Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

WHY DONT DOCS LISTEN 2 WHATS WRONG WITH UR CHILD

chezchez
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
I am so mad. My 2 year old daughter Ebonie started with a really bad cough yeasterday morning and was very wheasy my OH called the docs for an appointment they told him to give her paracetomol and if she is no better in 7-10 days to take her in he told them that she kept struggling to breathe at times and that is was worrying us and asked again for an appointment but they said the same again. At 7pm last night ebonie became really bad with her breathing, wheasing and coughing we called the emergency docs and they told me to take her there we travelled 8 miles to get there and all they did was look at her and give her antibiotics and said she has a chest infection i kept trying to tell him about her episodes of struggling to breath but he was insistant in was just an infection. We brought her home and settled her and went to bed at 11.50pm i woke up and heard a weired noise i went straight into check on ebonie who was layed there struggling breathe she was very pale and was going blue round her lips i was trying to help her while my OH called 999 the ambulance came and she was put on a nebuliser and was taken into hospital when we got there she started to be sick and her SATS went realy low so they had to put her on pure oxygen when they got them back up she had to heve a chest xray. It turns out that she has got a chest infection but has also been diagnoised with servere asthma and is now on inhailers every 4 hours to try to keep her air ways open bless her. She is home now but i just wished the docs would have listened to me in the first place then that attack might not have happened it was horrible im really worried about leaving her on her own now

glittergirlglittergirl
i'm so sorry hun that you've been through this! I hope yr little one recovers quickly! Kiss

I had the same thing with my girl Megan. She was getting cough after cough and struggling for breath. I was adament she had asthma but the docs just kept giving her cough medicine. In the end, i put my foot down and demanded she was put onto inhalers and guess what... yep.. her breathing got better.

She's now on reliever and preventer and touching wood that is my head.. she's fine. Very happy

Darn docs! Take care, i'm sure she'll be feeling better once the meds have kicked in. Kiss

hapydazyhapydazy
aawwww, poor little Ebonie, I hope she is feeling better now with the inhalers... We mommies are always right when it comes to knowing if something is seriously wrong with our kids, shame some Dr's can't take the time to do their job the way they should. They should have atleast checked her oxygen level the first time when you told them she was struggling with breathing and then they would have known. I have to say that my daughter's Dr and the whole staff at the practice are incredible, I am so glad that we have Dr Anthony, he's the best! Give her a big hug from me and Aaralyn and we wish you both feel better (that must have been so scary for you too!) Kiss

jo-jojo-jo
Kiss Oh hun that is awful poor Ebonie,i also suffer from asthma and as an adult its scary so i cant imagine what Ebonie was feeling.My husband still panics when i have an attack so i know how you and your oh would have felt watching her!.I guess we always have to stick to a mothers/fathers instinct is always right!Im glad she is feeling better give her a huge hug from us all.xxxx Kiss Kiss

sugarsugar Moderator
sorry to hear about what happened hun i hope she's ok now Sad Face

i think the problem is now-a-days docotors WONT diagnose anything coz they are scared of being sued!

working in a nursery we often send children home with suspected chicken pox, etc but we arent allowed to diganose it (even though after u seen certain things a few times u can say 99% what it is!) but we need the docotors to say it is for that parent to keep the child off - but now coz docotors wont diagnose anything we cant refuse them entry to the nursery as we need a doc's note saying the child is clear but if they only say "it might be chicken pox" etc they wont give a note out coz they havent said it is or it isnt! which can be annoying especially when 100 other children come down with it and staff and not one bloomin doc will diagnose it! Mad

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
omg hun (((((((((huge hugs))))))))) to you. doctors can be such a***s sometimes

HayleyHayley
OMG hun how scary for you, poor ebonie, docs these days scare me coz u know as a parent that your child is sick, but they look at you as if u are mad..then they wonder why so many kids die of meningtits! Crying

I hope the asthma isnt too bad for her, lots of hugs Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

GTTkelGTTkel
I think with children they should listen to us because we know our child's normal behaviour and they can't tell the doctor what's wrong. I got really cross with a doctor once when I had to go back 3 times in one week with DD when she was a toddler and they couldn't understand why I was angry. When my little girl had been crying and screaming non-stop for days in pain and they'd just said "well sometimes children cry" and it turned out she was quite poorly. The can be arrogant Angry

sugarsugar Moderator
i had to push to have my DD's tear ducts cleared - they said she was just getting conjunctivtus every so often by the time she was 19mths old she had had it over 22 times and her first lot was when she was 4 days old!! i lost count at 22 lol but that was over once a month - turned out her tear ducts were blocked - i wouldnt push for my DD to have to have an op for NO reason! especially when it involved going under general! and funny enough since shes only had it twice (shes 4yrs and 3 mths now) and thats when its going round nursery!

miarubymiaruby
- My blog
God doctors are so rubbish! when my daughter was 2 weeks and 5 days old she developed sickness and a cough! I took her to see the doctor who diagnosed a viral infection and said she should be better soon! If not bring her back! Well when she was exactly 3 weeks old she was still poorly! I wasnt happy with what the doctor had said so I rung up the gp unit, as it was a sunday, and they told us to take her in to see them! however it turned out she had bronchiolitis (sp?)! she was taken for a chest xray! she was very poorly and had to put on oxygen and fed through a tube for the next week in an isolated room on the childrens ward! I was very upset and thought it was all my fault but if the doctor had known from the beginning it might not have been so bad! Now I am very scared evrytime she becomes ill as I saw how easily she got poorly before!

Hope ebonie is feeling better hun sending big hugs to you all! Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

chezchez
sorry to hear you have all had simalar experiences with doctors. It really maddens me how most of them just fob us of it seems like most of them only care about there pay cheque at the end of the week Teeth

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews