Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Breastfeeding past the age of 12 months.

thash1979thash1979
posted 1 year 3 months ago
I am a mother of three and each one of my children have been breast-fed. My last two however, I decided to nurse them past the age of 12 months. My son I stopped when he was 22 months. And my daughter I just stopped this past July and she was 27 months. My mother-in-law completely degraded me as a mother for nursing them for so long. She swears that I have messed them up for life. Now, keep in mind, my children have to this day never been sick to where they needed antibiotics. There has been no emergency visits to the family doctor either. Do you think I was wrong for nursing them that long?

Join JustParents to remove this advert

MortedMorted
Next time your mother-in-law makes a rude comment, tell her that the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding until an infant is two years old. Our Western society's aversion to breastfeeding is not common in the rest of the world. You did not ruin your children. In fact, you gave them a better start, and the fact that you breastfeed so long is probably why your children have good health.

Amelia88Amelia88
That's sad that your MIL made you feel like that! I think a lot of the time mother in laws and daughter in laws have a tense relationship because often they think their way is the right and only way. To me, I say if breastfeeding is working for you and your children for that length of time then that's fabulous! They sound like the picture of health, and that's such a wonderful thing!

thash1979thash1979
I agree, I thought I was doing the best for my two little ones by nursing them that long. It prevented a lot of illnesses that I am sure they would have gotten if they weren't getting such good nutrition. My mother in law is very judge mental, saying I basically needed to do things the way she did. It was so hard going to her house and leaving the room to nurse, while she sat and criticized me to everyone about how I was still nursing. It was something that we will never see eye to eye on. I just know I was doing what I needed to as a mother, and that is all that should matter!

darkchilddarkchild
You did the right thing and I commend you for the strength you had. I did not realize how important breast feeding was until my son was down with a viral infection. The doctor kept emphasizing I should have breast fed him longer but I was stressed and tired.
I intend to breast feed my next child longer than the last one.

KCWoodenKCWooden
posted 1 year 2 months ago
I think people get confused because you're supposed to stop bottle feeding at 1 yr, but the only reason for that is because the nipple and formula can create dental problems. This isn't something you need to worry about with breast feeding. They also urge parents to give children whole milk until the age of 2 or 3- something else you don't have to worry about if you're breast feeding. Do what you feel is best for you and your kids, everyone else can stuff it Wink

TyronmartTyronmart
posted 7 months 1 week ago
My name is Tyron from UK my girlfriend and i have been together for over 6 years now in the last few weeks i have been having problems with her, I do love this woman a lot and do want to get married to her but at times i did feel a little confused about this and has wondered if she has been true to the relationship... Until a day I came home late because I went out with my friends (co-workers) and when I got home she was really mad at me because she taught I went out with some ladies so she left my home and promised never to get back, I really felt bad but I kept it to myself and did not share with anyone. And she went back to her long time ex lover stating that he is better and more sincere than me. While I was online on Facebook I saw testimony of a great spell caster Dr.OGBE so I contacted his email (theangelsofsolution@gmail.com) and explained all to him who told me even if she is with that other lover after the spell she will get back to me I believed his words three days later my lover called me and she said she wants to come back to me now she realize that am a honest man and she judge me wrong so I accepted her back and now we are living happily I proposed to her, we are doing great and fine thanks to the great spell caster Dr.Ogbe located in Kenya and his power is unique you can contact him on his email (theangelsofsolution@gmail.com)..

tammietammie
posted 4 months 1 week ago
Hey there,
first off all it is your decision and not your mother in law's. I know lot's of mothers who breastfeed longer then just 12 months. It is very good for the babies actually and also very comfortable when you are outside and you don't need to worry about brining formula etc. For me breastfeeding was not an opportunity any more after I had to start working again. For sure I still did when it was possible but also my husband and I did have to give formula to our baby. We did use Hipp organic formula (https://myorganicformula.com/collections/hipp-organic-formula) because after some research and talks to friends and the paediatrician this was our babies best fit.
If and how long you are breastfeeding is not always a decision you can make! Sometimes as a mother you don't have enough milk so you need to add some formula to a diet as your baby needs to get enough food. Sometimes you just need to get back to work so you can earn you living. Or you want to get back to work. Every case is totally different and others have to respect the way you have to or the way you are choosing. Especially with mothers in law it can get quite tricky in general - they just "know" whats best Wink okay sometimes they do, but they also have to take a step back and let your family find your way!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews