Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

confused about maternity pay and if i have to go back

kimbekimbe
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
hi im kim im 26 weeeks pregnant with my first i work as a health care assisstant ive been there over 2yrs will be 3 in november but i will be on matnerty leave then ,,, im very confused im taking full maternity leave including the 13 weeks unpaid ,, i have been told that i must return to work for 3 months after my matnity has finshed other wise i will have to pay all my mat pay back is this ture im very confused Confused

BedheadBedhead
They can't make you pay back statutory maternity pay which is what everybody is entittled to. I think it has changed slightly but when I had mine it was 90% of your earnings for 6 weeks and then £104 a week for a further 20 weeks. Some employers pay extra maternity pay over and above this and they do have the right to ask for that back if you don't return to work. If you are definately not going back you would probably be better doing what I did and asking them not to pay you the extra so you don't have to worry about paying it back.

sugarsugar Moderator
do u work for the NHS hun? I do and i get more than just SMP - i have to go bk for at least 3 month or pay back anything that is above SMP - i get 8 weeks full pay, 18weeks half pay +SMP and the last 13 weeks are just SMP - if i didnt go back i would have to pay back the full pay and half pay i get as its extraq and they dont have to give it to u its to get more ppl to come bk to work after having a baby! and SMPis now £112 a week

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
I'm not sure but you could try and get advice from either the job center or citizens advice.

ellee1984ellee1984
http://www.acas.co.uk/index.aspx?articleid=16 there really good i got my maternity advice from there when i found out i was pregnant. hope that will help you hun

kimbekimbe
aww thank you all very much on my letter it says 39 weeks mat pay 6 months off as ordinary leave + 13 weeks unpaid if i want ,, 1st 6 weeks will be 90 % of average pay then 33 weeks at 112.75 and no the home i work for is private not nhs

sugarsugar Moderator
if thats the case then hun u WONT need to pay anything back i know before the mat leave changed to 6 mth in 2003 u had to pay it back if u didnt go bk to work i think but since 2003 u dont have to pay any back as ur work claims it bk from the government!

GTTkelGTTkel
You only have to pay money back if your job pays you additional money on top of statutory maternity pay,believing you are going back and then you don't. But if you are not going back then there's no point taking unpaid leave as you may aswell just start claiming your Tax Credits

alis378alis378
You wont have to pay anything back hun - you would only have to if the company paid over and above the SMP.

Good luck with the rest of your pg
x

kimbekimbe
awww thank you so much when should i inform my boss that i will not be returning Very happy i leave in 2 weeks

sugarsugar Moderator
u dont have to tell them u wont be returnning until at least 8weeks b4 ur mat leave is due to end so unless u love ur boss u dont have to tell them now!

kimbekimbe
lol i dont love my boss no way thats such a relief that i dont have to worrry about going back

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews