Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Does anyone else know about this? Health in Pregnancy grant

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 8 years 8 months ago
Was reading about (and have just looked at on HMRC website) a grant that is available to all mums-to-be regardless of income that are due to give birth on or after 6 April 2009. Basically you get a form from midwife when you reach 25 weeks which MW fills in and doc signs then you have 31 days to send it off to HMRC, then sometime from April onwards (if you are eligible to send in now) you'll receive a one-off payment of £190 to help keep you healthy and give you help with any little extras you might need for bubs. Only thing is, it's per pregnancy not per baby so if you are having twins or more you will still only receive £190. Something's better than nothing, girls- so GET IN THERE! Clapping

Go to direct.gov.uk/money4mum2b

Lou x


Join JustParents to remove this advert

WolfblassWolfblass
posted 8 years 8 months ago
Sooooo not fair, i miss out on this by 3 weeks! Sad Sad

However i have been encouraged to apply for the Maternity Sure Start grant as we are on a higher level of tax credit as DP doesn't take drawings from the business atm....

eamesy88eamesy88
posted 8 years 8 months ago
- My blog
We read about this late the other night and spoke to the midwife about it yesterday and she didnt kniow anything about it so is going to find out and let us know more when we see her in four weeks time as apparently you get forms from the midwife.
Beccy- you think 3 weeks is bad, as annoying as it is my mate is due 2nd april so misses by 4 days

SamuelSamuel
posted 8 years 8 months ago
My mother signs for these, it isn't always a one off parent, most of her patients recieve food tokens that can only be used on milk, fresh veg and fresh fruit, you can get tokens towards breast pumps and breast pads (you aren't allowed any tokens that can buy formula or products aimed at formula), you can get tokens towards cloth nappies and then bottom creams, baby wash etc. The midwife can also refuse to sign for you if you smoke, drink alcohol, or doing anything that will put the baby at risk.

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 8 years 8 months ago

Samuel said:
My mother signs for these, it isn't always a one off parent, most of her patients recieve food tokens that can only be used on milk, fresh veg and fresh fruit, you can get tokens towards breast pumps and breast pads (you aren't allowed any tokens that can buy formula or products aimed at formula), you can get tokens towards cloth nappies and then bottom creams, baby wash etc. The midwife can also refuse to sign for you if you smoke, drink alcohol, or doing anything that will put the baby at risk.


Yeah but is that like the milk token thing that you get through low income? In the way they were wording it on the HMRC website this was payment made direct into bank account so don't think it's the same thing? I agree with where the midwife can refuse to sign it if you smoke or drink, it is after all meant to be a boost to your health.

Lou x

SamuelSamuel
posted 8 years 8 months ago

WelshMum said:

Samuel said:
My mother signs for these, it isn't always a one off parent, most of her patients recieve food tokens that can only be used on milk, fresh veg and fresh fruit, you can get tokens towards breast pumps and breast pads (you aren't allowed any tokens that can buy formula or products aimed at formula), you can get tokens towards cloth nappies and then bottom creams, baby wash etc. The midwife can also refuse to sign for you if you smoke, drink alcohol, or doing anything that will put the baby at risk.


Yeah but is that like the milk token thing that you get through low income? In the way they were wording it on the HMRC website this was payment made direct into bank account so don't think it's the same thing? I agree with where the midwife can refuse to sign it if you smoke or drink, it is after all meant to be a boost to your health.

Lou x

You are in Wales though aren't you? In England it is virtually impossible to get actual cash from the government for health issues, while thats not the case in Wales, you can even get toothpaste free!

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 8 years 8 months ago
LOL!

kristagkristag
posted 8 years 8 months ago
I did wonder about this as I've never heard of it. Being a little contraversial here but why does any Government have to pay people to encourage them to eat heathily? Shrug

samtiffsamtiff
posted 8 years 8 months ago
I have been looking into this grant too but the application info says:
You can get the grant if all of the following apply:

you are 25 weeks pregnant or more
your expected date of delivery is on or after 6 April 2009
you have been given health advice from a midwife or doctor

So I am going to speak to my midwife about it because just because I know I should be eating healthy and am trying to does not make it any cheaper for me and all the fruit I am buying it very expensive

Here is a link:

Money 4 Mum 2 be

SamuelSamuel
posted 8 years 8 months ago

kristag said:
I did wonder about this as I've never heard of it. Being a little contraversial here but why does any Government have to pay people to encourage them to eat heathily? Shrug

Some women are very selfish, I mean think about how many pregnant women you see smoking and drinking alcohol.

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 8 years 8 months ago

samtiff said:
I have been looking into this grant too but the application info says:
You can get the grant if all of the following apply:

you are 25 weeks pregnant or more
your expected date of delivery is on or after 6 April 2009
you have been given health advice from a midwife or doctor

So I am going to speak to my midwife about it because just because I know I should be eating healthy and am trying to does not make it any cheaper for me and all the fruit I am buying it very expensive

Here is a link:

Money 4 Mum 2 be


That's the one, yeah. It does explain on there that it's to help in the later stages of pregnancy so they would have to expect you to be so far into the pregnancy- I agree though, it does cost a fair bit to eat healthily, it's just as well they don't expect you to only be eating organic fruit/veg on top of it! The only thing is though for women like myself who are due quite close to the 6th April is that there's no definate date when you'd actually receive the payment as they say 'anytime after 6th April' so I may not even see it 'til the last week or even later! Obviously they are hoping to promote healthy eating post-natally too if the mother intends to breastfeed Shrug

Still, it's less money going to the new runway at heathrow I suppose! Now that IS a waste of money!

Lou x

samtiffsamtiff
posted 8 years 8 months ago
Although I agree that a lot of people are selfish, I have witnessed it myself, not being very well off myself (although both me and my husband work) I really do/will appreciate the money.
I try to buy and eat as much fresh fruit and veg as possible but in truth it is more expensive because I am eating a lot more of it.
If I was on an even lower income, and many people are, I know I would be struggling even more.
Also it is nice for there to be something that is not means tested.
I think it is a great idea.

blessedblessed
posted 8 years 8 months ago
ooh yey!! How useful! It is for England as well, right? x

ElementaryElementary
posted 8 years 8 months ago

Samuel said:

kristag said:
I did wonder about this as I've never heard of it. Being a little contraversial here but why does any Government have to pay people to encourage them to eat heathily? Shrug

Some women are very selfish, I mean think about how many pregnant women you see smoking and drinking alcohol.

but then wouldn't they use the money on more fags and alcohol - just being devil's advocate here!!!

SamuelSamuel
posted 8 years 8 months ago

Elementary said:

Samuel said:

kristag said:
I did wonder about this as I've never heard of it. Being a little contraversial here but why does any Government have to pay people to encourage them to eat heathily? Shrug

Some women are very selfish, I mean think about how many pregnant women you see smoking and drinking alcohol.

but then wouldn't they use the money on more fags and alcohol - just being devil's advocate here!!!

Oddly enough a token saying that only fresh fruit, vegetables and milk, wont buy you fags.

ElementaryElementary
posted 8 years 8 months ago

Samuel said:

Elementary said:

Samuel said:

kristag said:
I did wonder about this as I've never heard of it. Being a little contraversial here but why does any Government have to pay people to encourage them to eat heathily? Shrug

Some women are very selfish, I mean think about how many pregnant women you see smoking and drinking alcohol.

but then wouldn't they use the money on more fags and alcohol - just being devil's advocate here!!!

Oddly enough a token saying that only fresh fruit, vegetables and milk, wont buy you fags.

Good - I didn't think they did token's anymore

samtiffsamtiff
posted 8 years 8 months ago
It does say that it is just a cash amount that they give you directly into your bank account and so it is not going to be easy to manage.
So those who are selfish will probably continue to be so and those of use who want to use it properly will.

It's the choice we make - same as with what to do with Child Benefit money.

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 8 years 8 months ago

samtiff said:
It does say that it is just a cash amount that they give you directly into your bank account and so it is not going to be easy to manage.
So those who are selfish will probably continue to be so and those of use who want to use it properly will.

It's the choice we make - same as with what to do with Child Benefit money.


Samuel was saying that in earlier post that the midwife/doc can refuse to sign for it if the mother smokes/drinks alcohol- which would stop them using it for the wrong purpose... as it says "Health In Pregnancy grant" the mother would have to be 'fit' to receive it anyway.

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 8 years 8 months ago

blessed said:
ooh yey!! How useful! It is for England as well, right? x


Well I read about it in a pregnancy magazine, didn't say it was restricted to any particular country and it's the same when you read the info on the HMRC website- you have to be in the UK though.

laineyklaineyk
posted 8 years 8 months ago
Its about time they rewarded working mums to be too!!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews