Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

Who is the Favorite Parent?

darkchilddarkchild
posted 4 years 1 month ago
I am a new parent but I have experienced my son cling to me more than his Dad; when he is in pain or in need of something, he runs to me. My husband is constantly jealous and he longs for a new child whom he hopes would prefer him as a parent.

Has anyone experienced this from their children? Who are your children's favorite?

Akiram13Akiram13
I would say my kids prefer me to their dad unless I get mad at them for something then its all about dad. But my kids are closest to me because their dad works abroad and I am a stay at home mom. So I take care of them 24/7.

BarbieDollBarbieDoll
I would say I am the favorite parent too. Maybe it is just that way with moms, we do most everything for them.

I do remember my mom was my favorite when I was very young too, but it most definitely changed to my dad when I started to get a little older.

So maybe it is also a phase in time depending on age.

LvMyFmly5LvMyFmly5
I would say that in my family it depends on my kids. When it comes to my youngest son my husband is the favorite parent. He pretty much lets our youngest son do what he wants as long as he doesn't do anything to hurt himself or anyone else. My youngest use to be so sweet and really loved me now I have seen a change in him that I don't like. He gets real mouthy and disrespectful and it hurts a lot. I hope he outgrows this behavior. I let him know I don't appreciate it and and put him in time out but then I'm the bad guy and my husband makes a joke about it most of the time.

In regards to my daughter and oldest son I would say I am the preferred parent. My husband is a lot harder on them because they are older. Even though they both have disabilities. He in fact is really tough on my oldest son because he is 19 and my husband expects more out of him than I feel he should. My son has some disabilities and my husband should understand that and sometimes it seems like he doesn't even want to take that into consideration. It is definitely a tough situation to be in not only for me but my two older children as well.

purplepen88purplepen88
posted 4 years 2 weeks ago
I would have to say when my boys were little they were definitely mama boys and they clung to me. When they needed comfort they would seek me over their dad. I know this hurt his feelings but he also knew they little ones needed their mommy. As my boys got bigger they started doing more things with their dad and every activity they did together brought them closer together. I would have to say my oldest son is closer to me and I'm probably his favourite parent. He is so much like his father that they but heads more often. My youngest son is closer to his dad and wants to be just like him. I think it must go back and forth. I have no problem not being the favourite or being the favourite. I'm more concerned with my children growing up to be kind and caring.

rz3300rz3300
posted 4 years 6 days ago
This is just one of those issues that comes up but it should not be a big deal but then it is because you think about it, but everyone is different. My mother always said it was not her job to be my friend, and I always carried that attitude with my children as well. Sometimes I was the favorite, sometimes I wasn't...it just kind of depends on the situations I guess.

momsiemomsie
posted 4 years 3 days ago
When my kids were younger, I was their go-to-parent. I won't say favorite but they go to me especially when they were not well. I think most young children are like that. They go to their moms who are usually the nurturers in most families. But now that they're in their teens, my youngest will be 12 this year, they got to their dads for "cool" stuff like gaming, anime, etc. They find me too serious and unaware of these things. They also think I nag too much and get easily annoyed. So I think now, they like dad more than me. But when they're sick, they still favor me which is just fine. I know when they become moms themselves, they will begin to understand me better.

Amelia88Amelia88
posted 4 years 3 days ago
My daughter is only one, but I think that my husband is her favorite. I guess I say that because I'm the stay at home parent who has to be the "rule enforcer" for lack of a better term - and I think that he is mainly just around to do the fun stuff with her, like taking her to the park or the zoo or things like that!

I'm sure it ebbs and flows with time, though!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews