Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Having trouble getting my son to use his potty

AlexsmumAlexsmum
posted 1 decade 3 months ago
My son is 2 1/2 years old, he will be 3 in January & l am having trouble potty training him, he use to use the toilet but won't go nearer it now, at the moment he is lying on the floor asking for his nappy on l have put his potty next to him so if he needs to go then the potty is close by. Frustrated

catgirl_872catgirl_872
sorry cant help but im not lookin forward to that LOL xx

JOJOJOJO
hey hun have you tried stickers or some sort of reward chart,I have the other problem my son is 3 in nov and will use potty but not the toilet,he still likes to do a number 2 in a nappy thou,have you got a toliet seat for him so he wont fall down,but my only advice is if its upsetting him dont push it and leave it a little longer,boys do tend to be slower than girls,

hayley81hayley81
Have u tried a themed potty like the one u can get from argos that plays a tune when it gets wet, i think these are great.
I was lucky i had no trouble doing this with kyle he just did it himself more or less so dont know what else to suggest, good luck hope u get him dry soon and it is well know boys take a bit longer.
Failing that i also heard (dont think im crule now) but put him in pants and if he wets them leave him in it for about 5 mins and he will learn that it isnt nice to sit in wet pants. i didnt do that but it was something i was told not sure it will work but it all trial and error when it comes to getting ya LO,s dry. good luck hun

emma1978emma1978
I used stickers with iestyn, it worked great.

what ever you dont go back to nappies especially since youve started potty training.

Hope it goes well for you hun

AlexsmumAlexsmum
He has got a toilet seat he does sit on it but won't do anythink in the toilet, I will try the reward chart l know you can prin them from the Supernanny website so l might print a few from there, does anyone know if mothercare sell them, l might try him in boxer shorts as his dad wears them so do you think that would help.

JOJOJOJO
I just bought some cheap stickers from wilkinsons,or a stamp that he can get on his hand would be good

jo-jojo-jo
I also used little rewards and found that it worked the best for my DS.Before we started training i went to the shops and brought a few books paint sets and dvds everytime we had a good few days i would give him a little reward.Good luck xxxx

busimumof4busimumof4
Our son refused to use the potty so we now use the toilet. Boys are lazy though and we have had a couple of accidents but I guess its all just par of the course.

angelsmomangelsmom
i dont have a boy but have heard of putting ping pong balls in the toilet and making a game out of weeing in toilet. think i saw coloured ones specially for it in wilkinsons or somewhere.

busimumof4busimumof4
They are called wee balls LOL. we have some, and they are great, only my boys are now so excited by peeing on the ball that they have had some major mises - even the potty trained ones who should know better!!

Men eh LOL

AlexAlex Moderator

busimumof4 said:
They are called wee balls LOL. we have some, and they are great, only my boys are now so excited by peeing on the ball that they have had some major mises - even the potty trained ones who should know better!!

Men eh LOL

they are good for teaching them to stand up

But Joseph only does it sometimes moajority of the time he sits.

I would try stickers hun, you dont have to print off charts make your own ( a table in word)

RichRich Moderator
Reward charts are superb things to help progress a childs toilet training skills. And sorry but girls are lazy too, friend of ours little girl comes round here to play with David, she's older than him ( she was 4 a couple of weeks before David ) and she wee's in her pants and on our carpet ( just the once on the carpet thankfully ), but thats not down to not knowing how to use the toilet, it was pure lazyness on her part, so give the little lads a break, little girls are not pure of light either Razz

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator

Rich said:
Reward charts are superb things to help progress a childs toilet training skills. And sorry but girls are lazy too, friend of ours little girl comes round here to play with David, she's older than him ( she was 4 a couple of weeks before David ) and she wee's in her pants and on our carpet ( just the once on the carpet thankfully ), but thats not down to not knowing how to use the toilet, it was pure lazyness on her part, so give the little lads a break, little girls are not pure of light either Razz

I agree Rich, I have one and boy do I know that... but they can be at times Love

Aaralyn will occasionally have an accident at night now but she's sound asleep when it happens and the wetness doesn't even wake her up! I just put her in underpants when she was 2ish and decided not to put another diaper on her and after 1 weekend of lotsa wet panties she was 90 percent potty trained... the key with her was I didn't push it, I waited until I felt she was ready and it worked Thumbs Up

I just wanted to add that she did where pull ups at night for a while after she was completely potty trained during the day.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews