Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

Council tax (are you paying to much)

mumof2_jomumof2_jo
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
Last edited by mumof2_jo 1 decade 3 years ago
MILLIONS of people are paying too much council tax, because of shoddy valuations done more that a decade ago!!

Thousands of tax payers have already claimed!!

HOW to make a claim on council tax;

1. Visit www.voa.gov.uk to see if you pay more that your neighbour. Enter post code and house number. (if you pay less you don't have to tell your council)

2. If you think you are paying more, write to you local listings officer through the www.voa.gov.uk website ans explain why you think your banding in incorrect.

3. The listings officer has a duty to ensure all bands are correct, so it should alter the validation if it believes it is required.

sugarsugar Moderator
I watched this on TV the other night and funny how the site was offline! Mad

mumof2_jomumof2_jo

sugar said:
I watched this on TV the other night and funny how the site was offline! Mad

Mad Mad Just looked its still same keep checking though as i went on last wednesday and got on fine x x

RobRob Admin
- My blog
Government servers can't cope with thousands of members of the public trying to save some money! Smile

I'll be trying this out when it's working again.. I wonder if they refund previous amounts if they adjust it down?

mumof2_jomumof2_jo

taulath said:
Government servers can't cope with thousands of members of the public trying to save some money! Smile

I'll be trying this out when it's working again.. I wonder if they refund previous amounts if they adjust it down?

No you get backpay Wink

Lets hope we have all been paying too much lol

sugarsugar Moderator
My mum thinks im paying too much - im paying mroe than she is on her 3 bedroomed house and we are only in a 2 bedroomed flat!

mumof2_jomumof2_jo
Shocked That doesnt sound right does it Mad
I was reading in paper yesterday that there is to be a council tax rise too Mad

GTTkelGTTkel
We pay more on our flat than our relatives who live in a house in the centre of town which has a higher tax rate!

AlexAlex Moderator
Im in a council House so we are BAND A and also as a student im getting 75% paid just now- so at the moment Im not paying to much Razz

GTTkelGTTkel
We're in a council flat but we're BAND D

FfionFfion
- My blog
im in a council house and in band B, if i was paying council tax i would ahve to pay £96 a month! thnk god i have housing benafits!

hipmommahipmomma
looks like I am paying just the right amount...damnit! lol

EmilyEmily

sugar said:
My mum thinks im paying too much - im paying mroe than she is on her 3 bedroomed house and we are only in a 2 bedroomed flat!

They take into account other things, not just the size of the property eg the amenities, schools in the area, policing etc

candgsmumcandgsmum
Couldn't find where to put my post code but I'm a band B so don't expect to be cheaper than that. Sad Face

GazelleGazelle
Thanks for this thread!

I've just found out that all but 4 houses on my street are in a lower band than us!!!!!

I've made a claim....let's see what happens!

xxx

candgsmumcandgsmum
Good for you hun, good luck xx

pinknfluffypinknfluffy
we are band c but have done a search on the properties in our road that have recently sold (more up to date valution??) and they are a b so i might just write to them - £20 a month might be able to save!!!!!

candgsmumcandgsmum
My mum is a band C and my aunt is a band B, they live a house but one from each other...funny my aunt works at the council tax office isn't it!!!!! Naughty

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews