Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

weaning

babybellebabybelle
posted 1 decade 1 year ago
i have a five month old and thinking about weaning, anyone have any reccomendations for vegetable purees? ive heard beetroot can have a calming effect on your baby, if this is true ill definately try some! Thumbs Up

crazy_girlcrazy_girl
hi.i started weening jessica early cause she was greedy..she loves the carrot and sweet potato puree..theres so much to choose from

xxx

candgsmumcandgsmum
I've never heard about beetroot tbh. It is something I never tried with my LO's as I don't like beetroot myself and heard it makes their poo pink LOL!

To begin with I just used carrot, potato, peas etc, basic veg and then moved onto other things.

An unusual thing my son liked was avacado and banana blended together.

To begin with though I would suggest trying your LO with a small amount of baby rice to make sure they are ready.

Good luck hun x

Hayley_KevHayley_Kev
i weaned ethan at around 4 months as he was way too greedy - and still is!!
basically,whats already been said - start of with a single puree, of each fruit and veg... when you know your babys tastes and have got her used to them, you can then start mixing the veg with eachother... babies dont tend to like bananas tho - and they dont tend to like babys bowels either! so id steer clear of bananas until shes a little older (although ethan till doesnt like them now!) you could always add fruit to a yogurt,or baby rice to add a little flavour to them - or as a nice pudding for her.x

barrybarry
Eh...when we weaned Cara we started with the baby rice .....but we soon found that blending any mixture of veg ...or fruit was good too ..... As Hayley said there is some things that your LO wont like but always try things twice ....as maybe they just dont feel like it ....a blender fruit veg and anything you can think of would be my advice ....but hey i,m a guy LOL Wink

there is Also a book i think its by annabel karmel that has some good tips ......but to be honest i think you will get more advice and recipes from sites like this and most of all trial and error Smile

Good luck Smile

GTTkelGTTkel
After the whole baby rice/porridge thing the first things I did for my two were stewed apple,mashed up carrots and mashed up banana.

Hayley_KevHayley_Kev

barry said:
Eh...when we weaned Cara we started with the baby rice .....but we soon found that blending any mixture of veg ...or fruit was good too ..... As Hayley said there is some things that your LO wont like but always try things twice ....as maybe they just dont feel like it ....a blender fruit veg and anything you can think of would be my advice ....but hey i,m a guy LOL Wink

there is Also a book i think its by annabel karmel that has some good tips ......but to be honest i think you will get more advice and recipes from sites like this and most of all trial and error Smile

Good luck Smile

i have the annabel karmel book!! i must admit tho,iv looked thru it no end of times but iv never done anything out of it as iv always stuck to my own recipes - or ethan has whatever we have! what ethan does love - and i do too for the convienience of it is annabel karmels pasta range! ethan loves his pasta and its just so easy to bung the pasta in a pan and add tuna or a sauce mixture!

glennyglenny
cant really add anything tbh - as everyone has said carrot. potato, really any root vegetable is a good one to start with and they combine well too Very Happy

cara loved potato and sweetcorn mash when we first started, and carrot and potato mash

we really didnt use the baby rice for long as its pretty tasteless and theres so much you can do on your own - good luck x

dustymillardustymillar
Hi there Wave

I'm new to the site and have a 10 month baby called Mia-Grace. I have been weaning her a few months now, and mainly using vegetables, sometimes mixed with cheese to make it creamy.

However, I can't seem to get her to eat fish, meat or chicken, but when I buy a jarred version she loves it. How do I make mine more 'baby friendly'??? Mine is definately more chewy than the jars, as they seem smooth, but with pieces of vegetables.

Help!!! Embarassed

dustymillardustymillar
Dear babybelle,

Funny you should mention beetroot. My husband absolutely loves it, so I have given it to Mia-Grace, although to be honest it's not really my cup of tea.

BUT.... my husband is always a calm sort of chap, and Mia-Grace does seem pretty chilled out after eating root veggies.

I'm going to try her on some beetroot, parsnip and mashed sweet potato tonight and will report back tommorrow.

Very Happy

Hayley_KevHayley_Kev

dustymillar said:
Hi there Wave

I'm new to the site and have a 10 month baby called Mia-Grace. I have been weaning her a few months now, and mainly using vegetables, sometimes mixed with cheese to make it creamy.

However, I can't seem to get her to eat fish, meat or chicken, but when I buy a jarred version she loves it. How do I make mine more 'baby friendly'??? Mine is definately more chewy than the jars, as they seem smooth, but with pieces of vegetables.

Help!!! Embarassed

the only thing i can suggest here hun is that it seems like she isnt really likeing the lumpy stuff yet! make the food into a sauce like state and over the days,lessen it slowly getting her used to the lumps - if shes got a good appetite thats a great sign that she aint fussy - its a big step for a little one and lumpy food as it takes them a while to master chewing.

SassismumSassismum

dustymillar said:
Hi there Wave

Help!!! Embarassed

I had the same problem - if you blitz the meat with a hand blender so it becomes more of a paste and add a little baby milk or water to it to to thin it out - that may help. Smile

SassismumSassismum
Hi Babybelle,
I love beetroot and have just introduced it to my 7 month old (boiled and mashed up with sweet potato) and she loved it. It could well be calming as she seems to sleep well after that feed. With your LO, I think first off steps for weaning, I would go for babyrice, stewed apple, pureed carrot (or any root veg) and introduce these one at a time and once your LO starts getting used to the whole new foods experience then introduce them to the beet, it's pink, its a root veggie - what's not to love? x x LOL Very Happy

PipPip
Hi babybelle, my little lad is 5 and a half months old and I started weaning him a few weeks ago. We started on babyrice and pureed veg that we cooked off and put in ice cube trays in the freezer. I bought a few pots from the supermarket and one of them is organic beetroot, apple and artichoke by Plum baby which has gone down well and he started on that at 5 months. We were pretty nervous about feeding him at first and how it would go but it was a giggle the first few times. As a mum, you'll soon get a feel for LO's likes and dislikes..hope it goes well Thumbs Up

J-JJ-J

Hi babybelle, My littles ones are not so little now - 4yrs / 8yrs and 11yrs but I just had to reply to you because my grandmother always used to say that the root of all happiness starts with root vegetables! Maybe an old wives tale but I remembered it when I was weaning my three - all 3 three of them had plenty of sweet pots, beetroot and parsnips and maybe I was lucky but all three were calm and happy (most of the time) ;-)

Good luck
x

sassijsassij
Hi Babybelle

It is funny to read about beetroot on here - i swear by it! and think it is 'baby foods best kept secret!' dont let it put you off that it is a fiddly veg - my little jd (not little anymore!) was greedy and restless, i am sure beetroot calmed him and certainly filled him up. (nappies were more colourful afterwards!)

Very Happy

Good luck!

miarubymiaruby
- My blog
very strange Suspect

dustymillardustymillar
Hi there Babybelle Thumbs Up

Sorry that I haven't been back on-line, but trying to cope with teething at the moment Clapping

Just to let you know that I tried the beetroot, parsnip and mashed sweet potato the other night and my little one went mad for it. This is a good thing as she is going through the stage of not liking savoury, but preferring sweet and I'm trying to get her out of the habit.

Keep up the good work, and if you think of any other wonderful recipes let me know.
Very Happy

candgsmumcandgsmum

miaruby said:
very strange Suspect

LOL I must admit I thought the same. Suspect

miarubymiaruby
- My blog

candgsmum said:

miaruby said:
very strange Suspect