Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Vitamin K for newborns

AmzieAmzie
posted 1 decade 3 months ago
Very Happy Hi
I am due in 2weeks and the midwife has just mentioned the Vitamin K injection that they offer all newborns

I was wondering if anybody had given their newborn this injection or heard of any one giving the injection to their lil baby?

I some times think that it's all a big hype in my local hospital as none of my family ever had the injection or even heard of it until now!

Is it a hype or is it a issue I need to consider for my lil one?

Amzie

AlexAlex Moderator
im sure Joseph got it after I had him (I was out of it and cant remember 100%) but I know he got something and it wasnt the rhesus -ve jab because there was a big whohaa 3 days later about whether he should get it

AmzieAmzie
Very Happy maybe I should stop stressing cause its just a vitamin - was just confused as my family and friends had never heard of it back home (south wales)

We all just want the best for our lil bundles of fun!

Amzie x

angelsmomangelsmom
casey had first dose as i planned to breastfeed, cant remember if it was an injection tho. she didnt get anymore as she didnt take to breast and was to be bottle fed.

i dont think a bit of vitamins will hurt its just the thaught of ikle baba havin injections thats scary.

casey27casey27
kyra was given the injection. vitamin k is vital for blood clotting and the injection just ensures that if the baby does have a slight problem with their blood reduces the chances of them suffering from internal bleeding. there r 2 options you can have it given via injection or you can ask for it to be administered orally. although they have to have 2 doses if you choose the oral route. its a good thing though hon. it doesnt harm them and it prevents a potentially serious condition. x

candgsmumcandgsmum
Both my LO's had it and was administered by injection, Charlotte actually slept through hers LOL!

As Caesy27 said, it is given shortly after birth to help blood to clot.

hayley81hayley81
My son also had the injection after he was born it is for their own good Smile

miarubymiaruby
- My blog
Mia had this when she was born hun, by injection and I think it is worth having it done! x

sugarsugar Moderator
both of mine had it Smile

GTTkelGTTkel
My two both had it too

ellee1984ellee1984
My little girl had it, I wasnt sure when I just had her cos I was tired etc they gave me a leaflet about it and told me to think it over I found that very helpful they didnt pressure me into it and let her have it when me and her dad decided that we wanted her to have it.

Krystal1310Krystal1310
The midwife gave it to becky after she was born.

BigMommaBigMomma
posted 1 decade 2 months ago
My DD had it, and I used to give it (neonatal nurse!) it is your choice, but it is important to aid with clotting. Most babies sleep through it!!!!

gemmagemma
my two both had the injection too Thumbs Up

i;d rather be safe than sorry

rustierustie
i've never heard any reasons not to have it so had my LO done and getting this one done hopefully next week!

tinyskytinysky
All 4 of mine had it via injection, baby number 5 on its way and he/she will have it too Very Happy

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews