Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

My husband and I can't agree on our baby's name.

wifeyherewifeyhere
posted 3 weeks 5 days ago
My husband and I met through a foreign marriage agency, whose representatives introduced us because they felt we would get along well together. Although we’ve been married for 5 years now, we’ve finally come across an argument that has been ongoing for almost a month now. We found out earlier this year that I was pregnant and following the revelation that we’re going to have a baby boy, we can’t seem to decide on what his name will be.

Personally, I want to name him Jason Arthur from my two favorite DC superhero characters, with Jason also the name of my beloved father who passed away last year. While he wants to name him Chandler Joey from his two favorite characters from a TV series called Friends. I think Chandler is a horrible name to give to a child- not to mention the horrible combination. What do you guys think? Which of us has the better name?

Diana1998Diana1998
posted 5 days 10 hours ago
Hello wifeyhere,
I think you are both right and wrong. The two of you have a right to the child and so everyone feels that they should choose the name. However, this should not be the case. If I quote Shakespeare in Romeo and Juliet, he argues “that which is called the rose by any other name smells sweat”. It means that we should not place great value into the name. There are other important things we should look for in a person and not the name. The name is just a placeholder and does not determine what the child will actually be in life. This is why you should not fight over the name. You need to sit down and agree. The best way to do this is where each one of you can tell the other why you are choosing a certain name and not the other. This should be a free debate and you should agree that however wins carry the day. In fact, I would recommend that the debate should be referred to by a neutral party. He will make a ruling after the discussion. The two of you should agree to go by the ruling. This way, you will eliminate acrimony. Second, I want you to know that this is not the last time you are giving birth. Talk to your husband and allow one person to choose the name of the first born. The other couple should choose the name for the second born. It solves the problem.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews