Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Judging others Parenting Skills

darkchilddarkchild
posted 1 year 3 months ago
Have you done something unique while parenting that others see it and judge you wrongly for it?
As a new mother, three years ago, I would place my baby in his rocker and place him in front of cartoons playing on the TV while I cleaned the house. My sister in-law condemned my parenting skills and scared me that my child would become a TV addict.
Anyone received any parental criticism?

Join JustParents to remove this advert

Amelia88Amelia88
Yes...I found that judgement came often - and probably still does, but I've turned my back to it a bit! I got asked by my MIL when my baby was 6 weeks old if she was on a "routine" yet. I was like "hold up..she's 6 weeks old!!" and she gave me all kinds of grief because she didn't have a rock solid nap time every day. Also she would critique the way we dressed our child, that she would catch a chill even though our heat was always on inside! Bleh!

The way I look at it now is that every parent does things differently. As long as you know someone is acting in the best interests of their kiddo then I say it's 100% fine if they're not doing the same thing as you! Parenting is a hard gig and I think everyone needs to be more supportive of one another!

mamaJenmamaJen
Someone is always going to have something to say. We have to remember that we are not instructed how to be a parent. We do our best and make decisions that we think are appropriate for our children. No one is perfect, and every parent is learning. I don't care who you are or how long you have been a parent. everyone is different, including children. Whats right for one parent may not seem right to another, and that's okay because none of us really know what we are doing. All children are T.V. addicts LOL. You have done nothing wrong. You need time to get your work done to, and the baby needs time to his/her self as well. Your doing great, do't let anyone tell you different. Your the mom and you can let your baby watch stimulating shows for children if you want to.

Amelia88Amelia88

mamaJen said:
Someone is always going to have something to say. We have to remember that we are not instructed how to be a parent. We do our best and make decisions that we think are appropriate for our children. No one is perfect, and every parent is learning. I don't care who you are or how long you have been a parent. everyone is different, including children. Whats right for one parent may not seem right to another, and that's okay because none of us really know what we are doing. All children are T.V. addicts LOL. You have done nothing wrong. You need time to get your work done to, and the baby needs time to his/her self as well. Your doing great, do't let anyone tell you different. Your the mom and you can let your baby watch stimulating shows for children if you want to.

Loved what you said about the fact we are all learning, no matter how old we are or how old our kids are! I saw one of my friends not long after I had my daughter - she has 4 children, the eldest is 11. I confided in her that I had days where I felt like I didn't know what I was doing, and she said to me "I feel like that every day - I've never had an 11 year old to know how to parent him, I'm learning as I go!" and they were some of the most refreshing words I had heard!

morgoodiemorgoodie
posted 1 year 2 months ago
No matter what you do, there is going to be that one person who can find no right with it. People are always going to think they have the best parenting skills and are going to try to impart them onto you. You have two choices. You can listen with half an ear and just thanks and move on or you can take their advice if you think it will work for you. I see nothing wrong with putting your baby in front of the TV when you want to get some housework done. You have to do what you have to do. As long as you love your child with all your heart and are only looking out for their best interest to the best of your abilities then no one can say you are doing something wrong.

missiemousemissiemouse
I used to care what other people say about my parenting skills. Like back when my MIL was here, whatever she says I follow because I figured, she's older and has more experience than me. The truth is, you're the parent and you know what's best for your child. Although I respect each parent's parenting skill, I do have my own and I won't let anyone tell me otherwise about it.

With regards to television watching, I used to be against it as well. But you know what? I get it. How can we finish all other chores if we don't distract our child? Anyway, if it's only a few minutes a day, I don't think it would do so much harm. I'd rather let him watch a few minutes of television than have him without lunch or with such a filthy house.

kaka135kaka135
I get that all the time since I have my first child 7 years ago, and I still get that often now.

I suppose the way I want to bring up my children might be slightly different from the norm here, but I know what I am doing and I think I am doing it right, so I just ignore what others said and continue my way.

I have learned from my life, no matter what we do, there will surely be some comments from others. So, we just have to know what we want, and do what fits us and our family. Every child is so unique, even an "experienced" mom shouldn't tell you how you should parent your child. You are your child's mother, you know the best.

Moreover, we are always on the journey of learning to be a mother. There are different challenges for different child, at different stages as well, we just have to keep learning and growing together with that particular child.

I always just smile at others' judgment or critics, if I need to, I'll just tell this is how my husband and I choose to parent our children, and continue to walk my way. I have got too many negative comments or disagreements, so I just can't bother with them.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews