Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Does anyone else think that...

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 8 years 5 months ago
Some midwives would rather a woman who's had previous sections, whether it be 1 or more, would just give in to another 1 cuz it's easier for themselves and not the mother?

I'm just reflecting on the attitude of the midwife who accompanied the consultant I saw on friday last week who couldn't emphasise enough her own preference at me having yet another section rather than try for a vaginal delivery that would mean whoever got me if and when I go into labour naturally without any hiccups like blood pressure issues would have to monitor me continuously throughout! Frustrated

I hope I do get her so I can p Angry her right off!

Lou x

Join JustParents to remove this advert

WolfblassWolfblass
I've no experince hunni, in the c-section dpet, but i get the feling alot of them cannot be bothered anyway... Bad!

WelshMumWelshMum
It's annoying that they are like that at all- they're meant to be helping the mother not worrying about how long they'll be doing their job for. I know the NHS is hard up as far as lack of mw's and nurses go but surely they are making matters worse by keeping someone in hospital longer than they need to be and cs's cost a lot more than a normal delivery anyway!

A friend of mine is training to be a midwife and she's had 4 kids of her own (although none were born by cs, she had different experiences with each 1 ranging from gestational diabetes to premature baby) and she was working with a midwife recently that hasn't had a child of her own so she hasn't experienced labour/birth herself and didn't seem to know what she was doing as she was expecting the woman that was delivering at the time to give birth lying flat on her back! Shrug

What is going on with these hospitals?! Tell Off

Lou x

angelsmomangelsmom
have to say mine were ok with me goin for a vbac. my friend had more trouble goin for another cs. (with her first she was pushin for 4 hours before they took her for cs, she didnt wanna risk it again). the community midwife told me one set of rules ie, u have to go in str8 away whn labour starts, ull be moniterd all the time, wont be allowed in water.
when my contractions started i rang hospital, was told to wait until it was unbearable.
think i was on the moniter but not all the time n didnt have a mw in all the time she popped in until i was in established labour.
and had a bath for about an hour, not like a birthing pool but a proper bath.

WelshMumWelshMum
Saw my midwife yesterday and relayed the decisions the consultant had come up with and she doesn't get him at all!! She doesn't see why he needs me to go down for an internal next week when the other 2 didn't arrive 'til they were gone 'term', and I'll only be 37 wks+5 when I see him- nor why I should have to travel half an hour to the hospital once a week thereafter for a BP check that she can do in the clinic! She also said that if she thought I was being silly for wanting to go for natural delivery she would have advised me against not having a c-section a long time ago.

What gets me is how quick they are to make life easier for themselves rather than respect the mother's wishes. I had post-natal depression after I had my first-born 12 years ago which I totally put down to the chaos of it all when I went into the hospital to have him. I had gone there with raised BP, they monitored me for an hour or so but couldn't decide whether to send me home or induce me at that stage. According to James' dad, they had given me a fraction (0.13 instead of 13ml) of the dosage that they were meant to give me of an intravenous medication to lower my BP. As a result of the drip clearly not working, they started talking about a c-section which completely freaked me out as I'd never had surgery for anything in my life up 'til then and no-one in my family had had a caesarean either so I had no understanding of it other than what I'd read briefly about but as my Mum had had the same problem at the the end of her pregnancy with me and had simply been induced I assumed I would just get the same.

When I had Gemma, my BP had started to rise 2 days before I had her but not severely and as it had been detected when I had gone to the hospital for a sweep they just told me to come in for observation over that weekend (this was on a friday). By Saturday evening, my BP was fine and they were going to send me home the next day but as it happens when they monitored me Sunday morning Gemma was in distress so I was booked into theatre for that afternoon.

As with the other 2 pregnancies, I have been fine all the way through with no problems whatsoever- I just hope that baby decides to make an entrance sooner rather than later so they don't use my due date against me as well!

Lou x

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews