Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Need advice on starting an internet business?

milkymummilkymum
posted 8 years 4 weeks ago
I have problems finding toys that my children like playing with and my main problem is my daughter, she is care-bear mad. I have to buy them on ebay and I'm getting fed-up woith this so I have decided to look about on line for suppliers to start a business selling toys that are hard to find in the UK. So far I have found a supplier but they are in america. I have got to import things like care-bears, fraggle rock and seseme street. I have done a questionaires at my local play-groups and children centres and these are 3 of the toys that kept poppin gup more than anything else. How do I go about getting web-space and is it worth getting paypal on the site as well. And can you please give me more ideas I would like to try and find things that seem hard to find toys wise but I do plan on having sections for maternity, baby eqipment and clothing especially for premature babies as they are so hard to find clothing for.

Join JustParents to remove this advert

orc30orc30
There are plenty of internet providers out there to sell you web space and provide free software to setup the site. They can also provide a domain name and secure shopping facilities. Paypal is probably a good idea as it offers buyer and seller protection plus means that you don't have to handle credit card payments which opens you up to a lot of legal requirements.

I used 1&1 Internet for a website that I produced for a charity cycle ride last year, but if you are not technically up to the challenge of creating one then there are plenty of people out there that you can pay for this sort of thing. If you want it done cheaper then it may be worth talking to a local college to see if any of their students would create the site for you in exchange for being a reference when they start looking for work.

milkymummilkymum
Thank you owen. My hubbie used to have a website fo rhis business before he liquidated it as it started costing us and that was the agreement we made when he took the business on from his friend he had been working with for years and I helped him with the website. I already have started buildign the site and have it stored on an external hard-drive so all Ineed to do know is get th espace it is that bit that I'm confused about and have no idea. Hubbie is also looking for web-space as well but his is so gig, album and band reviews which is going to start off as a none-profitable adventure. Inever thought starting a business would be this hard but it is. I have been rejected by 2 banks today to set-up a business account with them as I don't think the law will allow me to us my personal bank account for business transations

orc30orc30
I wouldn't have thought it matters where the money goes from your business transactions (personal or business account) as long as it is all declared accordingly. Perhaps the best thing to do is speak to HMRC about being self employed as they run some courses on what needs to be done for tax and stuff. As long as you keep a proper business record then I am sure it will not be a problem using a personal account. Then once business gets going you can go back to the banks for a business account.

The web company I used was www.1and1.co.uk and they will provide the web space and tools to create the site. They can also provide a domain name and probably secure payment facilities as well.

Good luck.

milkymummilkymum
Thanks for that Owen will take a look at the link later greatly appreciated

milkymummilkymum
posted 8 years 3 weeks ago
Found web-space that is free know all I need ot do is decide on the name. I can't decide between shortiestreasurechest, harmonyheaven, toyparadise or babychildrenandmore.

Which one do you think is best or do you have another idea for a name. I need it to stand out, to make people think ooh whats this and click on my web-site and take a look. But I also think that the web name needs to be short but to the point of what the site is all about. To start with the site is just going to be toys of various rangers but in th efuture it is going ot have pushchairs, cots, bedding, home-made canvas pictures and cards, maternity range and a special events section where I will do things for mothers day, fathers day, etc

rhosynrhosyn
posted 8 years 1 week ago
milkymum, if you'd like to chat about setting up your business, I'm no expert but I have just done it Wink so if you to chat feel free to pm me for my number x

milkymummilkymum
posted 7 years 11 months ago
I've had to put my business on hold for a while as my world is falling apart. My EJ has just been diagnosed with epilepsy and I am getting my head around this and doing lots of research on the different diets the neuro-consultant spoke ot me about trying him on before we do a drug route with him due to his age.

Thank you all fo royur advice on how to get th ebusiness up and running and once I have got the kids medical issues sorted I will be re-starting the business plans all over again. Any ideas on toys that are hard to find please let m eknow and I will do research on finding them and I will add all toy idea's to my list for the future

rhosynrhosyn
milkymum, thinking of you xx

milkymummilkymum
Thanks I am still getting my head around the fact that EJ has epileptic episodes and I keep catching myself counting down the days until I see the consultant next at the hospital. If its not on ething its another

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews