Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

My son has a squint ...UPDATE

AlexsmumAlexsmum
posted 1 decade 1 year ago
Last edited by Alexsmum 1 decade 1 year ago
My son Alex is 2 & has a squint he hospital told me he needed glasses l got the glasses & he just won't wear them, l have heard about eye drops that you put in the good eye so he has to rely on his bad eye. HAs anyone been through the same.

Hayley_KevHayley_Kev
my sis had a skwint (sp!) and they had her wearing an eye patch on her good eye to correct her bad skwinting eye,it worked as like ur LO,she wouldnt wear glasses either! have they tried this?

mamamama
My son is 6 and has had glasses from the age of 4. I think glasses from 2 is far too young. They wouldn't give my sons till school age. My son has a squint.

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
I am assuming a squint is what us American's call lazy eye?? if so my best friend's son had it and had the surgery and now it's starting to do it again. Good luck with your son hun!

Hayley_KevHayley_Kev

hapydazy said:
I am assuming a squint is what us American's call lazy eye?? if so my best friend's son had it and had the surgery and now it's starting to do it again. Good luck with your son hun!

we refer to it as lazy eye too,but 'squint' is the medical term,personally if somebody says squint,to me thats screwin up ur eyes,not one going off centre!

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator

Hayley_Kev said:

hapydazy said:

we refer to it as lazy eye too,but 'squint' is the medical term,personally if somebody says squint,to me thats screwin up ur eyes,not one going off centre!

Well now I know the medical term for it, never heard that called squint before... I've always thought of a squint the same way you described it Hayley.

Alexsmum, what about a patch over the better eye??... maybe you could make a game of it and he can pretend he's a pirate... my friend did that with her soon but unfortunately he got a little fed up with the eye patch.

hayley81hayley81

Alexsmum said:
My son Alex is 2 & has a squint he hospital told me he needed glasses l got the glasses & he just won't wear them, l have heard about eye drops that you put in the good eye so he has to rely on his bad eye. HAs anyone been through the same.

i have had a squint all my life hun and tbh i dont even get bothered by it, i have hardly no site in my right eye due to this. when i was a child i had eye patches glasses, hospital appts all time, promises of an operation that would correct the squint, eventually as a teenager i went to the hospital hoping for a date for the op and was told so sorry we have left it too late if we operate now u will be left with double vision,so i neva got the op and i now dont even wear glasses as theres no point it dosent help the eye anymore, but i dont even notice anymore.
Was very hard @ school when people used to say u looking @ me or the wall and horrible comments like that but water off a ducks back hun.

bunnigirlbunnigirl
my bro and siter has squint and used to have to wear patches and then my brother had surgery to try and correct is
thought my son had a squint but it seems he has asigmatism the retina at the back or iris LOL is the wrong shape and he might need glasses when he is older
as your doctor about how to get him to keep them on
good luck babe
xxx

orc30orc30
Hi

My little boy 3yo has nystagmus, which is when the eyes wobble from side to side. He was prescribed glasses summer time last year and it was not until Easter this year that we finally got him to wear them all the time. One day it just clicked.
Keep trying for short periods at a time, but once he starts to wear them don't make too much of a fuss about it otherwise he might just feel self concious and want them off.
Maybe while it sunny (ha ha) try getting him to put on his glasses when you put on sun glasses. I am supposed to wear glasses when I work and never remember, but I made a strong effort to wear them around him and this seemed to help.

Good luck.

AlexsmumAlexsmum
Thanks for you replys l have got an hospital appointment Thursday so l will speak to them & see what l can get for him, will let you know when l get back.

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
good luck with the hospital app hun.

my eldest jami has a squint and wears glasses all the time

thinking of you Kiss

AlexsmumAlexsmum
I took Alex to the hospital on Thursday & he told me that l have to make him wear the glasses, but l am not making him wear them as he is a 2 1/2 year old & all he will do is throw them on the floor, l have even do a reward chart that when he wears them he gets a present, but he still won't wear them.
Has anyone got any ideas that l can do to get him to wear them.

bunnigirlbunnigirl
does he have a favourtite person on tv or somewhere that wears then u could say he could be him if he wears them too i really dont no babe i am useless LOL
good luck
xxx

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews