Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

preg test results question ...

jbradjbrad
posted 8 years 8 months ago
Might be a daft question but would a pregnancy test still show positive if there was an empty sac or I had miscarried. Or would I get a negative result?

I am only 5 weeks pregnant, I took 4 tests which all showed positive, and dr said there was no point in her doing another.

I have no reason to think I am going to miscarry and no reason to think there is going to be a problem, I just feel like I am worrying over things which I dont have much control over.

I fear I am at risk of becoming addicted to testing Shocked !!! It has crossed my mind loads over the last few days to do another test "just to be sure"

Did anyone else feel like this? I think the 12 week wait to first scan is going to be torture !

J x

Join JustParents to remove this advert

soupsoup
yes, i too wanted to test just to be sure it wasn't a dream

do try not to worry though, insted get a book where you can follow babys development week by week

WelshMumWelshMum
I think everyone feels like that for the first few weeks, until you get to the hospital to book in and have your scan it's like it's surreal! I took 3 tests in 2 days, and took sample to the doc's when I first saw midwife and she was the same- no point, it feels 'official' then! You'll be surprised how quick the next few months go- remember to take extra care tho, especially if your job requires you to lift anything heavy... don't do it, I had to tell my employer straight away as there's a fair amount of lifting involved as well as occasionally working with liver (which I thought was daft as at no point was I required to eat the stuff! Apparently I still had to be careful! Cuckoo )- I have been wrapped in cotton wool ever since!!! Don't mind most of the time but bugs me on the odd occasion that I'm bored!
Whistling

Lou x

jbradjbrad
I feel a bit torn with telling my employer just yet as i work directly for the Chief Exec and its not as if I have a different line manager. Im so used to just getting stuck in with whatever needs doing, I know Im going to have to think twice before doing certain stuff (I was out gritting the car park when it was bad weather in December which isnt "my job" but it needed doing urgently so I did it)

So on one hand I feel like Im going to have to say something. I dont want to tell my colleagues before I tell him you see, I feel a bit of loyalty to tell him first cos wouldnt like him to hear on the grapevine. But I dont want to tell anyone too early either.

Decisions and confusion never mix!

WelshMumWelshMum
I would just tell him for now then tell everyone else when you are ready, he could just tell anyone who asks that you are having backpain! Thumbs Up

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Hiya, congratulations on your pregnancy! Thumbs Up Just to add to what has already been said it is totally normal to feel that way. I know i did. I saw my DD at 7+5wks due to spotting too. All was fine but at the 12 week scan i was still convinced they wouldn't find anything! Cuckoo LOL. I must have taken at least 3 tests. I also took at least 3/4 with DS. we were only trying for such a short time (less than 1mth) that i was convinced it was impossible for it to be positive already! I think some of it is the hormones that are already present in droves. It makes you completely mad and paranoid (that's was my excuse anyway! LOL)
As for whether the test would show positive if it was an empty sac it is a possibility but if you had had a missed miscarriage the test would quickly revert back to negative. All i can say is i would try and hold off testing over and over as it just makes you really nervous all the time. It gets expensive too and you will need every penny you can get in 9mths time! haha. I hope things all go well for you. Keep us updated Xx

jbradjbrad
Hi thanks for your replies ! I did do ONE LAST TEST yesterday, one of those clearblue ones which indicate how long ago conception was, and I promised myself if it came up with the number of weeks I expected it to show, that that would be the final test .. and it did !! It said 2-3 which means 4-5 as far as doctor is concerned, so I am not doing any more, I promise Im not! Bad!

Im feeling completely normal, and in some wierd way I feel I need some "symptoms" but Ill hate them if I get them of course! Frustrated

I blame all of this unusual behaviour on my hormones, I not usually so crazy!! So maybe theres a symptom in itself I guess!!! Shocked

Julie x

LucyLucy
i would explain to your employer that you are pregnant as the first 12 weeks are crucial, i think that he will understand and give you lighter duties.

As for the excuse you have back pain i think that would work if anyone else is nozy enough to ask!

WelshMumWelshMum

jbrad said:
Hi thanks for your replies ! I did do ONE LAST TEST yesterday, one of those clearblue ones which indicate how long ago conception was, and I promised myself if it came up with the number of weeks I expected it to show, that that would be the final test .. and it did !! It said 2-3 which means 4-5 as far as doctor is concerned, so I am not doing any more, I promise Im not! Bad!

Im feeling completely normal, and in some wierd way I feel I need some "symptoms" but Ill hate them if I get them of course! Frustrated

I blame all of this unusual behaviour on my hormones, I not usually so crazy!! So maybe theres a symptom in itself I guess!!! Shocked

Julie x

I was fairly symptomless too, got a bit of nausea but that was it! Thankfully that didn't bloom into fully fledged 'morning' sickness, although a friend of mine told me she had been the same until she was 4 months pregnant and then could barely hold anything down- nice! Gag

We're the lucky ones, Julie!

Lou x

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews