Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Infant Gaviscon for posseting

kristagkristag
posted 8 years 10 months ago
Sophie has decided of late that she will posset until she's brought everything she has had to eat back up Sad

We took her to the doctors again today (I'm not liking this habit and hope we don't need to see another doctor for years to come now!) as she fed at 7.45am then just posseted until she must have been empty. She did it for over an hour and a half which worried us.

Doctor said need to get it sorted as it's probably caused by wind. He gave us infant Gaviscon Thumbs Up Now I've really seen it all. I lived on Gaviscon during my pregnancy as I had such bad indigestion all the time and now little Sophie needs it. Should be fun to give her as I breastfeed so have to make it up with cooled, boiled water and give it via a bottle or spoon. Not sure which option will work best!

It feels if it's not one thing it's another at the moment. My shattered nerves!! Crying

Join JustParents to remove this advert

jo-jojo-jo
I went through the same thing with Vic hun,mind he was a bit older and bottle fed but it did work.He used to bring every last drop back up and he would gurggle and sound like he was choking when we put him down after his last feed.Vic only had to have it for about two months trhen it was all ok.Good luck hun i hope it works and its smooth sailing from here.

cmillercmiller
Hi, I've gone through the same with my youngest child, having survived on Gaviscon myself for most of the pregnancy too! It is very tedious having to make it up every time they feed, but it did work really well for my son, and he stopped needing it as soon as he was sitting and starting to eat solids. Don't think the infant version tastes that great, so if the spoon or bottle doesn't work then try using a plastic syringe instead - we have found this the most effective way of getting him to swallow any medicines we have had to give him, and is much less messy getting it into their mouth than a spoon if they decide they're not going to be very cooperative! Hope this helps.

SAHMSAHM
Have you ever seen a SFS [supplemental feeding system] it is a syringe with a tube that can be put in babys mouth while nursing. you could use it to put the meds in while she is feeding.

Hope this helps and her she is doing better soon!

kristagkristag
Thanks for the advice ladies. I hadn't heard of SFS but will look into it. She is still possetting and it is variable as to how much. Unfortunately, she's developing a dislike for the Gaviscon in a bottle and I am struggling to get her to take it. I'm lucky if I can get 1/2 a measure down her Sad

I also lived on Gaviscon during my pregnancy so you'd think she'd be used to it Embarassed

AlexAlex Moderator
Poor Sophie.

Is it the bottle she is struggling with? you could try getting her to take it out of a cup. When I was trying to ffed Joseph in the first few days and he didnt want to know, I expressed and he was few from a cup instead of the bottle so he didnt get used to the sucking action needed for a bottle.

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
I'm just giving you guys some hugs hun Hug Hope you are having a better time of it now, both of you girls!

kristagkristag
Going to try a cup or spoon. The good news is Sophie has put on weight!! Now 8lb 4 1/2oz Clapping Clapping I am therefore less worried now abi=out a posset here and there Smile

AlexAlex Moderator
posted 8 years 9 months ago
Clapping Go Sophie. Clapping Im glad she has started to put on weight now and you are worrying a little less

ellee1984ellee1984
i dont mean to sound really clueless but what is posseting?

kristagkristag

ellee1984 said:
i dont mean to sound really clueless but what is posseting?

When the regurgitate milk after a feed. Like being sick but without the forcefulness of that. Hope that helps Smile

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews