Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

baby waking in middle of the night

lisamlisam
posted 1 decade 1 year ago
Just wanting advice of mums who have or who are going through the same as me.I have a 7 1/2 month old who for the past 3 weeks has suddenly started waking up a lot in the middle of the night. I have spoken to my health visitor who at first thought it was teething, but then said it could be the fact that he has dummy and it falls out at night and he wants it putting back in. I tried a week of getting him to sleep without out his dummy which was fine but then it started again and it was worse than before.I know that he is teething could this be the reason some of my friends and family think so.Any ideas tips or advice would be welcome Sad

HayleyHayley
SOUNDS LIKE TEETHING HUN, im havin the same prob but my baby is 6 weeks so i guess thats what they do at 6 weeks LOL, he wakes up once or twice for a feed!!!

i think thats normal!! Confused

my other 2 had dummies n i found tht i was gettin up in the night coz their dummies fell out n they wanted it back in their gob..but as soon as i stopped they didnt wake up!

has he got a night light ? maybe that wud help!

sugarsugar Moderator
thought this might get a few more repsonses in here rather than out and about Smile

EmmieEmmie
does a baby teeth at 6 week?? bit young aint it\? Shocked

GTTkelGTTkel
Is your baby waking for a bottle?or just waking? If it's for a bottle the way I got my two out of it was to just give water to drink at night,they stopped waking after a couple of nights. But DS who is 9 months was waking recently when he had a cold Baby

trogettetrogette
Babies are known to have increased need to feed around the 3wks, 6wks, 12wks, 16/17wks and 6m mark and any time in the 2nd half of the first year, it's to do with brain development spurts Smile Also if you've introduced solids there might be something that's causing night-waking as a symptom of low tolerance? Dairy and wheat are major culprits there.

AlexAlex Moderator
It is february, could baby be cold Confused try putting a blanket under his sheet to keep the heat up

carnivalgicarnivalgi
My daughter is 22 months and has never slept through the night! She wakes at least three times. We've given up now and just go with the flow!

chezchez
sounds like teething hunny if you go to the chemist and ask for a medicen called medised its specially for helping babies sleep through the night while teething so that they are not waking up in pain with it but it isnt for using during the day it worked wonders for mine hope it is some help Smile

juliebjulieb
Crying hiya, im going thro the same problem, my little girl is 7 months old and over the past two weeks has woken at least 10 times per night.
she also has a dummy of which falls out. maybe its teething but I don't believe it is?
if you get any good tips please pass them on, I'm desperate too!!!

AvalonAvalon
Hi We have just gone through a week of my 1 year old daughter doing the same. We have had this on and of since she was about 3mths. We firstly though it was teething. However we suspect that it is actually a growth spurt. I noticed it more the last two times as afther the week I ususally had to put bigger clothes on her.

Hope things improve
Avalon
xxx

boosmummyboosmummy
our eldest went through this and it was teething, found giving him an ashton & parsons powder before bed helped. our youngest however was 1 last week and STILL wakes in the night. He's not hungry, thirsty, cold/hot, doesn't want cuddling, doesn't want a dummy (he stopped using them at 4mths himself) he just wakes. In 12mths i've only had around 14/15 nights where i've slept through...please let him grow out of it! Sleep

EmsandSamEmsandSam
posted 1 decade 1 week ago
I suggest a sleepytot comforter for this problem. Pop the dummies on it so baby can soothe herself. I recently got one and it's worked so well that I tell everyone to get one.

glowingsunglowingsun
posted 1 decade 1 week ago
It's probably teething, but it could aslo be growing pains. Is your baby more hungry these days? Try giving your baby some gripe water or orajel before he goes to bed and see if that makes a difference.

alarnahsmumalarnahsmum
posted 1 decade 3 days ago
[quote="chez"]sounds like teething hunny if you go to the chemist and ask for a medicen called medised its specially for helping babies sleep through the night while teething so that they are not waking up in pain with it but it isnt for using during the day it worked wonders for mine hope it is some help Smile[/quote

I tried the medised it helps get them off to sleep but doens't help with them waking int he night. my daughter is 13 months and for the past 2 months has been waking up almost every night at aorund 3am. she deosn't want a bottle just takes half an hour to settle back down before sleeping till 6.30-7am. she has had a cold, cough and has been teething during this time so i guess there's a valid reason for her waking. it deos take it out of you though and am starting to worry now that she is getting into a routine of waking up and that she is doing out of habit now.hope not!

mum23monkeysmum23monkeys
posted 9 years 4 hours ago

Hi all, have 5 month old (big boy, 10lb 4 at birth so on solids early)who sleeps like a darling during the day, and goes down brill @ 7.30pm. Do a dream feed 11pmish, but then he wakes at 2pm and WILL NOT GO BACK TO SLEEP! Frustrated I don't think he's hungry as not keen for 7am feed, think it's just a habit but how do we break it? Tried CC / PUPD / CD & bottles of H20, nothing working...Don't want to fall into trap of taking him into bed with us but very temptin. Anyone else been thro this, got any tips? Unsure Feel like a total dummy, got two other kiddies and didn't have this problem with either of them.
Nik xx

pudding31pudding31
posted 8 years 11 months ago
my wee girl is nearly 21 months and her sleeping isn't the best as she wakes at least once/twice every night if not more. When she was born she wouldnt settle for the night until after 1am and then when the clocks changed it was 2am or later and then when she got her jags at 8 wks all of a sudden she went in for the night at 11 pm but when i say night i mean for 3-4 hours. i could count on the 1 hand the number of nights she sleep throughout. i didnt use a dummy with her. when she woke she took a feed and went down again i didnt have no crying or anything thank god. then as she got bigger i gave her water in the middle of the night and it did cut back on the number of times she wakened but then she got sick and my routine of water in the night was out the window and she wanted her milk!! then when u would get back into a sort of routine again she would either be teethin or sick and it was just back to square 1!! i dont know how im gonna get her to sleep all night and better again how im going to get her off her bottle. she goes up to bed grand but thank god she's still in her cot cos if she was in her bed there's no chance she would lie down - i think maybe she's just a very active child!! Very Happy

milkymummilkymum
posted 8 years 10 months ago
My EJ is know 2 years and 3 months and still hasn't worked out how to sleep through the night. At the worse he would wake 8 times in one night and on his good nights he only wakes twice. He will know accept a beaker of water but until recently I would have to give warm milk in a beaker to get him back to sleep. I personally feel a child will start sleeping through the night when they are ready no matter what you do to encourage this to happen.

And as for a 6 week old teething yes it can happen. My LC started teething at 5 weeks and by the tiem she was 18 months she had all her teeth including the second molars. She ha dvery hard gums when born when tey did a dental x-ray to work out why her gums were so hard she had 8 teeth buds already formed just sat there waiting for the teething to start.

sgillebergsgilleberg
posted 8 years 9 months ago
Some of the things that can affect night waking are overtiredness, separation anxiety, no bedtime routine, inability to self soothe and a reliance on sleep props like dummies. Teething can also be a nightmare. Hope things are getting for you now.

rachelessexrachelessex
posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hi all im new to the forum , i have twins girl/boy will be 3 in march , new problem is waking in the night for over an hour screaming asking about the planes i have planes going over alot at night which wakes the girl up and nothing can sort her out she throws her covers off then calls me back in to cover her over , this happens about ten times and everytime its something else ie kiss , toys , blanket , light on and im getting so tired and frustrated with it all i cant leave her to keep shouting as i would have them both awake.

Any ideas on what i could do i was thinking about get a mini stereo with some bedtime stories on maybe that would help her block the plane noise out !!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews