Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

As a parent, how would you handle this?

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
posted 8 years 9 months ago
Aaralyn got an award the other day at school for completing all of her homework assignments (believe it or not, she said some of the kids didn't get them, sadly enough, isn't it the parent's responsibility when the child is 5 that they get there homework done???? I feel sooooo bad for any of them that didn't get an award Sad )

So, on the award it has her first name and only part of her last name.... this has been an issue since she began preschool. Her last name is mine hyphenated with her father's. One last name, hyphenated, not that hard to figure out. Teacher's are always leaving off one part of the name as much as I have told everyone that I want her full last name acknowledged and used when the have to use it. I had one preschool teacher even go as far as telling me that I shouldn't have given her such a name, it wasn't fair to Aaralyn Shocked

So, this is her first official award for grade school and I really think it should have her correct last name on it. Would you guys request another one be printed or is that making way too big a deal about it?

Join JustParents to remove this advert

kristagkristag
It matters to you and Aaralyn Tammy, I certainly would ask for another. Why should they leave off any part of a name? Bad! It's like always putting 'Chris' instead of 'Christopher' when you know someone wants their full name acknowledged. Good luck sorting it out Thumbs Up

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Aww, i bet those poor 5yr olds that didn't get an award couldn't understand what they had done wrong. Their parents should be ashamed of themselves! How rude of that preschool teacher. What business was it of hers what you named your daughter anyway? People like that make me sooo mad! As for asking for her name to be changed, I have to say, if it was me, i would. Lauren only has a single surname but if it had been spelt wronly or not included i would definitely ask for it to be changed. I don't see anything defferent here hun. The name on the award isn't her name. I know it will be a treasured item so i think you should at least be able to have the correct name and spelling written/printed on it! Xx

candgsmumcandgsmum
I would mention it hun Yes

If had my name spelt wrong they always left off the 'h' on certificates, it always annoyed me that the teachers thought it wasn't a big deal.

Thanks ladies! I think I am going to take it up to the school today and during the meeting with her teacher just ask if there's a chance we could get another copy with her correct name on it.... we all know what her name is and will still when she gets older obviously but it's that it's the first official tangible award she's gotten in "real" school, so it is that important Happy I'm glad you all don't think I'm making a fuss over nothing.

With all that said, Aaralyn is going to hate me later when she has to write her full name out on all papers that need it Scared but then later she'll appreciate why I gave her the name that I did Yes

ElementaryElementary
I'd definately ask for it to be changed! She may even think at a later date that something was wrong if you don't.......

LucyLucy
yeah i agree that you should say something, i have the same problem with my name i dont know how many times that i get my surname spelled wrong, i sent one of my awards back that i was given at the works awards do as my name was wrong, i could have left it but i earned that award least they could do was spell it right.

Same as the kids, if they send a certificate home and its not right ill say and have done b4 now!

Go girl i know you want to!

I spoke to the principal's secretary and she is putting a request in for another one to be printed. She was really nice about it and apologized for the "error" and said she would certainly want one with the correct name on it as well! So yay! she's getting one with her full last name on it! Clapping

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
That's great news hun. I'm glad you asked, and its great they were understanding about it (not that they shouldn't have been) but i know you were worried they would think you were overreacting. Xx

sunrisesunrise
posted 8 years 2 months ago
Good thing you asked for a new one. Did you get it?

samtiffsamtiff
I hope this got sorted for you - as someone with a maiden name that was always spelt wrong (I even have an A Level Certificate that is incorrect) and now having a surname that people add an extra letter to it really bugs me. Maybe if you get everyone on board early you can avoid issues in the future.

GTTkelGTTkel
I'd be cross about that. It would be like spelling her name wrong! She IS that person, it IS her name so they should get it right. It annoys me when I get correspondence for or about Denis and they spell his name with double 'n' as I always say to people it's with one 'n' to make sure they get it right!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews