Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

Sats In year 2

mumof2_jomumof2_jo
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
Had a meeting about DD Sats yesterday, DD is in year 2 and has Dyslexia so finds school really hard im woried that the Sats will knock her confidence even more, as i looked at last years books and there was about 2 questions I think she would be able to do but only is its been read to her Suspect Sad Face

I really dont se the point at age 6 to do Sats as the children are been moinitered the whole year throught any how Suspect and DD teacher said no matter what the results of the satd she will more than likely grade them on her files she has anyhow Suspect

AlexAlex Moderator
Schools are always testing kids- it is too keep an eye on the schools attainment records. I'm sure DD will be fine and her teacher wouldn't put her through if she thought she couldn't do it (teachers don't want fails)

mumof2_jomumof2_jo
She is not going to put her through the English one but wnats her to have a go at the Math one, they dont make it look like its an test so should be ok DD is very sensetive at the moment takes me all my time to get her to go to school Wink she hats it cause she cant do what the other kids do Sad Face its so hard at times

alis378alis378
I think there is a lot less emphasis on them being "tests" in year 2 than they are in year 6. One school my 2nd child went to really put the children under pressre and it was horrible for them - they didnt get any better results though for it.

I am sure your DD will be fine
x

AlexAlex Moderator
Im sure she will be fine hun

Sadly it is a big fact of education now (testing)

pinkfairypinkfairy
grrr sats they drive me mad!!! I work in a school so at the moment the year 6's are getting ready for theirs and my daughter who is a year 6 ( in another school) has hers the week after next. She gets into a real state with sats and when she was in year 2 came out in rashes and was really unhappy. She still finds tests hard, she has the ability but falls apart in the test situation. Her predicted levels are good but her maths is a little lower. Alot of children in her class are having extra tuition which there parents pay for, but I haven't done that as I think it is too much extra pressure on Lily. I really feel for her, but I know that she is a very hard worker and does her very best and that is all I can ask for. I really think it is a very unfair to test someones ability and even worse at year 2 as they are only little. Grrr for sats that's what I say!!! I would reassure your daughter that she doesn't need to worry and these tests are more for the teachers and schools benefit. Good luck!

chezchez
i think its ridicolous having exams in primary schools fair enough they should monitor them but all schools are doing now a days is putting more and more pressure on the poor kids

mitchmitch
i think theresa fine line between testing and monitoring isnt there Suspect
testing at age 6/7 Shocked Crazy
maybe age 8 would be more ok but what do i no lol,

jo eloise is a fine young girl you give her a hug from aunty shell Kiss Smile Love

Mummy5Mummy5

chez said:
i think its ridicolous having exams in primary schools fair enough they should monitor them but all schools are doing now a days is putting more and more pressure on the poor kids

It's not the schools it's the government. I think most teachers of key stage 1 would say they didn't agree with SATS at this age.

I work in a school and at this age we try to play down the fact it is a test.

jade-leighjade-leigh
yeah at the end of the day what do they mean to our kids/or ourselfs at that age it is stupid its all about statistics..........i am defo not gonna make much referance to it next year when my little 1 has to do them let them be .........kids. and have fun learning all i remember from primary was the spelling test i never got them rite so. they will do all the serious stuff when at big school so i not worry too much,,and u shouldn't either i dont do half of the homework they send home an hour a night is XXXXing ridicolas for a 6 yr old

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews