Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

5 year old know all

ArcadiaArcadia
posted 1 decade 2 years ago
My DD is doing my head in at the moment, thinking she knows everything and everything she does is right. Is this normal? Everything I try to say to her she says "I know" and when I try to explain to her that she doesn't know everything, she says, but I do know. Today she fell over and when I asked her if she was alright she said 'joked you mummy, I meant to do that'. She so obviously didn't but couldn't be seen to do 'something wrong'. She getting a bit big for her boots now and it's getting very frustrating. Any advice?

HayleyHayley
I think thats just 5 yr olds for you lol, coz shannon was like that and still is arghhhhhhhh Shocked

hapydazyhapydazy
mine's 4 and a little know it all too LOL, although the other night I told her to go potty before bed and she said "but I don't have to go" and "I said I bet if you sit there some pee pee will come out", so she did, it did, and she said "mommy, you are always right", and I said, "don't forget it kid!" Very happy

I think it's just the age, and I think that it will be the case until she's an adult when you realize you don't know everything LOL Good luck hun Kiss

LadybugLadybug
Ach, there wil be some point soon when she realises she has to ask a question LOL. Hey, you could go down that route - take her somewhere completely new and encourage her to ask questions! Tell her it shows us how intelligent and grown up someone is when they ask questions. Well, it's true, innit?!

Deep down, she knows she doesn't know it all. I guess it must get a little tiring, always being the one in the dark, LOL. I suppose you could even take her to somewhere she really really knows, and let her enjoy the feeling of actually being more informed ... maybe then she'll see the difference? Maaan, do kids even reflect on stuff like this???

I've not reached this stage yet... so let us know how it goes, and perhaps i'll be all prepared for it Very happyVery happyVery happy

xxxx

glittergirlglittergirl
oh i know exactly what you mean!

My Megs is 5 and she's at the stage where she's been in this world long enough to know everything and mummy knows nothing Wink

She has a habit of asking me things, i explain to her what she wants to know then she turns round and tells me i'm wrong Wink Teeth Oh and she's brilliant at everything and mummy cant do squat..

she's getting so much like her father.... Wink PMSL!

I gather its a phase so i'm just biting my lip just now but telling her off when she goes too far.

candgsmumcandgsmum
Charlotte is already a know it all and she's only 3! Confused

I've just told her not to swing on the child gate because it will break, to which I got told 'mummy, buy another one when it breaks' Wink

Hmmm if only it were so simple LOL!

sugarsugar Moderator
Yep it's normal lol!
My DD is a know it all! She's 4yrs old and has been one since she turned about 2yrs old lol!

ArcadiaArcadia
Thanks all for your replies - glad to know we're all in the same boat. I think I will do as suggested though and encourage her to ask more questions - I don't think I do that enough.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews