Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

How do you save on childrens' clothes?

purplepen88purplepen88
posted 1 year 7 months ago
I have discovered that stores like The Children's Place will put their winter clothes on sale on Boxing Day. The entire store is 40% off so every Boxing Day I go and buy the next size tops and bottoms for my son. Then I come home and store it in a bin until next fall. It has worked out great. My son gets brand new clothes at half the price. I've been to able to save a lot doing this. Any other suggestions how to save on kids' clothes?

Join JustParents to remove this advert

MariposaMariposa
That's a great idea! Okay, what I'd LIKE to say is that I sew my daughter's clothes, but that would totally put me into a fit of giggles because I hate sewing so much! I did try when she was a toddler and the outfits turned out really cute, but didn't really save much at all.

What I like doing is going to yard sales for clothing. I'm picky, so it needs to be "gently worn" or not worn at all with absolutely no signs of being second-hand. I'm always surprised at the new and nearly new things I can find that way for sometimes as little as fifty cents.

morgoodiemorgoodie
I have saved on children's clothing by going to thrift stores. You would be amazed at how many things you can find that are hardly worn or even brand new. If you look really good, you can find some big name brand clothing for next to nothing. I found a lot of my children's uniforms for school at a thrift store for practically nothing. And I'm sure others can attest to how much school uniforms can be brand new.
I have also read about parents getting together with other parents to do clothing swaps. I wish I was able to do that where I live but I do not know enough people who have children that would be able to either fit my children's clothes or the other way around.

MariposaMariposa
I have heard of clothing swaps, too, but never experienced one. It mustn't be very popular in my area but I know I'd enjoy it. I used to have a friend who "swapped" clothing that her daughter couldn't use that someone else gave her that *their* daughter had grown out of, but by the time it got to us, it was a mighty poor selection, so I was glad when it stopped.

Thrift stores... another great idea if they have any standards. Some do and some don't... there are two in my area. One is quite particular about what they'll sell, but the other puts anything at all out for sale, and some of it is *way* nasty.

At the "good" one I can find brand name clothing that barely looks worn at all... but the other place has things that I would have tossed 15 years ago. hehe Funny but true!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews