Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

Starting school

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 1 decade 2 years ago
I'm abit sad about my little girl starting primary school in september. I can't believe this is it,the start of her own life away from home and the family. The time has gone by so quickly and I really do feel like I'm having to let part of my hold over her go. I know it's for her good but it's really hard. When she started play school last year I was the opposite, I was really happy for her to go and excited. I don't feel like that this time. I'm already planning to get involved with some of the things the school does so I can still be part of what she's doing. How did/do you all feel about your children starting school and pre-school?

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
Caitlin started nursery at 3 months due to me still being on a course at college. I was at college for nearly 3 years. I finished college in June so she has stopped going to nursery now. I don't want her to go back to nursery just yet, want to bond with her more. I'll be glad when she starts school, well thats what I think now.

Is she starting part of full time?? Not sure how it works.

candgsmumcandgsmum
Charlotte got into to nursery earlier than we expected so she had a few months there already but tbh I was gutted in some ways because I had lost my little baby but I've gained this little girl brimming with confidence. She is still in nursery in September but we think she may start full time in easter with her being an earlier intake although the school haven't confirmed this.

I'm actually really excited for her starting full time she has loads of friends already, little miss popular!

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
Cait is confident too, she doesn't mind going to people she hasn't met, and hugs everyone and say hello to everyone Very happy. I shall warn her when she is older not to talk to strangers.

What age do children start school?? Is it 4 or 5??

candgsmumcandgsmum
I think they are 4 when they start reception class. x

GTTkelGTTkel
Children can start school from the september after they turn 4 (which means they go into recepton) or as late as the september after they turn 5(year 1.)You also have the option of january of reception year or summer term of reception year but this is quite frowned upon as they like them to all start together to settle in friendship groups and gain confidence etc. My little girl's year is being split into 2 classes with the oldest half in one and the youngest half in the other. As my little girl is in the younger class she will only go half days for the first term which is ok as she was doing this at playgroup, so maybe it will break me in gently for the full days too Smile

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
O right cool thanks, Caits birthday is in January, so she'll be nearly 5 when she starts?? Need to look about for a school. I might try and get her in the January or summer term, I'll just have to see what the school says. Thanks Very happy

With her going half days, she will also get confident in the new environment. Good luck to her, I'm sure she will be fine and you'll be okay after awhile, its just a big step for a big girl!

goblueteamgoblueteam
Awww hun i can totally relate to that even though its hard having 4 children under 6 im so used to having my 2nd son at home with me we always went for naps together in the afternoon when i was pregnant with jack who is now 5mths and im going to miss him soooooo much Crying However at the same time im really pleased that he will be going and will make some little friends and the fact that i will just have 2 boys at home with me will make things alot easier its just the thought of them growing up so fast isnt it time just goes by so quick.
Have you got all your daughters uniform and things for school yet? will she go part time to start with?

GTTkelGTTkel
I've been buying her uniform and PE kit this week, just need to get shoes now. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the cost of uniform. I shopped around and got some good stuff; her skirts were £3 each from QS,her blouses were 2 for £4 from bhs, PE polo shirt £2 and shorts £3 from Adams and other little bits and pieces. The worst thing was plimsols, in every shop they're about £2 and black but my daughter's school wants white and the only ones I can find were £5 Tounge Out

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
white plimsolls?? ive never seen them

catherine starts primary school in september too. im ok about it as i think it will do her the world of good. my eldest jami is starting secondary school and im more nervous than she is

jade-leighjade-leigh
i have bought pumps every year for my 2 who r 4&6 and they never wear them so dont worry about pumps at all only this year my oldest going into year2 they have stated pumps for definate

goblueteamgoblueteam
oh how annoying they only want white plimsols Grrr
We have also got most bits now and i got most of it from TU at Sainsburys and so the cost wasnt too bad
i have learnt not to spend too much on uniforms because my son comes home from school covered in stains and pen lol

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews