Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

are you a strict parent?

ButtercupButtercup
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
I am the baddie in our house as i am a very strict parent. I hate screaming,crying and stamping feet just for the sake of it Mad

Amy knows she cant push her luck with me but Daddy is a different matter Wink

I very rarely smack her because usually the look is enough Mad Im not a total ogre as we have plenty fun but manners and good behaviour are expected and she gets plenty rewards for them but rudess and bad behaviour are not allowed Wink

I`m not sure if i am too hard on her as she is only coming up for 3 but i think the younger they are taught about manners and discipline the better Suspect

HayleyHayley
ooooh see im quite soft Embarassed (my mum was with us) jamie does most the disciplining coz i end givin in, bad i know!

and the kids know this so sometimes they really play me up, ie shannon atm is bein really naugthy and nothing we are doing is working Crying ( so we have taken lots of her luxuries away)

ButtercupButtercup

Hayley said:
ooooh see im quite soft Embarassed (my mum was with us) jamie does most the disciplining coz i end givin in, bad i know!

and the kids know this so sometimes they really play me up, ie shannon atm is bein really naugthy and nothing we are doing is working Crying ( so we have taken lots of her luxuries away)

you want to send her up to me for a week Razz

HayleyHayley

Buttercup said:

Hayley said:

you want to send her up to me for a week Razz

hahaha that would be interesting, she probably come back traumatised Razz Razz

RichRich Moderator
In this house as far as being the boss with David, thats me I'm afraid, he knows when I ask him to do something, I mean he does it NOW! lol I am only strict on him when I have to be, otherwise he's generally a good lad....but when he's a horror, boy, he's a horror and only Daddys voice will work when he's like that.

angelmumangelmum
I cant help but be soft Wink

kids often push me because they know they can get away with it i say go to bed and tap there bottom but then less then 5 Min's there crying and I'm giving them a hug and letting them back down Embarassed John is more strict then what i'am he says no Sweet's and he wont give them to them he says bed or on the naughty step and he will sit it threw and make sure they know that they are in the wrong

ButtercupButtercup

Rich said:
In this house as far as being the boss with David, thats me I'm afraid, he knows when I ask him to do something, I mean he does it NOW! lol I am only strict on him when I have to be, otherwise he's generally a good lad....but when he's a horror, boy, he's a horror and only Daddys voice will work when he's like that.

Amy is the exact opposite with her daddy she runs rings around him. If it wasnt so infuriating it would be funny Embarassed

GTTkelGTTkel
They listen to my hubby more when he tells them off, but we're quite even in the amount we discipline and our views on it

candgsmumcandgsmum
I'm strict with Charlotte but that sometimes makes me the bad 'un in her eyes because she can run rings round her dad and knows exactly what buttons to press! He will admit he's soft on her.

With George with him being 1 he's just begining to be mischeivous so we are just getting to the NO stage with him at the moment LOL!

LadybugLadybug
Amazingly, I'm a big softie Love

I'm used to being strict and moany at work (but I've become more lenient since having Katie) so seem to be doing the exact opposite at home!

I had a pretty strict upbringing, so I guess I'm maybe over-compensating. Katie knows I'm a pushover, and her acting skills are coming on LOL. It's a real surprise to both hubby and me! We thought I'd be dead strict. Who knows what I'll be like when she's a bit older Wink

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
im the main disciplinarian in our house whereas james is a right softy lol

glittergirlglittergirl
I share residency of my 5 yr old daughter with my ex husband. Meg is usually a very good girl. I've been so lucky, i can take her anywhere and she's never kicked off really badly, just the occasional whine, even as a baby. But she's no angel either and has thrown so rather spectacular tantrums at home Wink

With me, she gets 3 warnings. If she continues to play up after the 3rd, she's in the corner, although this is very unusual, she normally behaves after the 1st or 2nd. She's only ever been in the corner a few times in 5 yrs! Very happy I tend to stand there, give her my 'paddington bear stare, (inherited from my own mother Wink ) and start counting. She knows if i get to 10, she's in deep doo doo. We were shopping the other weekend and she started whining on about somethng. Granted, she was tired, she tends to play up when she's tired. We stood outside the indoor market doors and i'd had enough of her whining on. So i stood her in a corner, by the doors! Shoppers were going in and out and i did get some winks and smiles from other parents. She stayed there for 2 mins, then i said to her that no matter where we were, i'd ALWAYS find a corner! She was an angel after that! Very happy Cool

mitchmitch
buttercupp i too am the baddie of all baddies,,
lee can be erm tuff when he wants to but its generally me
like if hes home and the kids are playing up and i go to shout at them/tell them off they run to daddys direction.
i agree with what you say 10000000% they are never too young to learn good mnanners and politeness etc the younger the better..
mine have manners but on the same thing when they go to the loo they dont say they are going for a poo they use the s word which is totally my fault entirley.as i use it so they are bound to copy. Embarassed

hapydazyhapydazy
I am definatley more disciplinary than I think Aaralyn's dad is with her (although I don't see them together often) she gets time outs (which are working less now) and I take important things away when she's naughty then she has to "earn" them back.

She has gotten an occasional swat on the bum, but more so to hurt her feelings than to hurt her physically. A lil swat on bum every once in a while for something major makes so I can threaten with that and the threat is usually enough.

I'm huge on manners though, and I don't think any age is too early to start teaching kids their pleases and thank you's!

Right now I think are the easy years, I don't know how I will be when she's a teenager Shocked especially if she's like I was Shocked

mumof2_jomumof2_jo
Id say I'm the one that is most strict with the kids Dad let's they get away with anything he too soft Shocked Wink

lauranlauran
i am def the strict one in our house. My hubby is the biggest softie poss and cant bear to upset our son George, 4 1/2yrs. But the few occasions he has raised his voice George was really upset and did as he was told (with daddy crying in the corner!!) I try not to let George get to me and try to copy hubby but as i am the one at home with him and our baby allday then it gets to me more. Trying to get happy medium

chezchez
me and my OH are more or less as strict as each other when we have to be. We have great fun with our girls but when they start with the playing up and doing stupid moaning they do for no reason we put them in line we never hit them they get 1 warning and then after that its the naughty step and everytime they come of if we havent told them to we take a dvd of them they hate that coz they love there dvds. I have been quite strict from and early age coz my mum was never strict on me when i was young but when i got to my teenage yrs she tried laying the law down and i rebelled so i am learning from her mistakes and starting early with mine LOL x

catgirl_872catgirl_872
we not but when kieran does somethin wrong if richs even raises his voice kieran starts cryin his eyes out and comes to me but of course i say no and to tell him to say sorry to daddy but its so hard cus hes not use to be told off cus hes such a good boy and only 18 months Sad Face

jo-jojo-jo
I hate to admit it but i am the bad ass at home!but my DS is well behaved and has great manners though the occasional "huge" tantrum will errupt and send me over the edge.lol Embarassed

When Daddy comes home is probably the toughest time for me as everything i have nagged my DS about all day goes out the window.My DH has a bad habbit of giving in to EVERYTHING.He had a horrible childhood so he doesnt like to much stricktness!

Hence my nick name of "hitler hips". LMAO Embarassed

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews