Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

How long did it take?

Laurelbell85Laurelbell85
posted 1 year 5 months ago
So I am new. I am trying for baby #2. Actually, we have been trying for almost 2 years to have another. For some reason it's not happening. How long did everyone try before they finally got pregnant? My first, she was not planned, but her daddy and I were together 6 years before she was conceived. We never used protection or tried to prevent it. How long should I wait before I talk to a fertility doctor? I am only 30, so I should still be able to have a baby. I am so discouraged. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Join JustParents to remove this advert

MariposaMariposa
Hi... and welcome to the forum! You may want to check the answers in a post I did a few days ago called "How Long Did You Wait?" It's this same question that I asked and there are some answers there.

Laurelbell85Laurelbell85
I did take a look there, but I didn't find anything about how long I should try before seeing a professional. My fiance has 2 boys and the our daughter. I don't know if at this point the issue is me or him :/

MariposaMariposa
Well in that case.... I think the answer varies among people. I know a couple who wanted to rush to a fertility doctor when it didn't happen in 6 months. Personally I don't think 6 months is long enough because it often takes at least that long.

Unless there are factors like age concerned, I'd think that waiting for a year wouldn't be unreasonable. Good luck with adding to your family!

Laurelbell85Laurelbell85
So being we have been trying for almost 2 years, it may be in my best interest to see a doctor. I'm only 30 (about to be 31) and my fiance is 32. It's just discouraging. Thank you Smile

Amelia88Amelia88
From everything I have read they say after 12 months of not getting a positive test after trying to see your GP. We tried for 3 months to have our little one and I am in my late 20's.

rz3300rz3300
Two years seems a little long, but I am no medical expert or anything close to it. When we were having our second child we were trying for about two months when we started to get worried and our doctor laughed and said it was completely normal. It then took about another month but we finally were about to breathe that sigh of relief. I would just have to say consult your doctor again and again.

MariposaMariposa

Laurelbell85 said:
So being we have been trying for almost 2 years, it may be in my best interest to see a doctor. I'm only 30 (about to be 31) and my fiance is 32. It's just discouraging. Thank you Smile
Since you're feeling discouraged about it, it would certainly put your mind at ease to see a doctor, yes. If you're fine with waiting longer, that's okay, too.

Personally although I can't recall exactly how long we waited to see a doctor, I'd think that at this point, a year would probably be my limit.

Do either of you have other children that would indicate that it's not an infertility issue that would need to be diagnosed?

Laurelbell85Laurelbell85

Mariposa said:

Laurelbell85 said:
Since you're feeling discouraged about it, it would certainly put your mind at ease to see a doctor, yes. If you're fine with waiting longer, that's okay, too.

Personally although I can't recall exactly how long we waited to see a doctor, I'd think that at this point, a year would probably be my limit.

Do either of you have other children that would indicate that it's not an infertility issue that would need to be diagnosed?
We have 1 daughter together and he has 2 sons. There is a 7 year difference between his youngest son and our daughter. I want to say the problem is with me, but I can't be too sure. I was in the emergency room not too long ago for severe sciatic nerve pain and they checked my blood and everything. Put me at about "half way" through my "peak" so to speak. I asked the doctor if there should be any reason I would have a problem getting pregnant and he just laughed at me and told me that since I'm 30, I shouldn't have any problem. He did state that my uterus was "high" so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

My family tells me to "stop trying" and then that is when it will actually happen, but I just don't know how true that is. I haven't ever really checked my temperature or anything of that nature. I don't understand half that stuff.

Have any of you heard about taking prenatal vitamins to help with getting pregnant? I have been told by a couple people that that's how they got pregnant after waiting so long to have another child.

sue0000sue0000
posted 11 months 4 weeks ago
hi.... we have 2 children and are currently trying for our third. baby no1 i concieved at 17 and it took 3 months.... baby no2 was the same and we have now been trying for 4 months for baby no3 and i am now 29.
all of our babbinos were planned... here hoping for a bfp this month. good luck x

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews