Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Buying Toys for Your Kids

purplepen88purplepen88
posted 1 year 8 months ago
Do you find you spend money on buying a few quality toys that will last or more inexpensive toys? I used to buy a few toys from the Dollar Store for my kids but then it just seemed like a waste of money when they break after a few days. Now I rather look for quality toys on sale and buy toys that are better made and will last longer. What kind of toys do you buy?

Join JustParents to remove this advert

BarbieDollBarbieDoll
posted 1 year 7 months ago
I have bought the majority of our toys from consignment sales. After I bought one or two full price toys, and watched them be played with for 5 minutes and never touched again, I said forget this. I have bought boxes and boxes full of used toys from sales and they amuse everyone just fine! And the best thing is, I have spoiled my children so much in this respect, that I believe they feel they have "enough", and never pester me for things. When we go shopping in a real toy store they will look at and play gently with the toys there, but never whine about wanting to take one home. Maybe I am just lucky. But I do feel the 'excess" I provided though consignment sales has made them feel they are more in a position to give away toys, rather than gather more.

darkchilddarkchild
posted 1 year 6 months ago
I buy both quality and inexpensive toys for my son. Though the quality ones last like for ever; the inexpensive ones I call 'experimental samples' usually break on the first day of purchase. A child has got to have them both to fill up the collection. Over time, we get to edit his collection and send the broken ones into the trash.

kaka135kaka135
I used to buy some good quality toys that were on sales for my first child. When he was about two years old, I learned to knit and crochet, since then I rarely buy any toys for my children, as I just knit or crochet toys for them.

I did buy blocks, a few wooden toys and puzzles for them, as I couldn't make them up with yarns. My friends have also handed down some toys for my children, most are good quality, hence they can be kept for long time.

morgoodiemorgoodie
I try not to buy toys anymore for my kids as they are getting to the point where they just do not play with them. They are getting to the age where they want more expensive electronics, but my daughter does like Legos. I used to buy toys from yard sales or mom to mom sales that are held through the spring. You can find some really good deals and usually buy some of the bigger toys for a lot cheaper. Buying toys from the dollar store is definitely a waste of money since it is broken within 5 minutes of bringing it home.

Amelia88Amelia88
I try and get things that are sturdy and will last, but also things that will grow with my child. I think all of us know the feeling when one of our kids will play with something non stop but then a week later doesn't care about it at all! So things that are versatile and can be used over a longer span of time tend to be the things I gravitate towards purchasing.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews