Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

day in hospital

pinknfluffypinknfluffy
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
hi all

i have just had the most awful day of my life!!!

this morning after making packed lunches i made a cup of tea - poured the water in the cup and turned round to get a spoon out of the drawer and tallulah pulled the chopping board off the work top with the cup of tea on it.

we ran upstairs with her and put her under the shower and phoned an ambulance. they wrapped her shoulder and chest in cling film and took us to the local hospital. she had bloods and was given some pain relief. it was awful her skin was all blistered and raw. they transferred us quickly to broomfield where she was seen quickly and treated. the whole day was a blur and all i could think of was why had i left it on the board and what if i have scarred my precious, beautiful girl. i was so upset that her dad had to hold her while they stripped the blisters and dressed her. we have brought her home now and she seems fine.

thank god it is only surface burns and she will heal in 2/3 weeks we have to go and have her dressings changed 3 times a week and she had to have some of her hair shaved because she has burns on her scalp. but i feel so awful and guilty and would have swapped places with her in a heartbeat. on the way home from the hospital we went and got a stairgate so she cant come in the kitchen.

i have the most horrific headache and feel empty and sick.

crazy_girlcrazy_girl
awww i hope she is ok..its no ones fault its just one of those things that happen..dont blame yourself...

big hugs Kiss Kiss

xxx

pinknfluffypinknfluffy
thanks crazy girl

i know the hospital staff were lovely but when your precious bubbi is screaming in agony because i had not moved my cup or hadnt put her in the front room it breaks your heart.

she seems fine and is dancing to boogie beebies!!

hapydazyhapydazy
oh my goodness honey please don't feel that way, it was not your fault. The same thing happened to me when I was about 2, my mom had boiling hot water with the handle sticking out and I reached up and grabbed it and poured it all over my self. This was in a small town in Alaska and my mom said the hospital was horrible with me so she scooped me up and took me home and took care of it herself. I had 3rd degree burns and you can only see the scars on my chest and belly if it's pointed out. Give her lots of love (I'm sure you will) and don't be hard on yourself Kiss and give yourself and your LO a big hug from me too

crazy_girlcrazy_girl
your welcome..im sure she will soon forget bout it with lots of cuddles..

hope your both ok Kiss Kiss

xxx

BedheadBedhead
Aw Sweetie, don't blame your self, these things happen. Millie once threw a cup of coffe over me and her, fortunately it wasn't hot enough to burn, but LO's seem to have a gift for reaching things you thought were out of their reach. Glad that the burns aren't too serious Kiss Kiss Kerry

miarubymiaruby
- My blog
aww hun sending you both sum (((((hugs))))) hoe she gets better soon hun! and dont feel like its your fault! its just one of those things that happens hun! a few months ago Mia pulled a cup of tea onto herself but wasnt very hot! still made her skin very red and sore but trust me she will forget all about it! xxx

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
awwwww hun. how awful for you but you mustnt blame yrself. accidents do happen. (((((((((huge hugs)))))))) to you all xxxx

mumof2_jomumof2_jo
Kiss Kiss Kiss

Aww im glad she will be ok hun ((((((((((((((big hugs)))))) to you both I no its hard to say dont feel guilty but dont accidents happen x x

candgsmumcandgsmum
Hey hun, Charlotte burned the whole of her hand when she was about 9 months old. She crawled upto a metal teapot in my parents house as it was on a tray on the floor and put her hand straight on it. My dad was really upset as he was watching her and literally took his eyes of her for 5 seconds! Charlotte has no scaring and hasn't got any side affects.

accidents happen hun and we can't live with what ifs or we wouldn't be able to live. Don't blame yourself xx

pinknfluffypinknfluffy
thanks girls!!

the thing is i cant remeber at what point i saw her and whether i could have pulled her out of the way or puhed the cup and that cuts me up.

she is happy chicken today - eeven when i have to clean her scalp and put fresh gel on she is fine.

we are going upto see my dad and my nan in 3 weeks and i need to tell them what has happened (not to worry them but so they know why she will be scabby) but im dreading it im sure they will blame me just as i do.

its bloody common sense not to have hot tea within her reach yet i did.

hipmommahipmomma
Hunni dont blame yourself. easy done i know. My angel Charlie has a black eye at the moment. We only have a shower so they have mini baths in the bottom of it. i reached up to get the shampoo off the shelf, knocked the other bottle off and as it went flying down she looked up, but the time she lifted her face up there was blood everywhere and her eye had swollen up so it has hardly open. The bottle had cut right under the lower lid! I know really that is was an accident, and she is ok and everything, but i swaer i cried for an hour after she went to bed! Dont beat yourself up over it, i dont think anyone didnt go to A&E at least once as a child! xXXx

GTTkelGTTkel
Poor little love, hope she's ok. My DD burnt her hand when she was younger and I felt like I should have stopped it from happening but it did

jo-jojo-jo
Kiss Oh hunn big hugs and kisses to you both.I hope she feels better soon.It wasn't your fault hun it was a accident and unfortunatly they do happen so don't beat your self up over it hun.thinking of you both xxxxx(im sure your dad and nan will understand hun)

pinknfluffypinknfluffy
thank you all so much!!!

you wouldnt believe she has been injured she has truly bounced back.

she has a dressing covering her top right arm, shoulder and chest and she is using her arm as if nothing was wrong, she's not tearful or grumpy (like i would be) she's just enjoying the treats we giving her.

we went to tesco yesterday to stock up on high protein foods to help regenerate new cells so she has had lots of chocolate, cheese strippers, yoghurts and milkshakes. we made a headscarf out of a mueslin as she cant be exposed to the sun.

we got to go and have her dressings changed tomorrow and fortunately rich's work are understanding because i couldnt bare to see her in pain. he has been wonderful and really held me together.

im going to phone my best friend and nan later -dreading it!!!

candgsmumcandgsmum
Hope the call went well (I'm sure they understood hun).

I remember Charlotte not been bothered either when she went to have her dressings changed and I remember they used to clean it with a mediwipe and she didn't even flinch!

Glad to hear she is doing really well xx

pinknfluffypinknfluffy
i phoned my dad and nan on sunday and they were fine obviously concerned that she was ok and not in pain and they were both inderstanding and said it happens in a split second. they looking forward to seeing her in 3 weeks and spoiling her.

we took her to have her dressings changed yesterday and she was soo brave. it didnt look half as bad as it did on friday and they said she has no infection and is healing at the rate they would expect. they expect the majority to heal withing 2 eeks which will mean no scarring - she has a couple of penny sized patches on her shoulder and arm that are paler which they said are a little deeper so may scar but they are little.

bought her some pretty headscarves from asda to keep the sun off her head wound which has scabbed and will heal in the next week.

now ive seen what it looks like i have calmed right down and im not as stressed. ive learnt my lesson well and truly and thank god it wasnt worse - there was a little girl in out patients who had bad burns to hed face and hands, she had lost fingers but she was soo smiley and chatty. i do thank my lucky stars!!!

hapydazyhapydazy
aawww, I'm glad you are both feeling better! Kiss to ya both

kaceyh29kaceyh29
Hi

God how awful and scary for you, sorry I'm a bit late replying but I'm catching up with the posts. Can't believe what happened, certainly made me thik about tea making and the kids around my feet!

Don't blame yourself, it could have happened to anyone but I can understand how awful you must have felt. It sounds like she's not experiencing any pain or traumas though and I'm really pleased she wasn't hurt / burned badly.

I went to Broomfield with my daughter, she has cleft lip and palate or rather did have. They're a fabulous lot up there. Smile

Kerry

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews