Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

Bi-racial or multi-cultural families??

hapydazyhapydazy
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
I'm just curious about culture differences and what is accepted in society there (UK) vs here (US).

Aaralyn is bi-racial, I'm just plain white mutt, and her father is bi-racial (his dad is African American and his mother is 1/2 white 1/2 Cape Verdian (ever heard of them?) Cape Verdians are from Cabo Verde off the coast of Portugal, they are a mix of Portugese and African, ranging in many skin tones. Her Great Grandma is very into her Cape Verdian culture, she lives in America but came from the island and I've encouraged her to teach Aaralyn all she can about her back ground.

What my question is... is it mostly acceptable there for multi culture, multi race families?? Where I live it is mostly accepted and very common, in other parts of the country I would still be afraid to walk down a street with my daughter for fear she would be ridiculed for her "ethnicity" and I would be ridiculed for going outside my race. Yes, there are some really, really racist states in the US still, unfortunately.

My parents were always of the old fashioned mind that I should marry and have children with a white man. They got over the fact that they have a bi-racial granddaughter and love her dearly. My mom did offend me the first time we went to visit them in Florida when Aaralyn was 3 months old and she said if anyone asks "what" she is, just tell them she's Portugese. I said absolutely not!! If anyone asks me I will tell them she's American and then what else her heratage is and be proud to say so!! It really made me mad that she said that, but she's never said anything like that since.

So, what's it like there?


miarubymiaruby
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
- My blog
I personally think that where I live there is still alot of racism and alot of people just dont seem to be able to accept others! I however dont see the problem but its a shame everyone isnt like this! Sad Face I still hear of racist attacks on the news and radio! Sad Face Tounge Out

mitchmitch
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
i think its the same here too. in some places whites hate blacks and vice versa there is a lot of racism in this country but i think its the same every were these days more places are more racist than others

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
In the town where I live there are not huge numbers of mixed race families,I have actually noticed more over the past 5 years or so but my town is prodominantly white people. In towns close by there are large areas/estates which are full of coloured families and in some of these areas it's dangerous for white people to walk. Many people are accepting of multi-cultural families but I think there is still alot of racism both from black toward white and white toward black here. People are just abit more closeted about their prejudices than they used to be I think. In the area where I live I would say Homosexuality is accepted more than being from a different culture. I don't personally know any coloured people to speak to(none living in my road or going to school with my daughter or toddlers with my son) but I know 8 gay people one of whom I've been great friends with for 14 years. I don't think everyone will ever accept others for being different because there is always a hierarchy where people think they're better than others. I personally just get on with it and take people as I find them when I meet them

hapydazyhapydazy
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
Well, sounds like it's pretty much the same there as here. It's also reversed too, there are areas where I live that are predomitely black and I would feel awkward or out of place walking down a street for sure! I live outside of Providence which is a very cultureally diversified city, so it's nothing to see multi-race families and homosexual families as well, although I think mixed families are more accepted than homosexuality still. I think every one is entitled to feel what they feel as long as they are not hurting other people... I just personally don't like when people judge someone who's shoes they've never walked in and then critisize because they are "different"... Guess the world in general has a long way to go, to be a more tolerant world.

BedheadBedhead
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
I think that in the UK most of the racism is caused by lack of knowledge of other cultures. Unfortunately it is still the case that alot of areas are either 'black' or 'white' and there is little cross over. It is certainly true that racism runs in both directions, I don't consider myself to be at all rascist but there are areas of Leeds that I would be scared to walk through alone as I am the 'wrong' colour. It saddens me that this is the world that Millie is going to grow up in, in my opinion everyone should learn to tolerate and respect other cultures but I can't see this happening Crying

hapydazyhapydazy
posted 1 decade 3 years ago

Bedhead said:
I think that in the UK most of the racism is caused by lack of knowledge of other cultures. Unfortunately it is still the case that alot of areas are either 'black' or 'white' and there is little cross over. It is certainly true that racism runs in both directions, I don't consider myself to be at all rascist but there are areas of Leeds that I would be scared to walk through alone as I am the 'wrong' colour. It saddens me that this is the world that Millie is going to grow up in, in my opinion everyone should learn to tolerate and respect other cultures but I can't see this happening Crying


It can happen, if my generation and the younger generation teach their kids about tolerance... It's gonna take a few more generations to get there though, I think Sad Face

BedheadBedhead
posted 1 decade 3 years ago

hapydazy said:

It can happen, if my generation and the younger generation teach their kids about tolerance... It's gonna take a few more generations to get there though, I think Sad Face

Think it needs a few more of us as well! In the uk at least, there are still an awful lot of young people parroting their parents rascist (and for that matter homophobic) views. At least we can make sure that our LO's learn respect for other people and their belifs!

hapydazyhapydazy
posted 1 decade 3 years ago

Bedhead said:

hapydazy said:

It can happen, if my generation and the younger generation teach their kids about tolerance... It's gonna take a few more generations to get there though, I think Sad Face

Think it needs a few more of us as well! In the uk at least, there are still an awful lot of young people parroting their parents rascist (and for that matter homophobic) views. At least we can make sure that our LO's learn respect for other people and their belifs!


Hey, it's a start, and it makes me feel so good to read what you just wrote Very happy

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
I think the trouble is that if someone upsets or angers you who happens to be from a different social or cultural group you then brand everyone else from that group the same. Which means you're not giving other people a chance and in return why then should they give you a chance? It's a vicious circle and I think it's very hard in adult-hood to re-think beliefs you learnt in your childhood

hapydazyhapydazy
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
I agree with that too. As I said before, my parents preferred that my sister and I only date or marry white guys. I was jumped by a group of black people and got the sh*t beat out of me when I was 15 but I still didn't let that set the example for all black people. I think it is hard to overcome what you've been taught or if you've lived in a place where there is racism on both sides it's hard to let your gaurd down and be open... I've been there too, but I just try to judge everyone individually... I think we all have a little (and some alot) of prejuduce in us, I'd be lying to say I don't, but I try to not be that way.

candgsmumcandgsmum
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
I remember about 5 years ago the National Front were rallying in our town centre and handing out leaflets and basically bad mouthing other cultures.

I had not long been working at my job and we were getting phone calls from local Off Licences for us to board their windows over (I work for a joinery firm). I felt sad that they were so scared of these people that they were too frightened to open their business in case they were targeted.

The rallies must not have come to much because they stopped after a couple.

I remember going to catch a bus when one was on and there were police everywhere and the ralliers were shouting some really obscene stuff.

hapydazyhapydazy
posted 1 decade 3 years ago

candgsmum said:
I remember about 5 years ago the National Front were rallying in our town centre and handing out leaflets and basically bad mouthing other cultures.

I had not long been working at my job and we were getting phone calls from local Off Licences for us to board their windows over (I work for a joinery firm). I felt sad that they were so scared of these people that they were too frightened to open their business in case they were targeted.

The rallies must not have come to much because they stopped after a couple.

I remember going to catch a bus when one was on and there were police everywhere and the ralliers were shouting some really obscene stuff.


Sarah, what is the National Front... kind of like the KKK in the US?.. like a white supremicist group??

BedheadBedhead
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
Very similar, except I thing that they are more tolerated than the KKK. We even have a major political party (the British National Party or BNP) with similar bigoted views. Fortunately they don't hold very many seats in parliment.

LadybugLadybug
posted 1 decade 3 years ago

Bedhead said:
Fortunately they don't hold very many seats in parliment.


They shouldn't hold any blimmin seats grrr Gag to some bits of democracy LOL

BedheadBedhead
posted 1 decade 3 years ago

Ladybug said:

Bedhead said:
Fortunately they don't hold very many seats in parliment.


They shouldn't hold any blimmin seats grrr Gag to some bits of democracy LOL

Definately! The problem with democracy is that everyone gets a vote, even the really stupid people!

LadybugLadybug
posted 1 decade 3 years ago

Bedhead said:

Ladybug said:

Bedhead said:
Fortunately they don't hold very many seats in parliment.


They shouldn't hold any blimmin seats grrr Gag to some bits of democracy LOL

Definately! The problem with democracy is that everyone gets a vote, even the really stupid people!


Wow now there's a can o' worms if I ever saw one tee heeeee

Now, who's gonna take the bait, hmm? Wink LOL

glittergirlglittergirl
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
where i used to live there was a massive ethnic community but we never saw any mixed couples to be honest. Now i live in South Wales, and apart from a few asian and coloured families, there's hardly any. I have seen a few mixed race children but to be honest, who cares. My ex husband is very racist, one of the things i hated about him. He did say that when our Megan got older, she wouldnt be playing with any asian children! Angry I found this disgusting, especially as he had asian family living next door who he was friendly with! He was so two faced!!! Mad He also said that if Meg ever came home with an asian or black BF, he'd get the shotgun out! Tounge Out I personally wouldnt care what colour he was as long as he treated megan with love and respect.

We have a dear friend who married a mixed race man, her son therefore has olive skin colouring. As far as we know, they have never had any problems, they live in Surrey. She's a single mum now and her lad is 14 and about 6ft 2 and built like a tank so even if he were to come across any racist people, his height would put most sensible people off! LOL

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews