Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Breast feeding in public...

jeajea
posted 5 years 11 months ago
- My blog
Hi all

I have quite a while to go yet before I get to this stage, but it is good to know my rights (and that of my baby). I have read the info available on the internet, but still a bit confused.

If the scenario ever happens and you are asked to stop or move on, what exactly should a breast feeding mother do? For eg. A woman goes out shopping the day and stops at a cafe in a department store for lunch with a friend. As she breastfeeds her baby she is approached by a member of staff she is asked to move to the babychange area or stop. The member of staff is persistant and draws attention to the feeding. What should you say? Should you just say they are breaking the law and carry on? Can you ask them to leave you alone? Just wondering how I would react if it did happen to me as when you are put on the spot its difficult and I would rather be prepared. I think I will also print out the legislation and have it in the changing bag at all time. As I say I have a lot of time yet to find out about these things.

Join JustParents to remove this advert

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 5 years 9 months ago
They can't make you stop breast feeding, the problem is more likely to be that you would feel uncomfortable in such a situation and maybe think you have to leave to avoid confrontation. Obviously if they are willing to offer you a comfortable and clean place with a nice chair etc it may not seem as bad, but still you don't HAVE to stop and you certainly don't have to go into a dirty smelly old toilet!

textchxtextchx
posted 4 years 6 months ago
Hi there,

Breastfeeding in public is not an issue these days. I would appreciate moms who were proud enough to show off their bumps and breastfeed their babies. In fact, I get disappointed seeing moms who uses milk formulas and bottle-feed their babies.

Here are some points to ponder on:
Cow's milk for your little angel?
What's the purpose of your breast?
Antibodies - Do you care about your child's immunity?

There are a lot and more thoughts to think about between milk formulas and breast milk. However, breast feeding your child is the essence of being a mother. There is beauty in the way how a mother looks at her child as the baby latches on her breast. The beauty that no one can ever describe. It's a picture of love and wonderful blessing.

jisoojisoo
posted 7 months 3 weeks ago
I would politely tell them that there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public. A baby is eating, what is wrong with that? You don't eat under a blanket, you don't eat in a toilet cubicle, you don't eat only at home.

LenoreHaighLenoreHaigh
posted 5 months 2 weeks ago
I'd still breastfeed in public well, I will just have it covered. It's my baby's right to be fed on time. I don't care what other people think.

MMartellMMartell
posted 3 months 1 week ago
Breastfeed if you must, just use a coverup to avoid your breast from getting exposed. I don't think you should conform with people who are not comfortable with women breastfeeding on public it's your right as a mother to give your baby the nutrition he or she needs.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews