Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

Are all children bottemless pits???

sliceslice
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
I know to some mothers this might sound like a piontless moan because they have children that wont eat at all but how can I stop my five year old wanting to eat,He has suspected A.D.H.D so I think ok he is burning off lots of energy,BUT this is none stop,all day everyday and if I say no then the whining is so bad that I start to get really cross with him,now it would be so much easier if it was just sweets an crisps he is after but it isnt he will have what ever e can get so he will ask for fruit ad vegetables aswell.Both my husband and I have weight issues and I do worry about him getting overweight and being teased by other children.I always give him balanced meals but they never satisfy him and you can garentee if not straight away within a few minutes he is asking for somthing else,I dont know whether I should feed on the demand or not,whether it is part of his behaviours to gain attention.Please could anyone tell me if they have the same problem or give me some advice as this is becoming a real issue for me to deal with. xx kel

kizzykizzy
at 5 yrs old he should know when meal times are ..give him his usual breakfast lunch tea ,and if he wants in between then healthy snacks dont harm ,but wantin something all the time is asking for trouble IMO!!

my daughter is always sayin shes hungry ..i allow both my kids a biscuit or moose or yoghurt after meals ,but anything besides that its fruit or nowt..results in a lot of moanin but ,hey ,i can take it LOL

good luck xx

sliceslice
Thanks for that, I do generally only offer fruit and he will take it gladly, today he had and apple after his breakfast, then when he put the core in the bin he then asked for another,when I said he didnt need it I had the whole" you give me nothing" screaming, he then walked out and just took one which i took back but then he returned when I went to the loo and took a hanfull of grapes and stuffed the all in his mouth and said you cant have them because I have already eaten them and laughed at me. Grrrrr

candgsmumcandgsmum
Hiya hun, I don't really know what to suggest to be honest as my DD doesn't eat much but I just leave a big bowl of loads of diferent fruit out for her so she can get something out when she fancies. She is also allowed to have yoghurt when she fancies. She wont eat many veggies unfortunately.

Sorry if this isn't much help? Also I don't know the ins and outs of ADHD but could it be a boredom thing, he's is bored and eating is a way of filling up some time? I only ask as my brother in law has some suspected behavioural problems and when he is bored he will ask for food?? Sorry if that is not it.

sliceslice
I have susspected that as being part of the problem,thanks for your advice

hapydazyhapydazy
Your's is not the only Kelly, Aaralyn is the same exact way... every ten minutes "mommy, i'm hungry".... I thought maybe it was boredom too but she devours everything I give her (thank God she loves healthy snacks, fruits and veggies too!) She's always been on the smaller side for her age and she is growing in major spurts right now so I think maybe that's why too? or is that just an "old wifes tale"? that they eat more when they are growing. Her pediatrician said that as long as she's not eating right before bed and is eating healthy snacks in between meals it should be just fine. He did also mention the boredom thing too... Good luck, it sounds like as long as he wanting to snack on fruits and veggies, that's a great thing Very happy

sliceslice
Oh yeah I try to keep it healthy,I have noticed he is trying to chew his nails aswell, do you think this is linked.

hapydazyhapydazy
It very well may be linked, when you have the assesment about the ADHD that should answer alot of questions... I'm suspect that Aaralyn may be as well (not ADHD, but maybe ADD) but then you know she has her little "daydreaming" episodes too Wink

sliceslice
Im not sure if it just built up nervouse energy!I wish the place doing the asseament will pull there finger out.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews