Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

Enough To Make Jamie Oliver Cry

SassySassy
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
- My blog
I just came from eating lunch at my daughters school today. The meal was not very editable. Gag Canned veggies, mystery meat on a bun with mayo on the side, fruit swimming in a sugary sauce, only a 1/2 pint of milk, and old french fries! Shocked
The cafeteria staff was rude Tounge Out the lunch monitors walked around and the feeling of the meal was negative. Tounge Out
If Jamie Oliver would have been there he would have thrown a fit. I nearly threw a fit myself. How can schools who claim to have the kids needs at the forefront of their goals serve such sludge? Suspect

EmilyEmily

Sassy said:
I just came from eating lunch at my daughters school today. The meal was not very editable. Gag Canned veggies, mystery meat on a bun with mayo on the side, fruit swimming in a sugary sauce, only a 1/2 pint of milk, and old french fries! Shocked
The cafeteria staff was rude Tounge Out the lunch monitors walked around and the feeling of the meal was negative. Tounge Out
If Jamie Oliver would have been there he would have thrown a fit. I nearly threw a fit myself. How can schools who claim to have the kids needs at the forefront of their goals serve such sludge? Suspect

That sounds disgusting!! In the UK (well, certainly the area I live), the meals have been improved since the jamie oliver campaign - they're healthy, loads of vegetables, meat. No "mystery" meat, or pizzas etc - sounds like the school should take a leaf out of jamie's book!!

P.S. Is he famous in the US then??

HayleyHayley
god thats bad i wud have complained i think , u need jamie oliver to do whats he done here n sort the dinners out!

SassySassy
- My blog

Emily said:
P.S. Is he famous in the US then??

Yes very famous.
His shows are on the American Public Broadcasting TV channles, as well as being on the Food Network and advice clips on the radio too.

My daughter and I could have had a healthier meal if we had gone out to eat fast food.

mumof2mumof2
god thats not a meal fit for a dog! growing kids should be eating healthy neutrisious food they really ought to buck up there ideas

mumof2_jomumof2_jo
Gag Yuk that's sounds gross Sad Face
are you going to complain to school Sassy?

SassySassy
- My blog

mumof2_jo said:

I am going to speak at the next school board meeting in person.
I was going to write a letter, but I feel the content would be best delivered out loud in person. I might even collect some photographs of the meals to be clear that the food just is not meeting the needs of the children eating it. Tounge Out

BeckyBecky
You definitely should! Have they shown the series "Jamie's School Dinners" in America yet? There's a great episode which shows the difference in behaviour in children after having a healthy lunch, and after an unhealthy lunch. After the unhealthy lunch, the children were restless, unruly, and generally hyperactive & aggitated. After the healthy lunch, they seemed really calm, good-natured and willing to work, probably because they weren't pumped full of chemicals and god knows what.

The old argument of "It's what they want to eat" just doesn't work - they only "want" to eat things because they've been constantly presented to them. If healthier stuff was integrated gradually they would soon want to eat that too. You should mention at this meeting some of the responses you've had from some English Mums and tell them to get with the times! Very happy

SassySassy
- My blog
That program has been shown here. There is also a tv program with Jamie Oliver and Rachel Ray reviewing schools in 12 American cities and the food served.

mumof2_jomumof2_jo

Sassy said:

mumof2_jo said:

I am going to speak at the next school board meeting in person.
I was going to write a letter, but I feel the content would be best delivered out loud in person. I might even collect some photographs of the meals to be clear that the food just is not meeting the needs of the children eating it. Tounge Out

I think the photographs sound like a good idea Sassy Smile are you allowed to go in whenever you like when kids are having dinner?

SassySassy
- My blog

mumof2_jo said:
I think the photographs sound like a good idea Sassy Smile are you allowed to go in whenever you like when kids are having dinner?

We have to sign in at the office, and I will have to buy a milk or a juice each time to have a reason to be there, but I can collect my proof with out breaking their rules.

Any other ideas? I am open to suggestions too.

mumof2_jomumof2_jo
What about making a petition up and getting as many parents as you can and kids, that way they can see its not just you that many others feel the same.

mitchmitch
ask around the other parents and see if they feel they are too are discusting maybe set up a group to campaigne about making there meals better?

i would be bringing my child home for school dinner so they were not subdued to the horrible stuff they dish up i no this is not always an option in some circumstances.
good luck with what you choose to do

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews