Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Help needed with getting rid of the stabilsers!!!

AlexAlex Moderator
posted 8 years 7 months ago
Joseph still has stabilsers on his bike and everytime I go to take them off he goes MAD and I have to leave them. This time last year Joseph couldn't ride a bike (his co-ordination on a bike was shocking!LOL although he could go a trike) Anyway his bike is too small for him now but his next bike is a good heavy one that I dont think I could get stabilers for and my little nephew is now ready for a bike and I said he could have Joseph's!!

Whats the best way to go about taking them off?

Join JustParents to remove this advert

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
hhmmmmm..... could they be 'accidentily broken"? Naughty Suspect maybe unscrew theml and tell him they came off because they were too old or something? I know lying isn't good, but sometimes a little "story" can't hurt (you can fess up to him when he's older!!)

WolfblassWolfblass

hapydazy said:
hhmmmmm..... could they be 'accidentily broken"? Naughty Suspect maybe unscrew theml and tell him they came off because they were too old or something? I know lying isn't good, but sometimes a little "story" can't hurt (you can fess up to him when he's older!!)

Cool and cunning idea Tams!

SamuelSamuel
Yep, break them, unscrew the stabilisers so they only just stay on, that way the next time he rides his bike they will fall off.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
I also think the 'Sorry, they're broken' idea is the best hun! Or could you just take them off and then do the i'll hold the back of the bike trick? When he gets going, let go? That's how my dad made me give up the stabilisers? You could also try explaining that his little cousin really needs a bike and as he has a nice new big boy bike you though he may like to give his little cousin his? Being sly is usually the best way? And making them feel like they are helping someone or it was their idea in the first place? haha Xx

LucyLucy
take one off, hell not notice that, and when hes more confident raise it a little so its not touching the ground, but if he tips its still there.

Tom was very nervous, he fell off his bike and didnt ride it again for 3 years, but this is what we did when he got more nerve.

It took a couple of weeks and off he went

AlexAlex Moderator
Thanks for the advice, hopefully next weekend will be dry and I can out it to the test Very Happy

LucyLucy
let us know how he went

orc30orc30
Make it a condition of the new bike!

By the way you can get stabilisers for bigger bikes. Unless Joseph is huge then it shouldn't be a problem to get him stabilisers. Wish I had some time to get my youngest two to ride their bikes (6.5 and 5), still both with stabilisers and don't look anywhere near ready to have them off.

kristagkristag
I would opt for just having the one on or, as has been said, raising them so that they are off the ground and only there if he tips up a bit. That way he'll feel more grown up too - perhaps saying it's being more grown up by having one it will encourage him? Hope it works out Thumbs Up

AlexAlex Moderator
Today has been the first chance (and dry day) to try this.

I just told him he was too big for stabilisers and they were coming because he needs to move onto the bigger bike so his cousin can have the little bike, and he accepted it.

we were out for ages, and I have a sore back, it is not easy being 5ft 11 and trying to hold onto the seat of a little bike Rolling Eyes . Anyway he did really well, he tried hard and I let go a few times and he peddled for a bit before toppling over. Hoping tomorrow is nice and we can go out again. We Will Crack This!!!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews