you will probably be receiving the maximum that they will pay, and also the maximum child tax credit. Basically as your income goes up the amount they pay you goes down. But it is not a 1 for 1 ratio. So maybe if you earn an extra £100/month your tax credits will go down by £30. I don't know the exact numbers but me and the wife were still able to claim until I was earning well over £40,000 a year.

If you're earning that on 16 hours a week then let us all know because we have the wrong jobs! LOL

victoria1976victoria1976
posted 7 years 2 weeks ago
Wave hi,reading these comments and question i see they were wrote 3 years or more ago....are things still the same now?? iv just started work 16 hrs and have a partner that doesent get any money at all cuz im working,i just get wtc,ctc is there anything eles i can claim,the job centre wont even talk to my partner for god sake cuz he isent with them anymore....iv had to send all my wage slips to birmingham city council to see if i have to pay any rent or council tax...its so unfair and theres no one to talk to about any of it i allso have a 16year old daurghter who will be leaving school this year and dont no what will happen if she dosent stay in full time education.
Sad ,be really gratfull if anyone has any info

cheers,vicky Unsure

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews