Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

Worried about my two year old son's talking

Amy87Amy87
posted 1 decade 2 years ago
I'm new to this so nervous!
I have a lovely son Jake who's 2years and 2months old.
I'm worried about his talking as he only says around ten different words, he doesn't put them togeather to form any sort of sentances. He try's to say things buy get's very annoyed when only sounds come out.
Just wondered if anyone could give me any advice about what to do as I'm not sure myself! Thanks
Amy x

AlexAlex Moderator
I used to panic about my Sons talking especially when he did everything else so quickly but my HV kept saying he will do it when he is ready.

once he went to playschool and nursery (even though he was at the childminders all day) his speaking came on in leaps and bounds and he started string whole sentences together and not just 2 or 3 words like his peers. and now at almost 4 I cant shut him up

RichRich Moderator
The other thing to do to bring on speach is to sit and talk with your little one ( I am sure you do now anyway ), but that brings them on alot too, don't worry though, all children learn at different paces Smile

keep us posted Very happy

hapydazyhapydazy
Hi Amy87, My best friend's son didn't not "talk" until he was 3 years old... He had his own little jibberish language but no one could understand him and then a little before he turned 3 he started talking in full sentences right off the bat. Now he is 7 years old, very mature for his age and talks very well Very happy . I would try not to worry, I bet you won't be able to get him to stop talking before ya know it! Crazy

GTTkelGTTkel
I'm really glad you bought this up as I've been worried about my boy too. He's 16 months and hardly says any actual words atall. I suppose I'm wrong in that I compare him to his sister who was very quick to learn to talk. The thing is he understands what I say to him and reacts accordingly if I ask him to find his car or go and get his shoes etc. I just wonder if he's being lazy or if he's just not ready yet Suspect But everyone else has given encouraging comments about children doing things in their own time so I'm sure our little men will be fine

candgsmumcandgsmum
I do think boys are later at talking than girls are, Charlotte has an excellent vocabulary for her age and started to say mamma and dadda at about 6 months whereas George still only says mumum or dada at 14 months. I'm not worried though as I he understands things we say to him and he knows how to say things in his own little way although it sounds like jibberish LOL!

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
i had the same problem with ben. but he was also behind in other things too. didnt walk till he was 22 months old. he has speech therapy and portage and hes coming along in leaps and bounds

im sure he'll come along in his own time hun

miarubymiaruby
- My blog
I have found that Mia's talking has come along alot in the last few days! since we got the new kitty! she sits and talks to her now hehe! she could talk before but i think she was just a little lazy with it sometimes! but now she dont shut up haha! Am sure your little boy will be fine hunnie! xx

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
Caits 2 and 8 months ish, her talking has only picked up in the last few months, she trys to say sentences but rarely she gets one. Children are different and some learn faster than others, I wouldn't worry but talk to your health visitor.

JOJOJOJO
have you tried this book baby talk by sally ward you can get it on amazon I have this and its great really recommend it

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews