Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Told gender at 12 week scan

KarenMKarenM
posted 7 years 2 months ago
I had my 12 week scan last week and my hubby asked if you could tell what it was. The sonographer had a look and said 65% boy. This surprised me as I didn't think you could find out this early so I came home and did some research on the internet and found the "nub theory". Without mentioning this to hubby I asked him if he thought a certain bit was vertical or horizontal to which I got a resounding horizontal. This contradicts what we were told and looking closely at my scan picture I can see 3 lines - although one is slightly longer than the other - which also seems to indicate girl altho' am not 100% sure if I am looking in the right place. My "gut" feeling is girl and my "gut" was right with my little boy. I just think 65% isn't a big enough percentage and I don't want to get excited about another little boy in case it's wrong. Just wondered if anyone else had been given the wrong gender so early on? Confused

Join JustParents to remove this advert

GTTkelGTTkel
I'm surprised she told you if she was only 65% sure! They normally want to be pretty certain before indicating and as it was just 12 weeks probably should have waited to give you a clearer answer at your later scan. I was told with my middle child at the 12 week scan that we were having a boy and this was right, but with my first child I had to have several scans and at 15 weeks I was told it was a boy only to go back at 20 weeks and have someone else tell me that was wrong and I was having a girl and yes I had already been out and bought clothes!! I would say don't rely totally on it at this point, wait until your next scan.

candgsmumcandgsmum
I think it possible to know, I'm sure I know of someone who found out at their 12 week. I would just hang on until your 20 week when they can be more certain x

shortie2shortie2
Up here the forth valley nhs (central scotland) wont tell you what your having wither or no you ask. I believe its because they've got it wrong so many times.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
posted 7 years 1 month ago
Yeah i personally would just pretend you haven't heard and start again at your 20wk scan. They weren't sure so there is no point taking it as red that it is a boy! Hopefully things will be clearer at the next scan for you Xx

bunnigirlbunnigirl
posted 7 years 1 month ago
i he always been told u cant tell untill at least 17 weeks LOL but they wont tell u before 20 here x

ceciliab01ceciliab01
posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
I wouldn't rely too heavily on that assessment at such an early stage.

mom101mom101
posted 6 years 3 months ago
I believe the earliest time possible to determine the gender is 16 weeks.

jeajea
posted 6 years 3 months ago
- My blog
Hi all

I live in Yorkshire and dont want to know when I go for my scan in 2 weeks. I just want to know that everything is ok. Will they automatically tell us or ask if we want to know the sex of the baby? Personally, I don't want to know so I don't want them to blurt it out! I like surprises, and my husband is happy to go along with that. I have no idea what to expect this time around, so much has changed. Thanks all.

sugarsugar Moderator
posted 6 years 2 months ago
hi - u'll only be told ur babies gender if u ask and if the mother wants to know. they will not tell you otherwise and some areas refuse to give genders for many reasons x

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews