Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

How many of us BF but felt guilty when you had to stop?

HayleyHayley
posted 1 decade 1 year ago
ME! Crying i so wanted to BF charlie for 6 mths, but i just couldnt do it, so i had to give up at 10 weeks (as i did with shannon n declan)

It just wasnt feeling him up and he wasnt gaining weight, so i tried the combined feedin for a while and that made my milk dry up! Crying

I did feel guilty coz i wanted him to have a great start! Baby


ButtercupButtercup
posted 1 decade 1 year ago
i only managed 2 days and was in agony and Amy was screaming constantly as she wasnt getting enough Embarassed so you managed a lot longer than i did.

TBH i didnt like BF in the least but wanted to try and give her the best start but it wasntmeant to be Shrug

staceybstaceyb
posted 1 decade 1 year ago
- My blog

Buttercup said:
i only managed 2 days and was in agony and Amy was screaming constantly as she wasnt getting enough Embarassed so you managed a lot longer than i did.

TBH i didnt like BF in the least but wanted to try and give her the best start but it wasntmeant to be Shrug


i was the same with Jami. only lasted 3 days. was in agony, bleeding and she wasnt getting enough. i didnt enjoy it so i didnt BF my other 2 and yes i felt guilty

AlexAlex Moderator
posted 1 decade 1 year ago
I really wanted to BF but Joseph just wouldn't take to it and the midwife said I didn't have a great supply even though I was frantically trying to express so I could at least give him something. The midwife then said on day 3 it is about time to feed this baby and stuck a bottle of formula in his mouth!! he never stopped eating after that!

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 1 decade 1 year ago
I felt so sad when it didn't work out and I had to go to bottle feeding with both of mine Sad

CathyGCathyG
posted 1 decade 1 year ago
i found it really hard to start with (had got a strange condition of the nipples during pregnancy & they were all crusted over & swollen with fluid, but i managed as best i could, it was agony but i was determined. Freddie was so hungry i was feeding every hour for 45mins or so. it wa exhausting. i continued to feed for 7 months in total, but had introduced 1 formula feed at 6 weeks, another at 13 weeks & a 3rd when i weaned him. This worked great for me. Freddie finally stopped wanting Breast himself at 7 months. x

HayleyHayley
posted 1 decade 1 year ago

CathyG said:
i found it really hard to start with (had got a strange condition of the nipples during pregnancy & they were all crusted over & swollen with fluid, but i managed as best i could, it was agony but i was determined. Freddie was so hungry i was feeding every hour for 45mins or so. it wa exhausting. i continued to feed for 7 months in total, but had introduced 1 formula feed at 6 weeks, another at 13 weeks & a 3rd when i weaned him. This worked great for me. Freddie finally stopped wanting Breast himself at 7 months. x


WELL DONE HUN U DO SO WELL SEEING AS U WERE IN PAIN! Shocked Clapping

hipmommahipmomma
posted 1 decade 1 year ago
I managed 2 agonising weeks with Josh, only to find out afterwards that his lower jaw was set back so it was actually impossible for it to work! He had months of trouble even using bottles. I was heartbroken, as when i had josh my only 2 stipulations were breastfeeding and no dummy. he had a dummy from 3-6 months in the end too. I sat and cried when i gave him his first bottle! ~I did feel as though i had failed in some way. With charlie i gave it a go, but had said from the offset that if it was having a negative effect on josh then i would stop. It was taking so long with her, i went onto bottles after about 4 days. Even then she had about 1-2ozs every 45-90 mins. It wasnt fair on josh to be sat unable to interact with him for such a massive amount of time so i did what i though was best for them both. I would definately attempt it again when i have another, but wont harbour any bad feelings if i switch to bottles quickly Shrug

HayleyHayley
posted 1 decade 1 year ago

hipmomma said:
I managed 2 agonising weeks with Josh, only to find out afterwards that his lower jaw was set back so it was actually impossible for it to work! He had months of trouble even using bottles. I was heartbroken, as when i had josh my only 2 stipulations were breastfeeding and no dummy. he had a dummy from 3-6 months in the end too. I sat and cried when i gave him his first bottle! ~I did feel as though i had failed in some way. With charlie i gave it a go, but had said from the offset that if it was having a negative effect on josh then i would stop. It was taking so long with her, i went onto bottles after about 4 days. Even then she had about 1-2ozs every 45-90 mins. It wasnt fair on josh to be sat unable to interact with him for such a massive amount of time so i did what i though was best for them both. I would definately attempt it again when i have another, but wont harbour any bad feelings if i switch to bottles quickly Shrug



aww hun it wasnt your fault! Hug u did ur best u shud be proud! Kiss

lauranlauran
posted 1 decade 11 months ago
You should be really proud that you managed for so long. You've done great! Unfortunaltly neither of my children would take the breast. George cried continually when the nipple was in his mouth yet would suck on anything else. I did the whole experssing into a siringe but after two days of having nothing more than 5ml every few hours i relised that no matter what the midwives said he was'nt going to do it. He was disrtaught for heavens sake. The look of pure contenment on his face after a bottle was pricless. I carried on trying when we got home, he still would'nt so i eneded up expressing 2 or 3 bottles a day for 3 weeks before rilsing i had to stop as i was exhusted from it all. I felt really bad like i had let him down as i am a nursery nuirse and even studied how to breast feed at college! With my daughter Imogen i was even more prepared and even went to classes. Yet agian she would'nt latch on for anything. I was constanly hand expressing til my boobs were badly briused. After 30 hours i gave her a bottle. I carried on trying for a week. I even spent all day in bed trying to get her to do it, but she would just get so upset. She made more effort than George bt by the time she made an effort i had blood blisters and cracked nipples so i gave up. I've stopped feeling so bad as i tried (God knows i tried!!) i give them the best diet possible now and hope that makes up for it!

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
posted 1 decade 11 months ago
I tried to do it in the hospital, I stayed in there 5 days to see if I could get the hang of it, but I stopped a week after as Caitlin wasn't getting enough milk, and it was really starting to hurt and get me down. When I switched to bottles she loved them. Gonna try with my next one, I'll try to go to the breast feeding classes etc

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
posted 1 decade 11 months ago
I breastfed Aaralyn until she was 8 months. I almost gave up at the beginning because she was premie and her little mouth just couldn't latch on so I had to express for the first 2 weeks or so. The nursing staff at the hospital was awesome and so encouraging while we were there for 2 weeks after she was born. A nurse would even call me after we went home to see how things were going. One night when she was about 2 weeks old, she just latched on and that was it!! Clapping I would've liked to BF for a year but she just kinda stopped around 8 months old Sad

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
posted 1 decade 11 months ago
O wow that is awesome!!8 months is still a good age

angelmumangelmum
posted 1 decade 11 months ago
I have only managed a few week's with all of mine and gave up wish i carried on Crying

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
posted 1 decade 11 months ago

Kelly_Cait said:
O wow that is awesome!!8 months is still a good age


yea, I was happy that I was able to for that long. It also helped that I took care of my friend's 2 boys for work until she was 7 months old so she was always with me, made it much easier.

I think even giving it a try should get Thumbs Up Clapping and even if they don't get breastfed at all, the formulas now are just as good. Aaralyn still got sick alot and had an immune disorder so it didn't help in that department. I think it was a good bonding thing for us though Love

BedheadBedhead
posted 1 decade 11 months ago
I fed Millie for 10 1/2 months and I still felt lke I had failed when she decided she didn't want it any more. I was so determined that I was going to carry on for the first year. Thing is that no matter how many times we read that breastfeeding is best the babies haven't read the books and some of them are just lazy little buggers who prefer bottles LOL. I agree with Happydazy Clapping everyone for at lest giving it a go.

LadybugLadybug
posted 1 decade 11 months ago
Katie got bottles when I first went back to work, when she was six months. She got formula in her cereal and after puny expressed bottles twice a day when I wasn't there. Other than that, I fed her myself. I loved it sooo much and hope that I can do the same for my next baby. Katie self-weaned completely by 15 months, shortly after I became pregnant. They say the taste of the milk changes when you're pregnant, to put them off so all nutrients go to the fetus. Not too sure about that one... but hey, subject of thread...

Even after 15months I still felt guilty, which is ridiculous. But we both fell very very ill with gastroenteritis, and bfing protects babies from that illness. So as well as suffering from the effects of gastroenteritis, I felt reeeeeally guilty that Katie was ill for the first time, and that I could have protected her from it, AND that I was so unwell I couldn't help her myself!

Total eejit, I know Smile

pinkfairypinkfairy
posted 1 decade 11 months ago
I fed Scarlett for 13 1/2 months but stopped as I was on a high dose of antibiotic and painkillers, so had to stop . Also Scarlett seemed ready and took to having cows milk straight away. Really felt sad when I stopped and do miss it but the decision was made for me, but I am proud to have fed her for as long as I did. Breastfeeding isn't for everyone though, Mummy and baby have to enjoy it.

LadybugLadybug
posted 1 decade 11 months ago
Wave Wave Wave Wave Wave
Hello Pinkfairy!!!!!!!! Fancy meetin you here LOL
Hug

pinkfairypinkfairy
posted 1 decade 11 months ago
Hey Ladybug! Not been on here for a while so thought I would pop on. How are you?

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search forums

Latest Reviews