Am i overeacting?

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
posted 6 years 2 weeks ago
I'm not sure if i am going a bit over the top here but this is what happened today. sorry if i go on a bit but will start at the beginning so you all get a proper picture of the whole story.

Yesterday Lolly started getting another cold (snotty nose etc). Jake was fine during the day but at 3am he woke up struggling to breathe because he was all blocked up Ill . Only way we could get him back to sleep was to put him in his bugy as it isn't completely flat so he could breath easier! Anyway, i went to the chemist this morning to get him sone medised or calcold to help with his blocked nose and the pharmacist wouldn't sell me it. Even though it says on the bottle from 3mths. The pharmacist said they have new legislature that says it isn't suitable for under 2's as they haven't done enough testing to no for sure it is safe for under 2's? Well the pharmacist says this new legislature came about 3mths ago. The packaging however still hasn't been changed to show the correct age? My argument was, if i had bought it for Lolly (age 2 1/2) yesterday (because of her cold) she would have sold me it (rightly) but when jake woke up in the night blocked up i would have given it to him too thinking it was safe as it says from 3mths on the bottle? Myself and the pharmacist would have been none the wiser but, potentially, it could have been dangerous? I was livid Evil or Very Mad (not with pharmacist, just whole situation) Surely this should have been recalled and re-labelled? especially after as it has been 3mths since they changed the age? I feel if it had been a food product, ie. something labelled as 'suitable for nut allergy sufferers' or 'suitable for vegetarians' and it was determined it wasn't, they would have removed it from sale immediately and any that had been sold would be recalled? Or they could get sued big time! Am i overreacting on this one? Sorry for the epic length people!!

Join JustParents to remove this advert

orc30orc30
I agree, if they have revised the age rating for the medication then any showing the incorrect age, especially when it excludes certain groups that were previously included, should be removed from sale and relabelled. Otherwise you could get parents buying something for an older child and then on checking the label finding that it was also suitable for the younger child using it for them too. If the change was to expand those included then I could understand not recalling as it will not cause a potential problem.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Thanks Owen, I am pleased someone else thinks this could be a potential problem? I can't believe theat it has been on sale for so long without change!

glowingsunglowingsun
Yep, I agree. It's so stupid how long those companies change their lables or recall things.
If you hadn't heard, there was a huge recall of maple leaf meat products this summer in Canada due to their meats being contaminated with listeriosis. It took the company a month to issue a recall warning. It was far too late. 19 people died and many others got sick. And look at China's dairy recall.
Whoever manages these things isn't really considering the safety of the public. AS IF legislation laws are not manditory.
In America childrens cold medicines are still on the shelf and yet, we are not advised to use them because too many kids are hospitalized from overdosing from added tylenol parents give them at the same time as cold medicines.

eamesy88eamesy88
My blog
me and a friend were talking about this yesterday as she uses it for her little girl but went to get some the other day to be told she coudldn't have if because it wasn't meant for under 5's. they should get this packaging changed and decide the age for it Angry

LihraLihra
is it just a specific brand or is it all of them as i bought tixylix and benelin for my 8mnth old 2weeks ago told them who it was for and they sold it to me. If it is a brand think tixylix is very good and i even take it myself as it works so well obviously i take a higher dose.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
As far as i know all cough medicine is affected and not to be sold to under 2's? and medicine containing decongestants like calcold and medised? I don't think the pharmacists even know exactly what the new legislation is? my friend was told she couldn't have Medised but could have calcold? Her baby is also 8mths? It is so confusing! I am really angry about this, it is senseless!Xx

LihraLihra
it is i think i am going to go back to the pharamcist and reaserch this on the net

LihraLihra
i have searched this and found a link it is not all cough medcines and calcough still has the age on it apparentley due tyo the fact tnhat it is up to the pharamcist or doctors discreation i still believe it should state this on the packaging at the bottom of the link is a list of all medcines that should not be given i have sinced called my HV and she has informed me that, any others i.e tixylix and benelyn for babies is still okay if the medcine is made from glycorel only then it is perfecley safe but everyone suggests that the reason for the worry is that calcough and so on include paracetamol then a parent gives their child calpol causing a possible overdose so my recommendation is that if worried ask the pharmacist what can be given instead or your doctor or HV but as said i have been given all clear for tixylix and at the end of the lin k is a must not use list

cough ,medcine

LihraLihra
i have found another link with the tixylix site explaining the names of their products under 2's can use

tixylix

here is another lin k with evry effected cough mixture

cough

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Thanx hun, i will have a look but the medication i was looking at isn't a cough medicine it is a cold medicine it has paracetamol and a decongestant in it to help them breathe. It is called calcold not calcough? It is like medised which i was also told i couldn't buy. Medised has a ibuprofen base but also contains a decongestant to help them breathe?

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
In the US all cough and cold medicines for under 2 years old were pulled off the shelves over a year ago. As far as I know they were taken off the shelves immediately. Now everything has "ask your physician" for instructions on use for under 6 year olds.

I'd be mad too if I found something on a shelf for kids that was deemed unsafe!

candgsmumcandgsmum
Hun your not over reacting at all.

The new legislation is very confusing Frustrated

daisydaisy
Yes its all medicines like calcold, medised, calpol night etc that babies now have to be 2. BUt if your baby has a cold and can not breath the only thing you can use, is the nasal saline drops, vapour rub on the chest. What is great so you know is the plug in vapour scents they are really strong, ony just found out about them as Harrison has a stinker of a cold.

My friend still uses the calcold as she said she had given it to her son til he was 1, so silly to stop using it now. its the only thing she says that helps him with a cold.

I also had a row with the pharmacist also as the age 3 months was on there.

Hope all is ok now hon

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jessyjessy
posted 5 years 5 months ago
Yeah Exactly,
Today i went to boots to get calcold for my 3yrs girl and the lady coldly was saying sorry we can not sell it for this age, and i said the label says 2 yr+ and my daughter is 3yrs plus, she did not really explain and i was annoyed from her, then when i checked on the net and found out, i did not find anything that says above 2 can not take the medicine, and there is nothing wrong about the medicine the commission of health are just concerned with parents who can overdoes their kids!!!

So then this should be the punishment for the proper parents that care about their kids and give them the right dose!!!
Then why the hell are they still keeping it on the shelf while it will be re labelled, they can remove it totally and make it un available till the companies re label their products according UK legislation. Instead of annoying and confusing the customers!!!

SamuelSamuel
It's because some parents are stupid and were giving medicine without having their doctor weigh their child to find the correct dose.

daisy33daisy33
My blog
it has gone to the age 6 now for calcold, calpol night and medised etc.

These were the only things that helped Harrison with a bad cold. He has suffered so bad this time due to not being able to give it too him Sad

number2cominnumber2comin
Awwww Mandy..... sorry that has happened! I would be absolutely livid!!!!!
Here all things have been pulled from the shelves as Alex said.... and largely because of parents administering it too much and not following by weight etc...
I hope your darling little ones are feeling better soon. Its awful when we have sick littles. Kel is coming down with something now.

number2cominnumber2comin
Awwww Mandy..... sorry that has happened! I would be absolutely livid!!!!!
Here all things have been pulled from the shelves as Alex said.... and largely because of parents administering it too much and not following by weight etc...
I hope your darling little ones are feeling better soon. Its awful when we have sick littles. Kel is coming down with something now.

milkymummilkymum
posted 5 years 2 months ago
OMG How could they do that? You are right if was a food product in question then they would of recalled it. They should have recalled the product straight away when this new legilation came in. Not sure were you are in the world but when my YS gets ill which is quite a lot as he has a low immune system I use snuffle-baby rub on his back, chest and throat and about half an hour before he goes to bed I place a saurce of hot water with 1 drop menthol oil and 2 drops eucoliptus oil and remove it once I have put him in bed. I also give him 5mls infant paracetamol, 2.5ml infant ibrufen and 5ml's medinol cough syrup for babies as it also helps with colds. It was my HV that told me to do this and the medinol can be given every 2 hours if they need it duein gth eday but I only giv emedication if he seems in pain or ditress because fo the virus

Forum search

Latest Reviews