Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Breastfeeding advice and tips

MelissavdW27MelissavdW27
posted 1 year 5 months ago
Breastfeeding in total is such a euphoric experience for me. I can talk and talk and talk about it for a long time. I like to give advice to friends and family that's having a hard time. My advice for any BF mommy is to push through, especially if you are having a hard time. What advice, tips and tricks do you have for BF moms out there?

Join JustParents to remove this advert

MelissavdW27MelissavdW27
Tip to heal cracked nipples:
With my second baby, I had really bad cracked and bleeding nipples. I tried many different things to ease the pain and to heal them. The thing that worked the best for me was applying Bepanthen to my nipples after each feeding. Just remember to wipe it off before the next feeding.

BarbieDollBarbieDoll
I think your advice to just push through it is good, that is how I made it a year. First I just wanted to make 6 months, then I tried to go one more, etc., until finally my son weaned himself at one year.

Also there were some disposable absorbent breast pads I used which were essential, they stopped any leaks showing through my clothes.

I also remember I was told it was best to alternate breasts each feeding, completely empty one then do the next at the next feeding. This is supposed to allow the baby to get to the deep bottom milk which has the most nutrients, as the first top milk is more watery.

And finally my advice if you are trying to wean is to introduce formula (I know, I know) and then move to regular milk.

MelissavdW27MelissavdW27

BarbieDoll said:
I think your advice to just push through it is good, that is how I made it a year. First I just wanted to make 6 months, then I tried to go one more, etc., until finally my son weaned himself at one year.

Also there were some disposable absorbent breast pads I used which were essential, they stopped any leaks showing through my clothes.

I also remember I was told it was best to alternate breasts each feeding, completely empty one then do the next at the next feeding. This is supposed to allow the baby to get to the deep bottom milk which has the most nutrients, as the first top milk is more watery.

And finally my advice if you are trying to wean is to introduce formula (I know, I know) and then move to regular milk.
Great advice! My friend actually did introduce some formula when she started weaning her baby. I think this will make them get used to the taste before going on formula completely. And I agree with your method of alternating breasts with each feeding, that does mean that I usually am lopsided, but I'm kind of used to that now. But early in the mornings, I will feed the baby with one breast and pump out the other breast and completely empty the breast she was drinking on. I have been blessed with a child that started sleeping through the night at n very early age, so now I go to bed with a C cup and wake up with a DD cup. I have to pump as well, otherwise, it's just too painful!

missiemousemissiemouse
posted 1 year 4 months ago
I like that advice, I think it's important for mommies out there to know that the first few days and weeks are the hardest. But eventually, you will get through it and it will be easier.

Anyway, here are some other advices I can give:

• Research online about breastfeeding before you give birth. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to do this. It was only while I was breastfeeding that I researched and knew about the benefits of it. Plus, you will get to know lots of important information online about breastfeeding and how to do it properly.
  • Don't listen to other people. You know what's best for your baby. As long as you want to breastfeed, do it. It's free, it's nutritious and it creates a bond for you and your baby.
  • There are supplements to increase your milk supply. There's fenugreek and moringa capsules. Then, there's oatmeal which can boost your supply as well. There are also lactation cookies that you can buy.
  • Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Drink lots of water to replenish your fluids in the body.
  • You need extra calories during the first few weeks. I think about 1800-2000 calories are needed to maintain an abundant milk supply.

Good luck, mommies!

marissapaulmarissapaul
posted 1 year 3 weeks ago
Myths For Breastfeeding

Well, this is not true. Breastfeeding is not uncommon. If you have not seen any woman who is breastfeeding, it does not mean that women do not breastfeed. Breastfeeding is quite common.

Breastfeeding will cause sagging of my breasts

The fact behind this myth is that there are two reasons, which can cause the sagging of the breast. Aging results in the stretching of the breast tissue and hence, sagging of the breast. Weight gain can be the other reason as the extra weight is distributed all over the body, and a lot of excess weight can be stored over. Its a true fact that there is nothing is as good for babies as the breast milk. It is pure and has all the nutrients, which a baby needs to build a healthy immune system. Although, the formula has all the nutrients, but still it cannot beat the benefits of breast milk.

I do not have enough milk

Many new mothers believe that they are not producing enough milk for the baby and switch to the formula. It can be the case in the starting as the body needs time to adapt to the changes but after some time, you will get enough milk for the baby, unless there is any medical problem or infection.

Women cannot have sex while breastfeeding

Some women believe that they cannot have a sex life if they breastfeed. This is not true. It depends on the individual, that how comfortable she is while having sex after the delivery. Breastfeeding has nothing to do with it. There can be other numbers of reasons behind that. Try to figure out the one for you.

I cannot breastfeed, I have to go to work

Well, now you have the solution for this reason as well. There are various types of pumps available in the market, which you can use to pump the milk for your baby. Some companies also allow the nursing breaks or a separate lactation room. Just go and talk to your employer in detail

lizedmonds1lizedmonds1
posted 2 months 1 week ago
When I had my first baby I had no problems breastfeeding because I was in a new village and I knew very few people so I was home alone when my husband went off to work with my newborn. When my baby cried after about 2-3 hours I feed him as my Father was a doctor and this is what he told me to do. 'Feed him when he cries'. He was a very contented baby and seemed satisfied and he eventually settled himself into a regular feeding routine.
When my second baby was born I needed to wake her up to feed her as she would sleep sometimes during the day for 5-6 hours once she was approximately three weeks old and then be up all night wanting to feed. Once I starting waking her every 3 hours after the early morning feed she settled into feeding every 3-4 hours and slept longer hours at night.
I can recommend a book on breastfeeding advertised on babyconfused.com by Clare Byam-Cooke.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews