Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Twitching with Colic

kristagkristag
posted 8 years 9 months ago
My poor baby girl has developed a 'twitch' with colic. Her little legs go like she's peddling a bicycle and her arms like she's pumping iron and on top of that she arches her back so far she's hard to hold on to, poor little soul Crying

I thought there was something wrong at first by the HV tells me this is typical of colic. I don't remember Jas doing the 'colic dance' as she just seemed to scream non-stop for a few weeks in the evening but poor Sophie seems to have less crying and more aggitation.

I'm using Infacol. Anything else I can do that you ladies can recommend that you used/did/tried with colic? Shrug

Join JustParents to remove this advert

candgsmumcandgsmum
Charlotte had colic quite bad. We used Gripe Water with her but I think infacol is pretty much the same, we used that with George and found the same kind of results.

We found Charlotte liked to be held upto our shoulders (so she was facing behind us) and her back rubbed up and down, also we used to lay her across our knees and rub her belly in a circular motion or face her down and rub her back. It seemed to help ease the tummy pain for her.

George used to like to be held and have his bottom patted. I think mostly it was probably more of a comfort thing for him than anything, and the rythmic patting usually got him to sleep for a short while LOL.

Something I found helped with them both was a bit of baby massage after their baths.

I hope you can ease it a little for her xx

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
I wish I could give you some good advise hun but nothing seemed to work with Aaralyn... it just seems like right around 4 months old she became happy... and pretty much stayed that way for the most part!

She did the same thing as Sophie as well, she'd have her arms going round like she was swimming and her legs doing the bicycle peddling thing too and scrunch her little face into such a grimace and cry till she was bright red... it does get better Kris Hug

candgsmumcandgsmum

hapydazy said:
I wish I could give you some good advise hun but nothing seemed to work with Aaralyn... it just seems like right around 4 months old she became happy... and pretty much stayed that way for the most part!

She did the same thing as Sophie as well, she'd have her arms going round like she was swimming and her legs doing the bicycle peddling thing too and scrunch her little face into such a grimace and cry till she was bright red... it does get better Kris Hug

Charlotte used to break our hearts, she really struggled with wind and was a very constipated baby. I think the fact we couldn't seem to do anything to sooth her upset us the most. The gripe water helped her wind, but she still used to bring her knees up and and down with such force we knew she must have been in pain Sad

kristagkristag

candgsmum said:
Charlotte used to break our hearts, she really struggled with wind and was a very constipated baby. I think the fact we couldn't seem to do anything to sooth her upset us the most. The gripe water helped her wind, but she still used to bring her knees up and and down with such force we knew she must have been in pain Sad

Sophie does the knees up and down thing in her moses basket. Her little face screws up and she looks so uncomfortable. It's when they do that little grizzle before the big cry that's the saddest isn't it Crying

Sarah - Sophie likes her bottom patted too. Isn't that strange as it obviously does bug*er all for the wind Shrug However, she won't relax for me to do a baby massage although I think it would be great. Any tips for getting her to chill and not wiggle and shout when I try that?

I know it's only a time thing and it will pass but you do feel so completely helpless don't you Sad

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Awww hun, Jake was exactly the same too. I don't have anything to suggest except what has already been suggested hun. Baby massage is great if you can get her to lie still enough to do it? Maybe start off on her feet to help her relax first? Very small crcular movements are good! Also keep an eye on your diet. try not to eat to many windy things, like onions and pulses etc. Also spicy food can affect them and caffeine isn't great for some either hun. If you loe tea and cofee maybe try a ceffeine free brand? Sorry i couldn't be any more help. I hope sophie finds things easier soon. As Tammy says it is quite often just a time thing Hug Xx

candgsmumcandgsmum
Charlotte loved her baths so she was quite relaxed after that anyway, but George always made a fuss and was quite wiggly when I dried him with the towel, so I used to leave him on the top of the towel still damp and rub the oil in (which helped his eczema too) he liked his legs being massaged for some reason that always calmed him a bit. So I always started on his legs, maybe see if there's a certain place to start on with Sophie. George never liked his face massaging so I always left that part out.

MummyMaskewMummyMaskew
Thumbs Up Baby Massage is a very good idea and can be very useful as their is a specific colic routine which was very good for when my little one had colic before she started on solids. Really no one knows a hug amount about colic why some babies have it and others don't so the best things to do is to try and keep them as calm and comfortable as possible which is what you are trying to do. Part swaddling can also help where the arms are brought into the chest and close to the mouth then baby is swaddled from just over their elbows. This also worked for my little one, who is not so little any more being 3 now. When I massaged or swaddled her I talked quietly and very calmly, even when I wasn't feeling it which helped both her and me lots. I hope this info helps and remember it wont last forever, just being their for your little one is the most important thing to them because no one can help or soothe her like you can.

JohnnyNJohnnyN
posted 7 years 9 months ago
I notice this post is a bit old and you have probably not got this problem, but it may help others.

infacol treats gas, and most over the counter remedies are for gas. Gas is only one of the contributing factors to colic, but is the most easily rectified.

my tips would be.
1. Get Dr Browns bottles (if you bottle feed)
2. Dont eat/drink any dairy products if you breastfeed
3. bottle feeders should make formula a couple of hours before hand (or more), and when preparing just before feeding, do not shake the bottle, stir it to reduce gas in the milk.
4. try a colic reducing formula (it is thicker), even better try a hypoallergenic formula like Nutragimen
5. try to feed baby in quite an upright position
6. burp halfway thru feeding
7. Try lactase supplement for baby colic (colief)

these are all simple ways to reduce the daily crying time, unfortunately they do not really solve the problem. If you really want to beat colic there are more tips at my website.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews