Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Hospital Bag Essentials

Amelia88Amelia88
posted 1 year 6 months ago
I was terrible in that I didn't have a hospital bag organised and packed before I went into labour, so it was a bit of a last minute scramble for me - but looking back on it I think I would make sure I had the following things for me:

Comfy clothes - yoga pants and things like that! Also don't pack your pre-pregnancy size things as your tummy won't go down immediately (it would be nice if it did, though!)
Toiletries - shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lip balm moisturizer - nice smelling stuff, because afterwards I just wanted to feel clean and refreshed!
Plenty of maxi pads - my hospital provided some but it was handy having my own too.
Chargers for all your electronics - you don't want to have your phone battery die as you're snapping pics of your new family member or in the middle of texting/calling loved ones!
Glasses/contact lenses - I left my glasses at home and hubby had to go back for them! Oops!
Book/magazine - if you're in labour a while and have an epidural, you might want something to read so that you're not just watching time tick by!

I'm sure there's more but those were the ones that immediately came to mind!

What about you? Anything I've forgotten? (I'm sure I have forgotten lots - but that's the power of having many of us here to contribute!)

Join JustParents to remove this advert

thash1979thash1979
I seemed to have everything I needed for the little one ready to go with no problems. But everything I needed for myself, I spaced out on. I would say make a check list first with all the basics. The hospitals here in the US do a good job of getting you something that you may have forgot to pack, but I still always like to have my own. So pack that toothbrush, paste, shampoo, body wash and your puff! Also, I found not having a robe or slippers was terrible. I had a lot of people in and out of my room visiting the new little one, and most times I was not dressed decently because I had been nursing. A nice robe will do you wonders. Also, don't be afraid to pack an extra blanket. Those overnight stays in a drafty hospital are cold. I also made sure I had phone charger and beauty products. With tons of pictures being taken after the birth, I wanted to make sure I could atleast put on some face cream.

Amelia88Amelia88

thash1979 said:
I seemed to have everything I needed for the little one ready to go with no problems. But everything I needed for myself, I spaced out on. I would say make a check list first with all the basics. The hospitals here in the US do a good job of getting you something that you may have forgot to pack, but I still always like to have my own. So pack that toothbrush, paste, shampoo, body wash and your puff! Also, I found not having a robe or slippers was terrible. I had a lot of people in and out of my room visiting the new little one, and most times I was not dressed decently because I had been nursing. A nice robe will do you wonders. Also, don't be afraid to pack an extra blanket. Those overnight stays in a drafty hospital are cold. I also made sure I had phone charger and beauty products. With tons of pictures being taken after the birth, I wanted to make sure I could atleast put on some face cream.
Good point about the beauty products! I found that even putting on some tinted moisturizer and a little mascara made me feel much more like myself after birth - and that made me feel good, you know? Smile

BarbieDollBarbieDoll
I can barely remember what I packed in my bag, but I just remember that I didn't need any of it. What I really needed was comfy clothes to go home in, shampoo and conditioner, and an outfit, banket, and car seat for the baby. Everything else was superficial to me because I was just swept up in the daze of having a new life next to me. It was one of the most amazing few days of my life

darkchilddarkchild
posted 1 year 5 months ago
I actually had my bag and the baby's packed when I turned six months; apart from the fact that I was super excited, I did not want the nurses to judge me as unready. It was fun actually packing up for delivery; it made me feel like I was ready for a huge task.

Packing for the next baby would not have as much excitement as the first did; I would just be more experienced because I forgot to pack a few items and only discovered on the night of delivery.

Akiram13Akiram13
I have always been a forgetful person, so by the 6 month of my pregnancy's I had my bag ready to go. I always had it in an organized manner and believe I'd always do a recheck of my bag to make sure I wouldn't forget anything needed. I'd put baby's clothes for when she first comes out in a separate plastic bag to give to the nurses. My clothes and hygiene needs had there own bag. Everything is labeled. Maybe might have over done it but I was always prepared.

kaka135kaka135
Thank you for sharing your hospital bag essential list. I was just thinking about this yesterday, as there are two more months for me to go, I really need to get ready with this.

Though this is my third baby, I totally forgot what I prepared for my first two children. I am also a forgetful person, and I remember asking my husband to go home and pack something for me. I will start writing a checklist, and start to pack soon. I'd definitely love to bring some books with me, in case I am bored in the ward.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews