Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

what do you do about this....?

hapydazyhapydazy
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
I'm just curious because as I am typing this Aaralyn is in the back yard in the tent coloring... I can see her from where I am because the computer is in the screened in porch room just off the outside porch. Anyway, I'm just curious if you guys talk to your kids about what to do if someone tried to grab them. I've always told Aaralyn if someone ever tried to grab her away she should scream, yell, kick, bite and do all that as loud and hard as she can. She doesn't seem to be afraid of this when I tell her (as I originally thought it might scare her) but every once in a while I ask her what she would do and she says she would bite, scream, yell and kick so she is definately paying attention when I talked to her about this. Do you think it's ok to talk to them about this at a young age? and what do you say to your kids if you do?

glittergirlglittergirl
Megan's only just turned 5 so i'm going gentle on her at the min. She's never out of my sight to be honest, if she plays in the garden, its the back garden and as we live in a terrace, no one can get round and if she's out the front garden, its always with one of us or the dog ( he will eat anyone who tries to get in the front gate! Shocked Embarassed )

But my stepson takes her out sometimes to the park etc and i've told her not to talk to anyone other than him or his gf, unless she's with them and its their friends. I've told her that there are nasty people as well as nice people. I think i might have a look for a book aimed at her age about 'stranger danger'.

ellee1984ellee1984
with whats happened recently with children I think it is a good idea to tell them to do these things because at least that way they are drawing attention to it and hopefully someone will try to stop it or notify the authorities alot quicker. If they think oh its just a naughty child when it comes on the news about it they are going to remember more and hopefully it will help the police etc find the person who snatched the child quicker. If that makes sense?

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
i think its a good idea to tell them when theyre young as theyre always so trusting and they should know that there arent always nice ppl out there

hapydazyhapydazy
Good, I'm glad other's agree. There have been times that we've been in the market and she rounds around the corner ahead of me. I tell, honey, somebody could grab you so quick and just like you guys said they need to know there are bad people out there. She's not shy at all and I don't want to make her scared of every body but just that you never know who that bad person could be.

I like the idea about a book too Glittergirl, let me know what you find out there and I'll let you all know what I find for books too.

And yep, Ellee, I think too if a child puts up enough ruckus the bad person might just give up as to not have that attention drawn to them.

mumof2_jomumof2_jo
I also tell Eloise as its the world we live in and they have to know to some degree that not everyones nice Sad Face

So we talk about 'Stranger DANGER' I tell her the same to scream kick run shout, she said to me 'so its OK for me to talk to ladies who are strangers but not men' Shocked So I had to explain that some ladies are not nice people too, its a shame to have to scare them into staying away from strangers Suspect

Eloise only plays in the garden on her own and iv got 2 dogs and larger gate with locks etc but I still worry the book thing sounds like a good idea Smile

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews