Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

polycystic ovarian syndrome

ellsmithellsmith
posted 10 months 2 weeks ago
Hi guys!! I hope you all will be enjoying best of your health. I am new in this forum and I am very happy to see the collaborative efforts of members for making it very fruitful for those who have complications in their conception, pregnancy and birth. Its good to know that everyone is keen to give helpful suggestions to the needy. I am also here to discuss the matter of my friend. She has been married for about 4 years but she couldn’t get pregnant till yet although she tried every possible method. Now the doctors are saying that she is having PCOS and its very complicated for her to become a mother in future. I am very much worried about her as she is very sensitive lady and her husband is not showing good behavior after knowing her illness. She has been completely shattered. I cannot see her pain and her continuous depression is making my life very disturbing. Some of her relatives are suggesting her for IVF or surrogacy. But according to me, there is no need of surrogacy at this time. She has to wait for the treatment to be accomplished and then take any decision. But she is very confused now and is not getting an appropriate answer. I want you all to give me a good suggestion for her. Thanks.

Hila1996Hila1996
posted 10 months 1 week ago
Hi ellsmith,
I agree with you that your friend should not panic because it is still too early. Normally when people panic, they end up making mistakes that either ruins their lives or make it difficult for them to achieve their goals in life. Therefore approaching issues in stride could be the only way that can help her deal with the problem at hand. PCOS can be managed. In fact, studies show that with proper management, a woman can recover and give birth to as many children as she wants. At this point, I think we should spend much of our time on management. I hope other contributors who have the same idea will support me on this. Let your friend try the following:
Weight reduction
PCOS related hyperandrogenism causes obesity. It results in a waist /hip ratio that is not good and leads to obesity. Obesity results in miscarriage, anovulation and pregnancy complications. 60% of women with PCOS are believed to be obese, so your friend should make a deliberate effort to shed off the excess weight. This will help improve her endocrine profile and will increase her chances of ovulation. Reduction of weight by just 5% is enough to help normalize menstrual cycle. Notice that weight loss is only recommended for women with BMI that is greater than 25-27kg/m2. At this point, I know you are asking how she can be helped to lose weight. Of course, diet, exercises and surgical treatment could be the best options for her. The treatments should be offered during the preconception period.

Diana1998Diana1998
Hi ellsmith,
Thank you for bringing forth your cousins tribulations. I am certain that you will get a way to help her if contributors keep up with the spirit they have shown on this forum. I have read through the post by @Hila1996, and I agree with what he has observed. This has triggered me to make my contribution. I will restrict myself to three things: diet, bariatric surgery, and exercises. Obese PCOS patients are advised to check on what they eat. Foods that are low in calories are the best. They guarantee 5-10% loss of weight which guarantees re-establishment of the ovarian function in patients. According to Reaven, low-fat diet results in a decrease in hyperinsulinemia that improves the metabolic effect.
Exercise
The role of exercises in the treatment of PCOS cannot be ignored. If the diet is unable to help one achieve the weight loss desired to re-establish the ovarian function, the only option they have is exercising. An increase in physical activities can lead to a loss of sufficient amount of weight. You may need to talk to your doctor to suggest the intensity and the frequency of the exercises. Also, you must work hand in hand with a competent trainer to help you select the right exercises you need to help you achieve your desired goal.
Bariatric Surgery
It has been advocated as the best strategy for weight loss. It can also help one achieve spontaneous weight loss. There are many options available: Combined restrictive, restrictive, malabsorptive, adjustable gastric banding, Roux-en Y gastric bypass and adjustable gastric.

jasmin909jasmin909
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. I really appreciate your efforts and concern for your friend. I think your friend should not panic as PCO’s are treatable and there are many women who become pregnant after proper treatment. I would suggest her to take a second opinion, try some other doctor; here chances of getting pregnant are not as low that she needs to look for IVF and surrogacy. I am not saying that no one go for these treatments, but at least at the moment they doesn’t seem appropriate for her. PCO’s are one of the causes of infertility but it’s not like women with PCo’s cannot conceive by normal method. She should take a second opinion first and then look for alternatives.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews