Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

your thoughts??

AmberAmber
posted 6 months 2 weeks ago
Hi girls! I'm back with another post. And I'm not going to vent. What a surprise, right? As you might know from my previous posts, my DH and I have been ttcing for 5 years. Our 3rd ivf failed, we are thinking about using donor eggs. Last year was super hard for me... For both of us actually, but you know what I mean... It's always harder for women to go through TTC and failures as we have more "responsibilities" here... Well I was so depressed, stressed, angry, sad and disappointed lately. The whole TTC thing affected my whole life, each and every aspect of it. Tbh I forgot when was the last time I was truly happy. I do not hang out with friends anymore and do not go out with DH... Moreover, our moms keep pushing adoption, which makes the whole TTC thing even more complicated.
I remember I promised not to vent! I want to make this post kinda positive I guess? I think I've already failed but well... Please just bear with me! Here's the thing. A couple of days ago I came across a post about mitochondria donation. Never have I ever heard about it before, though I've been TTC for more than 5 years. Is it something new? Or am I the only one who was in the dark this whole time?
I couldn't find much info about this method of donation. But if I understand correctly, you can get preg with your own eggs. It's also called mitochondrial replacement therapy and it is another fertility treatment. It gives women, who had failed ivfs a chance to give birth to a baby who shares a genetic relationship with her. Mitochondrion is a very important component of all living cells. Our eggs also include this component. Mitochondrion, simply put, is the cell’s energy station. Basically, it supplies the cell with energy so it can work properly. We can become pregnant only if there are functionally active mitochondria in our oocytes. Donation of mitochondria can help such women as I am to become mothers. So maybe I won't need to use eggs of a donor... And it will be my own baby... I'm not saying that de ivf is no good, I'm still considering it as an option. But if I could have mitochondria donation it would be even better. So girls, my questions are, what do you know about it? Where it can be done? What are costs? Any information would be great.

luizzaluizza
posted 5 months 3 weeks ago
I didn't want to read and run. I'm in the same boat! I'm so sorry about your failed cycles. I had my 2nd ivf in April. Unfortunately bfn. The 3rd ivf is coming. I don't know what to do if it fails. Dr has already mentioned donor eggs... I'm so not ready for this step. I've never heard about mitochondria donation either. Sounds pretty interesting. I'll definitely do my research. I hope 3rd cycle will be bfp, but even if it fails I will have one more option. Using donor eggs is the last thing I'd do. I know it's a great treatment, but want to try everything possible to have my own baby... It's been a while since you posted, any updates?

AmberAmber
posted 1 month 2 weeks ago
Hi girls! I'm back with a little update. The forum is so quiet lately... Don't worry I'm not going to vent! I promise) I haven't moved forward much with the mitochondrial donation. What can I say... Life happens and the last couple of months were really overwhelming. But as we saved some money we're ready for the next step. I'm looking into MD. I fit the treatment perfectly. I'm 40 and I had 3 failed IVF rounds with my eggs. Of course, only Dr can say if I can go for MD... But for now, I'm considering this option. There will be a webinar on 25th of October https://biotexcom.clickmeeting.com/mitochondrial-replacement-therapy I'll definitely ask the professional all I need to know about the treatment so we could start the whole process asap. I'm planning to ask about MD itself, how it's performed, about an egg donor, costs... What else I should ask? Some help needed here! Girls, hope you're doing fine. Pls share your updates as well! Miss you all, sending baby dust your way!

CarliCarli
posted 1 month 2 weeks ago

Amber said:
Hi girls! I'm back with a little update. The forum is so quiet lately... Don't worry I'm not going to vent! I promise) I haven't moved forward much with the mitochondrial donation. What can I say... Life happens and the last couple of months were really overwhelming. But as we saved some money we're ready for the next step. I'm looking into MD. I fit the treatment perfectly. I'm 40 and I had 3 failed IVF rounds with my eggs. Of course, only Dr can say if I can go for MD... But for now, I'm considering this option. There will be a webinar on 25th of October https://biotexcom.clickmeeting.com/mitochondrial-replacement-therapy I'll definitely ask the professional all I need to know about the treatment so we could start the whole process asap. I'm planning to ask about MD itself, how it's performed, about an egg donor, costs... What else I should ask? Some help needed here! Girls, hope you're doing fine. Pls share your updates as well! Miss you all, sending baby dust your way!

Hi Amber! So glad to see your news! The forum is sleeping... What a pity... It's so nice to see someone is still here. I miss the old days when we could talk every day about TTC and other stuff... I miss those times. Don't be shy and vent if you need to... We are here to support each other. I'm also interested in md. I'm 46 and I had 3 failed ivfs. Thnx for the info, I'll join this webinar. I want to learn more about md as there is no much info to found about it. I'm a little bit confused with the whole three-parent dna thing. We should ask about this for sure. Speaking about my updates, there is not much news I can share... This was a very tough year and we still have 2 months to go... But I hope 2020 will be full of joy and bring us babies!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews