Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Buying and selling second hand kids clothes

BensmumBensmum
posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hi there

I'm setting up a new second hand children's clothes website, very different in look and feel to ebay and to what already exists out there. I'd be really interested to know other mums' thoughts on listing prices on these types of sites. I find the idea of being charged, or indeed charging commission on my child's clothes really offputting. I would like my listings to be priced competitively but most of all, be simple and transparent. My question is, would you find it more appealing to pay a small (under a £1) amount per listing or to sign up for a membership where for a fee each month (under £8) you can list as many items as you want. I suppose it all depends on how many things people want to list in a month but the rate my littel boy's growing, I woudl easily be putting about ten items up a month (from my 6 year backlog of boy's clothes!)

Any help, insight and advice much appreciated!

Mxx

Join JustParents to remove this advert

GTTkelGTTkel
I would say do both. If someone only wants to advertise a couple of things say £1, but give a discounted rate or set rate for anyone selling 10 items or more (or along those lines anyway).

BensmumBensmum
Hi Rob

Thanks for your suggestion. I suppose I would want people to use the site regularly and feel that it's not a complicated chore, the way ebay can be so I'm thinking that a straight £1 per listing would seem fair. I suppose the downside of a membership is that businesses could sell bulkloads of clothes through this site very cheaply for say, £5 a month, which wouldn't see fair!

Thoughts much appreciated!

hariettehariette
I will go for both options since one option may not work for others.

BensmumBensmum
Thanks everyone for suggestions. I've decided to go with free listings and a straight 10% commission, which seems very reasonable. It's more important to me to build up a loyal following of people who trust an duse the site and feel like they're getting good value.

How does that sound!

Thanks.

Shree1990Shree1990
posted 4 weeks 21 hours ago
That is a very good idea, you should do both.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews