Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

help

bailybaily
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
i need some advice, since telling my boss that was am pregnante she has barely spoken to me, it's a very small company. i can understand that shes worried as i am the only full-timer, however she has not asked anything about how i'm feeling, about any appointments i have if i am coming back i have not had a risk assesment or anything. Before i told her she said i was due for a pay rise, when i asked her about this after she knew she said no she could'nt afford it. Another member of staff today told me she is on about making people redundant, where do i stand on this. i have been sensing thats shes wants me gone and i'm getting a little worried.

hipmommahipmomma
hi, a friend of mnine went through a similar thing. regardless of reason, an employer can get rid of you if they give their contractual notice. what you can argue against is if they say they are getting rid of you as the job is no longer available, and then they fill your position with someone else. then you could take it to an apeal court for unfair dismissal. thing is, would you want to go back even if you won? she might just be quite if she is worried about what your plans are. if you know yourself it might be worth organising to have a sit and talk through it with her?

alis378alis378
Your boss needs to be very careful here. She already hinted before your told her about your pregnancy that you were due a pay rise and she has already backtracked on that. You have heard from someone else that redundancies might be on the cards, being the only full-timer I would have thought you would have been informed of this, as should all the staff and not heard through gossip. Your boss would have a difficult time arguing that shes not going to dispense of you because you are pregnant. If this does happen, please take it further. YOu could go down the industrial tribunal route.

What you do need to do, is sit down with your boss and clear the air. She has a legal duty to do a risk assessment for your job. What is it you do??

YOu are also entitled to take time off for antenatal appts but for the life of me cant remember if this was paid or unpaid (have a feeling it is paid)

Hope you manage to sort it out and congrats with your pregnancy Kiss
x

GazelleGazelle
Hi Baily,

Sorry to hear about your predicament! Have a look at the link attached, it outlines your rights and her responsibilities:-

http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/employment-leg...ce/page34031.html

Hope that's of some use!

(((big hugs)))

Ellie

xxx

alis378alis378
Well done Ellie, was going to try to hook out a link in a few mins Very happy
x

bailybaily
I'm a shop manager been there just under two years.

alis378alis378
Okay, not sure what sort of shop but in any case you must have a risk assessment done. Try to print off as much as you can from the website and have it ready to take with you if things to turn bad with your employer.

I wish you the very best of luck
x

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews