Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Tips aand advice wanted!

trullitrulli
posted 1 decade 1 year ago
Hi,

I belong to a local(Oldham)group that is trying to build a soft play centre in our area. We want it to have a multi sensory room. So any advice or tips about what we should include in the building or what parents would benefit from , I'd be grateful for.

Thanks!

AlexAlex Moderator
I worked in a school where they had a snoozelan room-
I think must haves are:-heated water bed, fibre optic strands, bubble tubes, a tactile wall(with lots of different textures and things to do), we had a sound wall aswell- that was popular. There is so much

SassySassy
- My blog
My oldest son has special needs, here are some of the items in that kind of room that have attracted his attention and had a positive effect on his growth and development.

To Touch - Tables with activities such as rice (to be played with like sand) or water and bubbles.

To feel and look at - Alternate the surface of the floor. Attach posters to the ceiling. Use light projectors to create shapes and colors with light.

To smell and look upon - A window filled with plants growing in dirt, sand, water, air; can attract the attention of a child for hours.

Oh and do not forget comfortable chairs or benches for parents and care givers to sit on! Wink

trullitrulli
Thanks. Keep 'em coming I'm noting then all!

SassySassy
- My blog
Updates please!

How is your project going trulli ?

sliceslice
posted 1 decade 10 months ago
Hi there, I work in Adult learning disabilities but have a sensory room where i work and also have had loads of access to the snoozelen in worcester.I would definatly go for the heated water bed,the benefits on the muscels while relaxing is so good. also a bubble tube,we have a multy switch box on ours so that they can change it to the colour of their choice.We also have a cascading fiber optic waterfall light, they love this as you can have it falling down around them.Plenty of textured items to stimulate the senses.But one word of warning,If you are lucky to support someone while in there then sleep in almost certainly induced so take in some matchsticks for your eyes and maybe some water to drink to keep yourself alert, I have been caught snoozing a couple of times.LOL ooops!

trullitrulli
posted 9 years 6 months ago
Omg! Apologies! So rude of me not to reply. Still trying to achieve the goal of a permanent play space. I'm currently running sensory play sessions this summer.

Sarah

BBearBBear
posted 8 years 7 months ago
i hope all is going well

trullitrulli
Yep still plodding on! You can learn more on our website in my signature. Our newsletter is due to be sent out today so if anyone wants to receive a copy make sure you sign up on our website!

Sarah

trullitrulli
We are running summer play sessions again this year in Oldham. They start 27th July.

milkymummilkymum
posted 8 years 6 months ago
You could contact the Jeramy Kyle show. The show I watched the other day he refurbed a play-centre for children and at the end of the hsow he asked for people to contact the show about anything in there community they would like help with building or doing up.

But as for a multi sensory room you could buy soem colour-changing LED robe lights, put movement sencor pads in the floor that make a noise when a child lands on them, heating under the floor so there are no radiators or heating in the room. My ES nursery school have this and the floor is lovely to walk on in bare feet and the building is never cold either which was somehting I was concerned about when I was told they had under-floor heating. Will post more idea's for you. I have a list somewhere of sensory functions you can put in a sensory room as I have started a business plan for a day nursery that has a special needs unit seperate so that parents can feel confident about leaving there children that has things like downs, CP and things like as Ihave done research and there are not that many nurseries that have provisions fo rchildren with these medical issue's and decided it would e nice to have somewhere in the future for parents that be able to come and either leave or stay with there children and offer a support network

trullitrulli
posted 8 years 6 months ago
Thanks for that! Very Happy

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews