Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Our first ever parenting debate-AHHH!

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 8 years 3 months ago
Steve and I pretty much always agree on things when it comes to the children, their upbringing, discipline, values, behaviour etc. But tonight has brought up our first ever real disagreement. He has decided he wants to put the video player and our old spare portable tv in the kids room. I am totally against this, I don't think kids should have a tv in their room until they are older and up until now I'm certain he thought the same so I don't know why he wants to do this now Shrug I feel silly making a fuss about it but I feel really strongly about it and I almost feel like a defiant child by wanting to take the tv and video away and hiding them so he can't set them up in the kid's room. I've never felt like this before because inspite of any spats we may have we have never differed in our views on what's best for the kids. I do feel really silly and miffed now Mad

Join JustParents to remove this advert

samtiffsamtiff
Don't feel silly. Smile You have a strong point of view on something which is a fundamental parenting position. I have to say I agree with you on the TV thing, they seem a little young to me. But I reckon you are asking for support on here not for your actual decision but on how to deal with the difference of opinion.
I am not sure what conversations (or arguments) you have already had but would it be possible to do a Pro's and Con's list with Steve. A calm conversation where you can both think about the other side. So you come up with Pro's as well as your list of Con's and he does the same. Then you are demonstrating that you re not being bloody minded but have really thought about this subject.
Maybe this will help to keep the discussion calm and you can both be heard.

It might be that he thinks it would make life easier for you, what with the baba being on the way too, so you can use it as a way to get some restbite from the little ones. Whatever his reasoning, and yours, this gives you a way to get all your feelings out in the open on this subject with less emotion.
I hope you get it sorted. It sounds like Steve and you are usually a united front so I am sure you will be OK. But please don't feel silly about it. It is hard to find out you disagree about things that are close to your heart - like the welfare of your children. Your reaction is just one of frustration I think, that you cannot get your point across and make him realise how much this means to you.
Good luck anyway..... I am sure you will get it all sorted to both your satisfactions. Hug

GTTkelGTTkel
Well after that night he never mentioned it again, and yesterday we were starting to clear out some stuff and I said, "We should put that portable in the kitchen when we move to the new place" and he agreed so he must have thought better of it!

WkdblueWkdblue
George is 4 and has had a dvd/tv combi in his room for a year now. He can'twatch tv on it as it only had one of those daft wee ariels and it's not worthwhile getting another socket installed when it'll be useless in a few years. All he uses it for is watching his dvds and even then, it's only when he waked up too early to come and get Ronnie or myself.

I don't see anything wrong with a tv in the room as long as it's either like his or had everything apart from the kids channels locked.

Guess it's each ot their own though and what I suits us will make others see red!

ElementaryElementary
glad it was all resolved fairly easily

flyingflying
- My blog
when I have disagreement with others,I always tell myself calm down.it's not easy to convince a person.and we will have the same idea at last

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews